Best Filter for Christmas Lights

Old November 10th 04, 11:22 PM
New Guy

Default Best Filter for Christmas Lights

This group has been very helpful with questions so I thought I would through
out another. Is there a certain filter that would be best for shooting
Christmas Lights? I am going down to Disney at the end of the month and
would really like to get some shots of there Christmas displays.

Thanks,

Old November 10th 04, 11:50 PM
Bob Salomon

"New Guy" wrote:

This group has been very helpful with questions so I thought I would through
out another. Is there a certain filter that would be best for shooting
Christmas Lights? I am going down to Disney at the end of the month and
would really like to get some shots of there Christmas displays.

Thanks,

You might want a cross star or a lenticular filter to make multiple
pointed stars or (with the lenticular) a prismatic star effect. Cross
star filters are available with different numbers of points so they go
from a simple cross at every light to several points depending on the
version you chose.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old November 10th 04, 11:54 PM
YAG-ART

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:22:40 -0500, "New Guy"
wrote:

This group has been very helpful with questions so I thought I would through
out another. Is there a certain filter that would be best for shooting
Christmas Lights? I am going down to Disney at the end of the month and
would really like to get some shots of there Christmas displays.

There isn't a filter for shooting christmas lights, but you can get
some cool images with a star filter.

Old November 14th 04, 04:39 PM
KBob

wrote:

This group has been very helpful with questions so I thought I would through
out another. Is there a certain filter that would be best for shooting
Christmas Lights? I am going down to Disney at the end of the month and
would really like to get some shots of there Christmas displays.

Thanks,

No filter. Use a tripod, consider taking two exposures a couple stops
apart and combine them later in PS to provide a proper balance of
light color and background.

Old November 15th 04, 01:32 AM
ZONED!

wrote:

This group has been very helpful with questions so I thought I would through
out another. Is there a certain filter that would be best for shooting
Christmas Lights? I am going down to Disney at the end of the month and
would really like to get some shots of there Christmas displays.

Thanks,

No filter. Use a tripod, consider taking two exposures a couple stops
apart and combine them later in PS to provide a proper balance of
light color and background.

Exc advice, also consider (if possible with camera) shoot a couple
stops underexposed as a starting point when lighting is in any way
sparse.

Old December 3rd 04, 08:43 PM
Alan

In article Confused writes:

Maybe this year the cellphone-yappin' suv-drivin' folks will
all be using blow up plastic dolls from China and I'll simply stay
home and work in the digital darkroom (which I hate, btw... I love my
hobby when I don't have to do a thing with the photo except copy it to
the pc's, archive and then agonize over which ones to delete from the
active galleries... should I switch to film? ;^)

I agree. Perhaps it is a result of my time shooting slides. To me
digital photography is a lot like slides, and the "get it right in the
camera" feeling persists.

I also generally prefer the illuminated image on the screen to printed
versions -- perhaps it is sort of like a big transparency on a light box.
I like the speed of getting the image from camera to screen, something
film doesn't offer.

Alan