Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

Old February 20th 18, 11:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
M.L.[_2_]

Default Windows freeware to lock in a 3: or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping

Do you know of Windows freeware that has the option to easily lock in a 3:2
or 4:3 aspect ratio for cropping?

Photoscape 3.7
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...otoScape.shtml

1.) select Crop (tab)
2.) assign Ratio/Size-Ratio (checkbox)
3.) enter width / height (ratio)-OK
4.) select crop area
5.) select Crop (button)
6.) Save (button)

Crop ratio will remain sticky.
Old February 20th 18, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

In message , ultred ragnusen
writes:
wrote:

My apologies to Bob_S in another thread: I'd thought the "wrote" line,
without saying _who_ wrote it, was exclusive to him and his WLM15. But
Ultred, your "40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.84" is doing it too.

(For completeness: The person Ultred is quoting is BeAr.)

Shift+C is just a shortcut to the Edit-CreateCustomCropSelection menu.

Yes. I know. When I write tutorials, I generally write them with the full
menus, in the syntax shown below so that others can easily reproduce steps:
Program name: Menu sub menu subsub menu selection sub selection

BeAr was just responding to your earlier use of "obscure", or similar
word or phrase, to describe IrfanView's method, by pointing out that it
is available by a long-winded way, and the shift-C is just a
convenience. (IrfanView has lots of keyboard shortcuts, which - probably
_because_ there are so many of them - aren't intuitive [though do become
second-nature to any regular user, at least those who use the keyboard a
lot].)
[]
Overall I think we have a great answer to the original question, which is:
Q: What Windows freeware locks in a given aspect ratio for cropping?
A: Fastone, Irfanview, Microsoft Photos, & The Gimp (in that order).

# Fastone (the aspect ratio crop is the most intuitive mouse adjustment)
# Irfanview (the aspect ratio crop is second only to that of Fastone's GUI)
# Microsoft Photos (the aspect ratio crop is - sadly - below the picture)
# The GIMP (the aspect ratio crop is, like all things Gimp, unintuitive)
# ?

(And I've seen the later post that adds a couple more.) Looks like
you're (or we're) doing a good public-service job of answering the
question. (Which isn't one _I_ had ever asked myself, but that's
irrelevant: if it's worth asking for you, it's worth asking!)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Security is the perfect excuse to lock you out of your own computer.
- Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2015-12-4
Old February 20th 18, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Otherwise Adobe CC, and some third party plug-ins cover my photo editing
| needs.
|
| I have the situation where Corel Photo Paint (CPT) images cannot be
| read by Corel Paint Shop Pro (PSPImage) or by Photoshop.
|
| I know of no software which can read them all.

SD is living in a contained environment of
Mac and Adobe, so it's not surprising that he
"has all he needs".

I wonder if the CPP and PSP issue might be
due to CPP being a Corel original, while PSP
was bought from Jasc. Also, they seem to be
very different programs. I know an artist who
makes his living doing architectural renderings
while his art is typically stylized aerial photos
or "industrial illustation". He uses exclusively
Corel Draw. My impression is that it's as the
name implies -- more for drawing than for image
editing. Whereas PS and PSP are mainly for
image editing.

Another factor the You're talking about their
default formats. Those are not file formats but
rather storage formats. They store data about
unmerged layers and such. It's basically a
"workspace" file, storing the current state of the
work. Generally if you're taking an image out of
a specific editor, wouldn't you want to export it
as some kind of actual image format, like BMP/TIF
/JPG/PNG etc, rather than as a work project?

I can't think of a time where I ever wanted
to save a workspace file and open it in something
else. In fact, I almost never even save a PSP.
I just don't have a need to maintain numerous
layers for days at a time. If I can't merge the
layers then I'm not done with my current session,
and I don't want to inflexibility of saving images
as PSP. I can open a PSP in IrfanView, but there's
no point. I can't work on it there and IV can't
see the layers. I also can't put a PSP in a
webpage or a DOC, because it's not actually an
image.

But maybe my approach is not typical. If every
time you touch an image it's with a Corel product,
then maybe you have no reason to leave Corel.

Old February 20th 18, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Otherwise Adobe CC, and some third party plug-ins cover my photo editing
| needs.
|
| I have the situation where Corel Photo Paint (CPT) images cannot be
| read by Corel Paint Shop Pro (PSPImage) or by Photoshop.
|
| I know of no software which can read them all.

SD is living in a contained environment of
Mac and Adobe, so it's not surprising that he
"has all he needs".

more ignorant rubbish.

Another factor the You're talking about their
default formats. Those are not file formats but
rather storage formats.

that's what a file format *is*.

They store data about
unmerged layers and such. It's basically a
"workspace" file, storing the current state of the
work. Generally if you're taking an image out of
a specific editor, wouldn't you want to export it
as some kind of actual image format, like BMP/TIF
/JPG/PNG etc, rather than as a work project?

those are also file formats.
Old February 20th 18, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
ultred ragnusen

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

My apologies to Bob_S in another thread: I'd thought the "wrote" line,
without saying _who_ wrote it, was exclusive to him and his WLM15. But
Ultred, your "40tude_Dialog/2.0.15.84" is doing it too.

I had the variable name wrong, which is "full-name" and "from" instead of
"name". This should be fixed. Thanks for being a good netizen by pointing
that out gracefully.

BeAr was just responding to your earlier use of "obscure", or similar
word or phrase, to describe IrfanView's method, by pointing out that it
is available by a long-winded way, and the shift-C is just a
convenience.

It's fine for folks to have minor confusion, as I did, since Usenet is a
flat medium where much must be inferred in the quest of asking a technical
question of the whole wide world, and then summarizing the best answers.

(IrfanView has lots of keyboard shortcuts, which - probably
_because_ there are so many of them - aren't intuitive [though do become
second-nature to any regular user, at least those who use the keyboard a
lot].)

I thank all that helped answer the question, where the answer came from all
quarters, some of whom suggested programs such as IrfanView and Fastone
which worked well, others suggested testcases such as ImageMagick and
ImBatch which were good suggestions but which failed the test (which is
fine), and still others, like Paul, kindly suggested how to set up the
programs to have sane menus such that Fastone is the best answer, overall,
with Irfanview a close second (IMHO).

(And I've seen the later post that adds a couple more.) Looks like
you're (or we're) doing a good public-service job of answering the
question. (Which isn't one _I_ had ever asked myself, but that's
irrelevant: if it's worth asking for you, it's worth asking!)

Yes. I'm an old hand at Usenet, as are most of us here have been here for
decades, under various nyms over the ages, where the best tribal-knowledge
threads follow something like this formula:
1. They ask a specific question
2. They summarize the answer for all to benefit
--- (that's the most important)
3. They try all viable suggestions
4. They report back which worked, which failed and why
--- (that's the second most important)
5. They try to stay on topic, but Usenet often veers off course
6. And they try to post to a ng that is archived by Google Groups
--- (that's the most important for future tribal knowledge leverage)
7. Lastly, they thank everyone and then disappear once resolved
?. Anything else?
Old February 20th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
Savageduck[_3_]

Mayayana wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Otherwise Adobe CC, and some third party plug-ins cover my photo editing
| needs.
|
| I have the situation where Corel Photo Paint (CPT) images cannot be
| read by Corel Paint Shop Pro (PSPImage) or by Photoshop.
|
| I know of no software which can read them all.

SD is living in a contained environment of
Mac and Adobe, so it's not surprising that he
"has all he needs".

Actually quite a bit more than Mac, and Adobe. Not that you with your
particularly anti-Apple, anti-Adobe bias would accept anything referring to
either, as you reject both without understanding either.

BTW; I also use quite a large amount of cross platform software, and Adobe
CC is itself cross platform.

Strangely enough, it is all I need.

Savageduck
Old February 20th 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/20/2018 12:17 AM, Savageduck wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 14:07:27 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Paul wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , Savageduck
wrote:

In Windows however, not so. BMP is the native image format in that OS. i.e.
used by the graphic kernel.
Not being a Windows user, I don¹t understand this idea of holding on to the
BMP format when there are much better ways to go.
don't lump all windows users based on the actions of a few.

I know. As far as I know we only have a single BMP obsessed Windows user in
this NG.

So you've never run into a situation before, where a
tool doesn't support the entire spectrum of file formats ?

Fortunately for me, no.

For Mac users we have a very neat piece of software, “Graphic Converter”
which pretty much does that job. It can dig up some pretty obscure file
formats.
https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/

Otherwise Adobe CC, and some third party plug-ins cover my photo editing
needs.

I have the situation where Corel Photo Paint (CPT) images cannot be
read by Corel Paint Shop Pro (PSPImage) or by Photoshop.

I know of no software which can read them all.

I am sad to report that even Graphic Converter couldn’t be bothered with
Corel Photo Paint.
https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/key-features/import-and-export-formats/

...and if Corel couldn’t bother to have compatibility between their own
apps, it tells you all you need to know about Corel, and CPT.

i use Corel Painter. The only PITA issue I had is that it cannot read 16
bit PSD files. I reads 8 bit PSD just fine. Though that is becoming less
of an issue for me since I started using LR. I reads tiff file just fine.

--
PeterN
Old February 20th 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
PeterN[_7_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 14:07:27 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Paul wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

LR does not read all of my PSD files. does that mean your statement
applies to Adobe?

--
PeterN
Old February 20th 18, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

LR does not read all of my PSD files. does that mean your statement
applies to Adobe?

it should.
Old February 20th 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.windows7.general
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/20/2018 11:12 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

LR does not read all of my PSD files. does that mean your statement
applies to Adobe?

it should.

I agree that it should, but it doesn't.

--