How much does cutting-edge AF matter? Watch Nikon

Old October 5th 20, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default How much does cutting-edge AF matter? Watch Nikon

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

Indeed. So pros mitigate that by using dual card systems so that single
point of failure is removed. They also typically have 3 or more cameras
with them (depending on the event) and protect against theft.
Professionals strive to not be late.

IOW: there are many things you can control and that includes choosing
dual card cameras.

Yes, but you focus on things which might actually happen. You
don't walk around with a helmet to protect yourself against
meteorites.

bogus comparison.

Anyway, to summarise it, in your opinion memory card failure is
a significant risk, so significant that you need a camera with
two slots.

it is for some people.

Personally, I choose a camera based on the features /
specification I need, dual memory card slot not being one of
them.

choose whatever camera you want, just don't claim that there is no need
for dual slots.
Old October 5th 20, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-10-05 12:53, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article ,
says...

No. That's not what I said. I said it is not the best source. But it
is a source.

That's just a clickbait video which the author made to gather
some hits.

You obviously didn't watch it. 4,344 is a good sample set.

The information content is minimal, it's like saying
"things fail, and the more you use them, the more likely you are
to experience a failure". That kind of statement can be made
about everything.

And as stated in that linked video where they sample many thousands of
users there is a clear correlation:

Shoot more photos : More chance of memory card failures.

And how big exactly is that risk?

If you'd watch the video you would know:

Out 4344 photoraphers surveyed, 47% have had at least one memory card
failure.
People who have shot between 200 and 500 thousand photos had an even
record of card failure. (ie: half of them had at least 1 card fail)
People who have shot over 1M photos: 77% have had at least 1 card fail.

It has nothing to do with camera brand and little to do with card brand
and the 2 most popular (Sandisk/Lexar) have about the same rate of failure.

Most people who have memory card failures replace them with a

new card
and keep going, it's mostly cards, not the cameras. And if the camera
fails, that card will likely work in another camera.

And again: it's not the camera brand that causes card failures.

How do you know what causes failures? What for instance if the
camera behaves in some unexpected way during the write process?

Indeed. So pros mitigate that by using dual card systems so that single
point of failure is removed. They also typically have 3 or more cameras
with them (depending on the event) and protect against theft.
Professionals strive to not be late.

IOW: there are many things you can control and that includes choosing
dual card cameras.

Yes, but you focus on things which might actually happen. You
don't walk around with a helmet to protect yourself against
meteorites.

Electronic failures are much more likely to occur than that. Making up
poor examples to justify your position is pretty lame. Very lame.

Not at all. You're just peddling to justify your opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean with "peddle" - never heard this word
before.

Riding a bike. Peddling madly (face to the wind in this case) to make
progress on something you know nothing about.

Anyway, to summarise it, in your opinion memory card failure is
a significant risk, so significant that you need a camera with
two slots.
Personally, I choose a camera based on the features /
specification I need, dual memory card slot not being one of
them.

Of course. Two slot systems are for pros and people who value their
efforts. So it would not apply to you at all.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old October 5th 20, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

Not at all. You're just peddling to justify your opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean with "peddle" - never heard this word
before.

Riding a bike. Peddling madly (face to the wind in this case) to make
progress on something you know nothing about.

that's pedaling.

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/peddle-pedal-petal/
Old October 5th 20, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Oct 5, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

It has nothing to do with camera brand and little to do with card brand
and the 2 most popular (Sandisk/Lexar) have about the same rate of failure.

I read a bunch of reviews, and there seems to be a consensus that Lexar has
turned to crap. Ownership change, or something. I was looking for a card at
B&H, and Lexar had an unusually good deal. A quick glance at the reviews
worried me, so I read a little deeper. Many complaints about card failures,
or very slow read/write, and Lexar in general.

Old October 5th 20, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Oct 5, 2020, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

On Oct 5, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

It has nothing to do with camera brand and little to do with card brand
and the 2 most popular (Sandisk/Lexar) have about the same rate of failure.

I read a bunch of reviews, and there seems to be a consensus that Lexar has
turned to crap. Ownership change, or something. I was looking for a card at
B&H, and Lexar had an unusually good deal. A quick glance at the reviews
worried me, so I read a little deeper. Many complaints about card failures,
or very slow read/write, and Lexar in general.

There was also a serious Lexar counterfeit SD card issue via Amazon sales right at the time of the ownership change, and it is unclear whether, or not that has been solved. Lexar from B&H and Adorama is said to be genuine new ownership stock.

Savageduck

Old October 5th 20, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Old October 5th 20, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-10-05 14:34, Bill W wrote:
On Oct 5, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

It has nothing to do with camera brand and little to do with card brand
and the 2 most popular (Sandisk/Lexar) have about the same rate of failure.

I read a bunch of reviews, and there seems to be a consensus that Lexar has
turned to crap. Ownership change, or something. I was looking for a card at
B&H, and Lexar had an unusually good deal. A quick glance at the reviews
worried me, so I read a little deeper. Many complaints about card failures,
or very slow read/write, and Lexar in general.

Could be. I was referring to the results of video makers survey.

Old October 5th 20, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-10-05 15:56, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 5, 2020, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

On Oct 5, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

It has nothing to do with camera brand and little to do with card brand
and the 2 most popular (Sandisk/Lexar) have about the same rate of failure.

I read a bunch of reviews, and there seems to be a consensus that Lexar has
turned to crap. Ownership change, or something. I was looking for a card at
B&H, and Lexar had an unusually good deal. A quick glance at the reviews
worried me, so I read a little deeper. Many complaints about card failures,
or very slow read/write, and Lexar in general.

There was also a serious Lexar counterfeit SD card issue via Amazon sales right at the time of the ownership change, and it is unclear whether, or not that has been solved. Lexar from B&H and Adorama is said to be genuine new ownership stock.

The video mentions issues about counterfeits as well. Not sure if that
was Lexar branded counterfeits.

Old October 5th 20, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2020-10-05 15:56, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 5, 2020, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

[...]

Particularly Lexar branded counterfeits.

Savageduck

Old October 5th 20, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Oct 5, 2020, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Oct 5, 2020, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

On Oct 5, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

It has nothing to do with camera brand and little to do with card brand
and the 2 most popular (Sandisk/Lexar) have about the same rate of failure.

I read a bunch of reviews, and there seems to be a consensus that Lexar has
turned to crap. Ownership change, or something. I was looking for a card at
B&H, and Lexar had an unusually good deal. A quick glance at the reviews
worried me, so I read a little deeper. Many complaints about card failures,
or very slow read/write, and Lexar in general.

There was also a serious Lexar counterfeit SD card issue via Amazon sales
right at the time of the ownership change, and it is unclear whether, or not
that has been solved. Lexar from B&H and Adorama is said to be genuine new
ownership stock.

That just confuses things more. I’d hate to be Lexar. How do you salvage
your reputation? I know that I’m avoiding them for now.