Nikon is backwards

Old January 28th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Nikon is backwards

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 18:19:11 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:52:38 -0000, newshound wrote:

On 27/01/2019 22:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this. In fact more than
annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply
by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner. The
rental company was not amused.

Agree with you about the bayonet, but FWIW the Fuji zoom goes the same
way as the Nikon. Clockwise is the positive direction, going out.

Never had a Fuji DSLR, but I won't be buying Fuji since two compact
cameras I bought have nowhere near the MP they claim.

Which compact cameras, and you know this how?

My "car camera" is a Fuji FinePix F600EXR, and it's the worst buying
decision I've made in the area of photography. I bought it when there
were not as many choices of compacts that have manual control and
shoot RAW as there are now. And, I made the mistake of buying a
camera online without handling it in person. The local stores didn't
have enough of a selection.

Another discontinued camera with technology Fujifilm has long abandoned.

Back when that camera was available there were much better compacts
available. I would have suggested a Canon G12.

The zoom is jerky and extremely difficult to set to frame a photo.
Given enough time, I can frame the scene but that makes it worthless
for street photography. OK for a static scene, but that's not the
type of photo I go after. Shutter response is slow so any moving
target is blind luck. It's not good at low-light, but the RAW frame
can sometimes be rescued.

You chose the wrong tool for the job. You should have got better advise, or
done some deeper research.

The reviews for the camera painted a good picture, but they were about
image quality. If I photograph a tree, I get a very sharp image. I'm
just not interested in the scenes that the Fuji is good at.

So, what did DxO have to say about it? ;-)

Back in 2011-2012 I doubt if I would have considered a Fujifilm.

Our daughter is going to Greece in March, and doesn't want to take her
Nikon DSLR. She'd like to get a compact for the trip. She borrowed my
Fuji for a couple of days and decided she'd be better off with a cheap
P&S. No RAW, but she'd rather have an easy-to-use P&S without that,
so she's doing the right thing and checking out cameras in stores that
she can handle before buying.

There are compacts which shoot RAW if she looks further.

Savageduck
Old January 28th 19, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 01:06:44 -0000, wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 00:19:11 -0000, wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:52:38 -0000, newshound wrote:

On 27/01/2019 22:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this. In fact more than
annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me £200, simply
by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise manner. The
rental company was not amused.

Agree with you about the bayonet, but FWIW the Fuji zoom goes the same
way as the Nikon. Clockwise is the positive direction, going out.

Never had a Fuji DSLR, but I won't be buying Fuji since two compact
cameras I bought have nowhere near the MP they claim.

Which compact cameras,

The Finepix S1000FD and the similar one made before that which claimed 6MP.

and you know this how?

By looking at the pictures they produced obviously.

Looking at the pictures they produced will not tell you anything about the
sensor, or its specs.

WTF is the point in them telling me what the sensor can do if the output
image isn't as good as that? I don't care if it's the sensor or the lens
or something else that limits it. I expect an image worthy of the MP it claims.

A more thorough examination of the image files is going to be needed.

Yip, did that. I get about 25% of the MP Fuji quote. Canon gives 100%. Sony gives 80%.

Besides, you are talking about a long defunct camera.

I don't care, they made two cameras that lied about their output. Every
time I've had a Canon, it produced what it said on the tin.

You should check on the capability of the current generation of Fujifilm
mirrorless cameras.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwwov7yanz74rem/DSF6645R1E3.jpg

Savageduck
Old January 28th 19, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

So what? There are more - by a long shot - discontinued models of all
makes of cameras than there are still-avialable models.

Back when that camera was available there were much better compacts
available. I would have suggested a Canon G12.

The zoom is jerky and extremely difficult to set to frame a photo.
Given enough time, I can frame the scene but that makes it worthless
for street photography. OK for a static scene, but that's not the
type of photo I go after. Shutter response is slow so any moving
target is blind luck. It's not good at low-light, but the RAW frame
can sometimes be rescued.

You chose the wrong tool for the job. You should have got better advise, or
done some deeper research.

I don't disagree, but - to be fair - the reviews don't always cover
the points that matter to the reader. Most of the information in
reviews is about the output of the camera. Things like jerky zoom are
seldom mentioned.

My biggest mistake was not first handling any camera that might be one
I'd buy. The output review should be secondary to how the camera
works in hand.

The reviews for the camera painted a good picture, but they were about
image quality. If I photograph a tree, I get a very sharp image. I'm
just not interested in the scenes that the Fuji is good at.

Back in 2011-2012 I doubt if I would have considered a Fujifilm.

Our daughter is going to Greece in March, and doesn't want to take her
Nikon DSLR. She'd like to get a compact for the trip. She borrowed my
Fuji for a couple of days and decided she'd be better off with a cheap
P&S. No RAW, but she'd rather have an easy-to-use P&S without that,
so she's doing the right thing and checking out cameras in stores that
she can handle before buying.

There are compacts which shoot RAW if she looks further.

Of course there are. The problems is that her camera-of-choice is a
Nikon DSLR and her phone takes excellent photos. So why pay big bucks
- comparatively - for a compact/P&S that will be used for three weeks?
She has Lightroom and Elements, but she's not big on shooting RAW. She
has a steady base of buyers for her photos on note cards, and most of
her shooting is .jpeg.

I'm not a pushy father. I'll work with her if she shows interest, but
I don't try to impose my style on her.

Her best aptitude is seeing the shot. That, I think I can claim
credit for. When she started photography I'd take her somewhere and
tell her find something around her that could be a good photo. She's
good at finding something about things around her that can be a good
shot by framing in the right part.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 28th 19, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Our daughter is going to Greece in March, and doesn't want to take her
Nikon DSLR. She'd like to get a compact for the trip. She borrowed my
Fuji for a couple of days and decided she'd be better off with a cheap
P&S. No RAW, but she'd rather have an easy-to-use P&S without that,
so she's doing the right thing and checking out cameras in stores that
she can handle before buying.

Consider something like the Panasonic GX7, excellent quality and "last
year's" model, so lower cost. The compact models can have lens issues
if very wide-range zoom. A good phone camera can now take excellent
quality pictures, with limited zoom, of course.

--
Cheers,
David
Old January 28th 19, 09:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

I love the image of YOU in his helmet!

An absolutely cracking shot! :-)

--
David B.
Old January 28th 19, 09:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

On 28/01/2019 00:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 23:03:04 -0000, RichA wrote:

On Sunday, 27 January 2019 17:32:41 UTC-5, Commander Kinsey* wrote:
https://www.nickcarverphotography.co...-is-backwards/

Now I know it's not just me that's annoyed by this.* In fact more
than annoyed, I once BROKE a Nikon camera I'd rented, costing me
£200, simply by trying to attach the lens in the correct clockwise
manner.* The rental company was not amused.

The bayonet is fine if you never go from one system to another and
back, but it grates if you do.

Not for me.* Everything in life tightens to the right.* Taps, screws,
etc, etc.* Having to do one thing the other way simply will never work
for me.* It's one of those things I expect to be intuitive.* If I want
to tighten something, it goes clockwise.* If that snaps a fragile
component inside the camera, I'll never buy their product again.
There's simply no need to be different to the rest of the entire world.

cough Sounds to me as if you've never connected a gas hose to a
propane bottle! ;-)

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/...egulator-guide

--
David B.
Old January 28th 19, 12:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

Not for me. Everything in life tightens to the right. Taps, screws, etc,
etc. Having to do one thing the other way simply will never work for me.
It's one of those things I expect to be intuitive. If I want to tighten
something, it goes clockwise. If that snaps a fragile component inside the
camera, I'll never buy their product again. There's simply no need to be
different to the rest of the entire world.

Wow. Don't try driving in the UK; their "on the left" thing (which
obviously violates your rigorous standards) plus your stubbornness
would swiftly prove fatal. As it did to your rental camera.

Frankly, I never even thought of this until now. I've been putting
lenses onto cameras since the 60's and none of them were "wrong" - some
were just different.
Old January 28th 19, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 08:16:09 +0000, "David B." "David
wrote:

[...]

Or changed a lawn mower blade.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 28th 19, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

wrote:

[...]

No need for either of those to be backwards either. The designers were clearly dimwits.
Old January 28th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

wrote:

Not for me. Everything in life tightens to the right. Taps, screws, etc,
etc. Having to do one thing the other way simply will never work for me.
It's one of those things I expect to be intuitive. If I want to tighten
something, it goes clockwise. If that snaps a fragile component inside the
camera, I'll never buy their product again. There's simply no need to be
different to the rest of the entire world.

Wow. Don't try driving in the UK; their "on the left" thing (which
obviously violates your rigorous standards) plus your stubbornness
would swiftly prove fatal. As it did to your rental camera.

I live in the UK, driving on the left is more sensible, as we write from left to right. Everything starts on the left.

Frankly, I never even thought of this until now. I've been putting
lenses onto cameras since the 60's and none of them were "wrong" - some
were just different.

So do you visually inspect te thread first so you know which way to turn it?