Batteries

Old December 14th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SteveB

Default Batteries

Hope this is the right place to ask ..........

I need some new rechargeable AA batteries, and I hear eneloops are the best.
I have several brands now that I use, and they are getting used up. I even
bought a car charger, as we go out to do real estate surveys, and having
batteries fail is a big deal. But it seems as though the ones we have are
not staying up as good as they once were.

So, before I spring for the cash, I'd like to hear about what to buy.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Old December 14th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_7_]

SteveB wrote:
Hope this is the right place to ask ..........

I need some new rechargeable AA batteries, and I hear eneloops are
the best. I have several brands now that I use, and they are getting
used up. I even bought a car charger, as we go out to do real estate
surveys, and having batteries fail is a big deal. But it seems as
though the ones we have are not staying up as good as they once were.

So, before I spring for the cash, I'd like to hear about what to buy.

Help appreciated.

Steve

For which camera?

NiMH batteries, whether "pre-charged" or not, do have a finite life of,
perhaps, 500-1000 recharges. That's 2-4 years if you recharge them every
day.

David

Old December 14th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill[_3_]

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:24:14 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

Hope this is the right place to ask ..........

I need some new rechargeable AA batteries, and I hear eneloops are the best.
I have several brands now that I use, and they are getting used up. I even
bought a car charger, as we go out to do real estate surveys, and having
batteries fail is a big deal. But it seems as though the ones we have are
not staying up as good as they once were.

So, before I spring for the cash, I'd like to hear about what to buy.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

I can't speak to Eneloop being the best, however I am a proponent of
the hybrid AA batteries. I've been using the Rayovac hybrids for some
time now and am in the process of replacing all of my standard
rechargeable batteries.

Although they have a lower MAh hour rating than standard
rechargeables, I haven't notice a major drop off in number of shots,
but I don't use flash often. The major advantage is that when you
grab a set that's been in your bag for several weeks, you won't grab a
set that only has a few shots left.

HTH
Bill
Old December 14th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

wrote:

Hope this is the right place to ask ..........

I need some new rechargeable AA batteries, and I hear eneloops are the best.
I have several brands now that I use, and they are getting used up. I even
bought a car charger, as we go out to do real estate surveys, and having
batteries fail is a big deal. But it seems as though the ones we have are
not staying up as good as they once were.

So, before I spring for the cash, I'd like to hear about what to buy.

Help appreciated.

Steve

I would suggest that the difference in life between the best and
worse is not enough to get excited about. Batteries are commodity
products and there is no need to get excited about them. Make sure
you have a good charger that matches the needs of the batteries you
are using.
Old December 14th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

Visit Walmart and buy a load of AA Duracell Batteries. They're cheap.
You won't have to worry about chargers or recharging time. Why bother
with rechargeables of any kind?

Old December 14th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_7_]

Frank Arthur wrote:
Visit Walmart and buy a load of AA Duracell Batteries. They're cheap.
You won't have to worry about chargers or recharging time. Why bother
with rechargeables of any kind?

The ability to delivery high currents - i.e. low internal resistance.

David
Old December 14th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

David J Taylor added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Visit Walmart and buy a load of AA Duracell Batteries.
They're cheap. You won't have to worry about chargers or
recharging time. Why bother with rechargeables of any kind?

The ability to delivery high currents - i.e. low internal
resistance.

Yes, plus theoretically, it is possible to get lower cost/shot for
a camera or flash with rechargeables or with more sophisticated
technology such as LiIon. Then too, if the battery used happens to
be a proprietary shape and type ...

--
HP, aka Jerry

“How do you have patience for people who claim they love America,
but clearly can't stand Americans?” – Sydney Ellen Wade to
President Andrew Shepherd in the movie “The American President”
Old December 14th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_7_]

HEMI-Powered wrote:
David J Taylor added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

Visit Walmart and buy a load of AA Duracell Batteries.
They're cheap. You won't have to worry about chargers or
recharging time. Why bother with rechargeables of any kind?

The ability to delivery high currents - i.e. low internal
resistance.

Yes, plus theoretically, it is possible to get lower cost/shot for
a camera or flash with rechargeables or with more sophisticated
technology such as LiIon. Then too, if the battery used happens to
be a proprietary shape and type ...

I wasn't so much thinking of cost-per-shot, but the ability to work well
enough near the end of the life (or end of charged period for rechargeable
cells). Lower internal resistance can make for faster flash recycling,
for example.

Please don't get me started on the need for standardised Li-ion batteries!

Cheers,
David

Old December 14th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
Visit Walmart and buy a load of AA Duracell Batteries. They're
cheap.
You won't have to worry about chargers or recharging time. Why
bother with rechargeables of any kind?

Because they cost me money. I use LOTS of them. I take LOTS of
pictures. I can carry a charger in the car. I can go to the store
when I HAVE to, but prefer not to interrupt an $80 per hour job to
to toodle off to buy some cheap batteries.

Rechargeable batteries are cost efficient. For me.

Steve

That sure makes sense to me. You have an $80 per hour job so you don't
want to spend too much money on AA Duracell batteries that are fully
charged and you pop in your camera but will spend time recharging
batteries.

Frank

Old December 14th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_7_]

SteveB wrote:
[]
Right now, I have a Sony DSC H1 that's in repair. One of the reasons
I got it was because of the batteries. It was for a work camera, and
the AA's were handy. If I ever ran out, more were just a store away.
Then I got into rechargeables. Mine seem to be wearing out now, and
I want to replace them with the best. I know my next DSLR will have
a proprietary battery, probably, but for now, the DSC will do for the
work camera, and if the rebuild lasts another four years, I'll be
happy.

[]
I have fun with the camera I have, but am looking forward to a better
one.
Steve

... so, Steve, if you got the rechargeables more than (mumble) three years
ago, they may be wearing out and in need of replacement. As someone else
commented, they are such a commodity item now that you just get whatever
you feel comfortable with (i.e. not rubbish at a very low price), and
Eneloops have the advantage of lower self discharge. I wouldn't agonise
further.

Cheers,
David

batteries S Digital Photography 18 September 30th 08 05:29 PM
Batteries Charger VS Batteries capacity [email protected] Digital Photography 15 November 25th 06 06:42 AM
Ni-MH batteries Geoff Digital Photography 10 November 19th 04 05:49 PM
Q: Oly C-750/755 And Batteries zach Digital Photography 7 October 1st 04 09:07 PM