konan-16

Old October 6th 03, 11:34 PM

Default konan-16

just dug out a konan-16 automat
made in occupied japan
lens rokkor
1:35
f=25mm
no.8270

dinged up metal case

dime a dozen?
worth a bunch but nothing with not perfect case?

any ideas on history?
think it might be ? 50 years old

bill
Old October 7th 03, 04:16 PM
kabkos

The camera is listed in McKeown's book at $150-225 for good shape. I have
seen ones with a broken shutter going for $50. If you have a film cartridge
in the camera, that adds $40 to the value.

karl

"Colyn" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:27:26 -0700, wrote:

thanks

so just a curiosity piece, otherwise
worth about zip

Since it's dinged up a bit, it's not worth much but in excellent
cosmetic and working condition, it could go for $30-50..

Colyn Goodson
Ft. Worth, Texas

http://home.swbell.net/colyng

Updated with new photos
http://www.colyngoodson.com

625 and 675 mercury battery fix

http://www.colyngoodson.com/minolta.htm
http://www.colyngoodson.com/cameras.htm

Camera manuals

http://www.colyngoodson.com/manuals.htm

Old October 7th 03, 11:30 PM
Colyn

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:16:06 GMT, "kabkos"
wrote:

The camera is listed in McKeown's book at $150-225 for good shape. I have
seen ones with a broken shutter going for $50. If you have a film cartridge
in the camera, that adds $40 to the value.

karl

They aren't worth the high price. and besides that, McKeown's is
overpricing most cameras in their book..

Most cameras can be bought from camera shops for 25-45% less than
listed in McKeown's..

$40 for a cartridge is theft pure and simple..

The "real price" is what people are actually paying not what some
overpriced book claims is the value..

I have bought several Konans and Minolta 16's from ebay and used
camera shops for less than $30.

Old October 8th 03, 02:21 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Colyn wrote:

They aren't worth the high price. and besides that, McKeown's is
overpricing most cameras in their book..

Sounds like the infamous "internet" to me. I've had two people offer me
cameras that they had priced via the "internet" one was a Nikon FE
for $350 (going price about $130) and the other was a Canon AE1 for
over $200 with f1.8 lens.

Of course both cameras were "mint", meaning they were brand new when they
were bought 15-20 years ago. Neither has ever been repaired (or CLA'ed,
or had the mirror bumpers or light seals replaced).

In reality, both cameras were well used and unmaintained, meaning that
I would have to spend $50-$100 each to get them up to KEH's "bargain".

The good news is that here in Israel the import duty on cameras has be
eliminated, so that a new camera is 17% higher (VAT, aka sales tax,
only) than the grey market cameras in the U.S. This makes a new camera a
lot cheaper than the used ones from people expect to get most of their
money back from when the taxes were 60% (199?-2002) or before that 120%.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM:

Old October 19th 03, 10:55 PM
Gerald McMullon

wrote:

The camera is listed in McKeown's book at $150-225 for good shape. I have
seen ones with a broken shutter going for $50. If you have a film cartridge
in the camera, that adds $40 to the value.

They do sell on Ebay for 80USD, 120USD and over $200 for one boxed,
case with both filters. They also have sold on Ebay for £132 without
cassette.

karl

They aren't worth the high price. and besides that, McKeown's is
overpricing most cameras in their book..

McKeown's largely ignores Ebay and is published for 2000 so is 4 years
out of date.

Most cameras can be bought from camera shops for 25-45% less than
listed in McKeown's..

The book lists a set of grades. Most cameras would not meet the grade
quoted.

$40 for a cartridge is theft pure and simple..

Check out Paciffic Rim and Manfred Schmidt.

The "real price" is what people are actually paying not what some
overpriced book claims is the value..

And at auction it depends upon the reserve and who is there to bid.

I have bought several Konans and Minolta 16's from ebay and used
camera shops for less than $30.

Several people mix up a Minolta 16 I with a Konan. The Konan cartridge
is totally different, made of metal. The camera is stainless steel and
not aluminium. A Minolta 16 I is under $30 in good condition and under
$9 on its own.

See http://www.submin.com/16mm/collection/minolta

Reply to gfg
at
mcmullon
dot
com
Old October 19th 03, 11:19 PM
Colyn

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:55:29 GMT, (Gerald
McMullon) wrote:

The camera is listed in McKeown's book at $150-225 for good shape. I have
seen ones with a broken shutter going for $50. If you have a film cartridge
in the camera, that adds $40 to the value.

They do sell on Ebay for 80USD, 120USD and over $200 for one boxed,
case with both filters. They also have sold on Ebay for £132 without
cassette.

If you watch ebay, you'll see the prices for various items will jump
then later drop. A closer look and you will find most of the high bids
are from new ebayers with little or no feedback who think they have to
win..

Most cameras can be bought from camera shops for 25-45% less than
listed in McKeown's..

The book lists a set of grades. Most cameras would not meet the grade
quoted.

That stands to reason. Nobody wants to pay premium price for a camera
with numerous dents, dings, etc..

$40 for a cartridge is theft pure and simple..

Check out Paciffic Rim and Manfred Schmidt.

Two of the highest priced dealers around.. Manfred Schmidt wants $120
for a 126 camera. That's highway robbery..

The "real price" is what people are actually paying not what some
overpriced book claims is the value..

And at auction it depends upon the reserve and who is there to bid.

Again newbies wanting to win an auction.. And sellers who want
outragious prices..

I have bought several Konans and Minolta 16's from ebay and used
camera shops for less than $30.

Several people mix up a Minolta 16 I with a Konan. The Konan cartridge
is totally different, made of metal. The camera is stainless steel and
not aluminium. A Minolta 16 I is under $30 in good condition and under
$9 on its own.

Both are clearly marked.. How do you mix them up??

The Konan cassette is ss as you say but I also have an aluminum Konan
camera in addition to several ss versions..

Using the Konan for other than occassional use is asking for problems.
This camera is not well built internally and is prone to breakage. The
Minolta 16 I was a complete redesign of the Konan and the 16 II was
even better..

Colyn Goodson
Ft. Worth, Texas

http://home.swbell.net/colyng