Bad Air & Smoke in my California Neighborhood

Old September 13th 20, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Bad Air & Smoke in my California Neighborhood

The smoke cleared enough that I could get my MA2 drone in the air today. This is what the air quality looks like even when the smoke isn’t as bad as it has been. There have been days it would not have been good to fly.

The closest fire to me is about 20 miles to the North in the Big Sur area. I live out at Lake Nacimiento, California in San Luis Obispo County.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-8FsrLDj/0/f6e6a894/1920/DJI_0015s1-1920.mp4

Savageduck

Old September 13th 20, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 12, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Saturday, 12 September 2020 22:01:37 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
The smoke cleared enough that I could get my MA2 drone in the air today. This is what the air quality looks like even when the smoke isn’t as bad as it has been. There have been days it would not have been good to fly.

The closest fire to me is about 20 miles to the North in the Big Sur area. I live out at Lake Nacimiento, California in San Luis Obispo County.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-8FsrLDj/0/f6e6a894/1920/DJI_0015s1-1920.mp4

Savageduck

Looks better than San Francisco! In many ways.

No traffic, no bridge tolls, lower property costs, and no panhandlers.

As far as smoke goes SF has fires burning closer North of SF, and in the lower Bay, and has prevailing winds feeding smoke into the entire Bay Area from other fires to the East.

Savageduck

Old September 13th 20, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 13, 2020, Paul Carmichael wrote
(in article ):

On 13/09/2020 04:01, Savageduck wrote:
The smoke cleared enough that I could get my MA2 drone in the air today. This is what the air quality looks like even when the smoke isn’t as bad as it has been. There have been days it would not have been good to fly.

The closest fire to me is about 20 miles to the North in the Big Sur area. I live out at Lake Nacimiento, California in San Luis Obispo County.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-8FsrLDj/0/f6e6a894/1920/DJI_0015s1-1920.mp4

You really like your cars over there. Every house has at least 3 cars.

Mine has 2. Mobility is a good thing.

These homes are 13-14 miles (21 Km) from town, and there is no dependable (regular) public transportation service between us and town. This is not exactly urban living where you can get away without a car.

So what did you think about the smoke when you were not conducting your vehicle count?

Savageduck

Old September 13th 20, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 13/09/2020 13:30, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Not a vehicle count. It just jumped out at me. I suppose people that live there are quite
well off and can afford multiple vehicles.

I have more cameras than cars.

For what I saw of the video the smoke didn't seem that bad. I remember standing outside
the airport in LA a few years ago (actually, I think it was 1998 on our way to Hawaii).
Someone told me that there was a mountain range "just over there". I couldn't see any
mountains.

The LA basin is subject to atmospheric inversion which can exacerbate both fog, and smog due to real vehicle/traffic density. Where I located anything other than clear sky, and air is unusual. The smoke had cleared some otherwise I would not have flown the MA2, and I still had ash covering my car.

I've seen coverage of what's happening on the tellybox. Looks frightening. They showed one
house where everything had perished apart from the US flag.

The fires have been so intense, and hot I doubt that the flag you saw was a survivor, but raised after the fire had burned through much as the flag was raised at the fallen World Trade Center after 9-11.

Savageduck

Old September 13th 20, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ed Ruf[_2_]

On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 19:01:24 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

The smoke cleared enough that I could get my MA2 drone in the air today. This is what the air quality looks like even when the smoke isn’t as bad as it has been. There have been days it would not have been good to fly.

The closest fire to me is about 20 miles to the North in the Big Sur area. I live out at Lake Nacimiento, California in San Luis Obispo County.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-8FsrLDj/0/f6e6a894/1920/DJI_0015s1-1920.mp4

Thanks. One thing that photos and videos can't convey is the smell
though.
Old September 13th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 13, 2020, Ed Ruf wrote
(in ):

wrote:

The smoke cleared enough that I could get my MA2 drone in the air today. This is what the air quality looks like even when the smoke isn’t as bad as it has been. There have been days it would not have been good to fly.

The closest fire to me is about 20 miles to the North in the Big Sur area. I live out at Lake Nacimiento, California in San Luis Obispo County.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-8FsrLDj/0/f6e6a894/1920/DJI_0015s1-1920.mp4

Thanks. One thing that photos and videos can't convey is the smell
though.

Yup! The smell is very much there, and when the smoke is at its thickest it is unhealthy, and a mask is needed for smoke particulate protection more than C-19 protection. In that level of bad air quality due to smoke density, an hour exposure is very dangerous with the potential for lung damage.

For those times I have to go out when the smoke is very bad I prefer to use a 3M 6200 half Face mask with 3M 2091 P100 filters.
https://industrialsafety.com/3m-6291-respirator-assembly-1-2-facepiece-medium.html

That does a great job for dust, smoke, and protection from C-19, but is useless to protect others from the wearer’s exhalation as it uses a large unfiltered exhale one-way valve. Otherwise I use the typical N95 face mask when I am out and about.

Savageduck

Old September 13th 20, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 13, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In article
.com,
says...
These homes are 13-14 miles (21 Km) from town, and there is no dependable (regular) public transportation service between us and town.

The closest shop/supermarket/petrol station is 21km away? Or why
do you need to go into town?

We have a local supermarket and a gas station. However, prices at both are higher than in town, and most locals only use those if there is a dire need. I might use the local store once, or twice a month, and very seldom do I buy gas there. They get a fair amount of business from vacationers, and campers at the lake.

Apologies if this questions seems dumb, but I also live 11km
from the centre of Munich. I never go into town, because there
are plenty of shops / supermarkets in the area where I live.

We don’t exactly have plenty of shops or services out at the lake.

My doctor, dentist, optometrist, and most other services/shopping options are 21 Km away in town (Paso Robles). Sometimes even further away in a different city such as San Luis Obispo. Also I like to drive 40 minutes down to the coast regularly. That was before I retired when I had a 150 mile (242-250Km) daily drive to and from work.

Or do perhaps you live in some kind of rural place, far away
from civilisation?

Sort of.
....but that was the idea in the first place. ;-)

BTW, couldn't believe my eyes when I read that you have orange
skies in the USA at the moment.

That is when the smoke has been very thick, and the sunlight has been very diffused, and if there is a fire nereby that adds to the effect.

Here is the Sun through the smoke. No filters needed, or used.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gD7S8dG/0/b73bac47/4K/i-gD7S8dG-4K.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-LnTd962/0/38539697/4K/i-LnTd962-4K.jpg

....and the view through the smoke from the front of my house, out to the hills.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-f8qQPZq/0/6d1cc515/4K/i-f8qQPZq-4K.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 14th 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_8_]

On Sep 13, 2020 at 7:29:45 AM PDT, "Savageduck"
wrote:

On Sep 13, 2020, Ed Ruf wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

BTW: here is a map showing how close the closest fire is to my home.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-JqSHRqt/0/a368f252/X5/i-JqSHRqt-X5.jpg
Savageduck