Question on Flash unit for Pentax 67II

Old December 17th 04, 11:04 PM
James Dunn

Default Question on Flash unit for Pentax 67II

I have a Pentax II, but did not get the wooden handgrip. Is this hand
grip necessary to interface a flash unit ? It appears that the
connectors are in the body and the handgrip just holds the unit and
provides a hot shoe which has to plug into the body anyway. Can I not
bypass the handgrip and connect a cable directly to the camera body. I
intend to use off camera flash anyway.

Next, I want to trigger studio lighting pack which will not be Pentax
brand. There appears to be 3 different plugs in the body for flash sync,
but the manual does not document them very well. I understand that the
5P plug is for Pentax brand dedicated ttl units, but what about the
other two?
Old December 18th 04, 04:31 AM
Michael Weinstein

On 2004-12-17 18:04:28 -0500, James Dunn said:

I have a Pentax II, but did not get the wooden handgrip. Is this hand
grip necessary to interface a flash unit ? It appears that the
connectors are in the body and the handgrip just holds the unit and
provides a hot shoe which has to plug into the body anyway. Can I not
bypass the handgrip and connect a cable directly to the camera body. I
intend to use off camera flash anyway.

Next, I want to trigger studio lighting pack which will not be Pentax
brand. There appears to be 3 different plugs in the body for flash
sync, but the manual does not document them very well. I understand
that the 5P plug is for Pentax brand dedicated ttl units, but what
about the other two?

It isn't necessary. I have the grip but long before I bought it I was
using my old Sunpak "potato masher" both on and off the camera.
--
Michael Weinstein | "Those who cannot remember the
Nashua, NH | past are condemned to repeat it."

Old December 18th 04, 04:31 AM
Michael Weinstein

Old December 18th 04, 02:14 PM
Shelley

I have a Pentax II, but did not get the wooden handgrip. Is this hand
grip necessary to interface a flash unit ?

No. The shoe on top of the grip isn't a hot shoe, it's just an accessory
shoe. If you were using your flash on camera and didn't have a separate
flash bracket to you might need the grip but for off camera work it would
serve no purpose.

Next, I want to trigger studio lighting pack which will not be Pentax
brand. There appears to be 3 different plugs in the body for flash sync,
but the manual does not document them very well. I understand that the
5P plug is for Pentax brand dedicated ttl units, but what about the
other two?

The 5P iterminal is for the Pentax AF400T flash unit (and maybe other units
compatible with it). I have the 67 rather than the 67II and on it you use
the X terminal with a PC cord to activate the flash. The 67 doesn't have a
third terminal so I don't know what it's for.

. ..

Old December 18th 04, 02:35 PM
Randy Stewart

"Shelley" wrote in message
I have a Pentax II, but did not get the wooden handgrip. Is this hand
grip necessary to interface a flash unit ?

No. The shoe on top of the grip isn't a hot shoe, it's just an accessory
shoe....

Shelley,

Unlike the original hand grip for your Pentax 67, the similar grip brought
out for the Pentax 67II does have a hot shoe, of sorts. The shoe in the new
grip has flash contacts; they are connected to the body by a short, 5-pin
extension cord from the grip to the regular body contacts. Of course, a
non-dedicated flash will work in the hot shoe or by the traditional PC cord
connection.