Help With Poster (long)

Old December 5th 04, 08:40 AM
Ryadia

Default Help With Poster (long)

Problem one is the software you are using... Eh, what is it?

"jim evans" wrote in message
Help With Poster

I've never done a poster before, and I've run into a couple of
problems.

Problem 1
How do I make different size images on the montage without sacrificing
the innate resolution/quality of the images?

Assume when I start all images are the same size and same resolution.
I want one of the images to be three times as large as the others. I
want the others to be varying sizes relative to each other. It seems
I have to change the resolution in order to change the size. On the
montage image all sizes are relative to the pixel height and width,
and since all the original pictures are the same pixel height and
width the come out the same size on the montage. If I was to make one
smaller than the others I must either resample it to a smaller number
of pixels (which I don't want to do, particularly considering the
poster size will push the innate resolution), or I must upsize the
larger images with the associated image degrading effects that come
with resampling.

Problem 2
How do I cope with file size?

At this point I have created the canvas for the montage and added 3
images. The file is about 200 megabytes. I have 5 more images to
add. My machine 2.6 gig processor with 750 meg of memory is wheezing,
and at this rate after the remaining images are added the file will be
400+ megabytes. I think something is going to give up the ghost
before I get there.

jim

Old December 5th 04, 03:33 PM
John McWilliams

jim evans wrote:
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:40:15 +1000, "Ryadia"
wrote:

Problem one is the software you are using... Eh, what is it?

Photoshop CS

jim

There's comp.graphics.apps.photoshop for starters.

But, to get you started, what I'd do is size a copy of each image before
you start assembling.

--
John McWilliams

Old December 5th 04, 06:36 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
SNIP
But, to get you started, what I'd do is size a copy of each image
before you start assembling.

But then Qimage does all that automatically, and more (including
tiling or roll paper printing).

Bart

Old December 5th 04, 07:57 PM
bob

jim evans wrote in
:

wrote:

Problem one is the software you are using... Eh, what is it?

Photoshop CS

jim

You can make a photo montage entirely in Photoshop, by resizing the
images and pasting them into new layers.

It's a bit tedious if you don't know exactly where you're going to end
up, because you can't really change the size of any of the pictures after
you place them. Well, you *can*, but with each resize you lose a little
more. Also, as you have found, the file size gets really big.

Illustrator is the software you want for this project, but it's pricey if
you don't really need it. In Illustrator you can open links to the
Photoshop files, and manipulate the size, orientation, and much more
without changing the files themselves. In Illustrator, your file size
would probably be under 100k.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply