Installing new Lightroom, what about the pictures?

Old September 30th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve

Default Installing new Lightroom, what about the pictures?

I've been using the first version of Lightroom for a while and there are
lots of pictures in the library. Can anyone who has installed Beta 4 tell me
what happens to the pictures?

Thanks Steve

Old September 30th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank ess

Steve wrote:
I've been using the first version of Lightroom for a while and
there are lots of pictures in the library. Can anyone who has
installed Beta 4 tell me what happens to the pictures?

Thanks Steve

Mine survived without apparent untoward effect.

--
Frank ess
Old September 30th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

Steve wrote:
I've been using the first version of Lightroom for a while and there are
lots of pictures in the library. Can anyone who has installed Beta 4 tell me
what happens to the pictures?

Mine all disappeared, too. The files were still there, but only gray
frames appeared in the library. I fixed it by removing all the pictures
from the library (NOT "Remove and Trash," just "Remove") and then
reimporting them. But then, I only have about 20,000 pictures in the
library, so it only took me about an hour to rebuild it.

I guess that is one of those things with beta software.

Old September 30th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bart van der Wolf

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
ps.com...
SNIP
The files were still there, but only gray frames appeared in the
library.
I fixed it by removing all the pictures from the library (NOT
"Remove
and Trash," just "Remove") and then reimporting them. But then, I
only have about 20,000 pictures in the library, so it only took me
about an hour to rebuild it.

I guess that is one of those things with beta software.

Yes, but you / we have been warned. There is no backwards
compatibility for settings and parameters or even the database between
Beta versions. Only when reaching Release version 1.0, there will be
backwards compatibility in future releases.

--
Bart

Old September 30th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
ps.com...
SNIP
The files were still there, but only gray frames appeared in the library.
I fixed it by removing all the pictures from the library (NOT "Remove
and Trash," just "Remove") and then reimporting them. But then, I
only have about 20,000 pictures in the library, so it only took me
about an hour to rebuild it.

I guess that is one of those things with beta software.

Yes, but you / we have been warned. There is no backwards compatibility
for settings and parameters or even the database between Beta versions.
Only when reaching Release version 1.0, there will be backwards
compatibility in future releases.

Was the 20 K number in jest? Implying you're using LR for your major
storage and work? Or do you have it all backed up?

--
John McWilliams
Old October 2nd 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cjcampbell

John McWilliams wrote:
Bart van der Wolf wrote:

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
ps.com...
SNIP
The files were still there, but only gray frames appeared in the library.
I fixed it by removing all the pictures from the library (NOT "Remove
and Trash," just "Remove") and then reimporting them. But then, I
only have about 20,000 pictures in the library, so it only took me
about an hour to rebuild it.

I guess that is one of those things with beta software.

Yes, but you / we have been warned. There is no backwards compatibility
for settings and parameters or even the database between Beta versions.
Only when reaching Release version 1.0, there will be backwards
compatibility in future releases.

Was the 20 K number in jest? Implying you're using LR for your major
storage and work? Or do you have it all backed up?

I just wanted to see if it could do it. I have been using iView, but
now that Aperture has fixed all my objections (including a few that I
did not know I had) with version 1.5, I am going to switch back to
Aperture. The big problem I had with Aperture was its single disk
library structure, but now Aperture gives you the option of either
moving your files into its library or leaving them where they are --
and it will allow files to be moved in and out of its library or any
other location, including DVDs. And it is now by far the fastest image
management tool I have ever seen. It is faster even than Bridge or
Nikon View, which don't do nearly as much. And the RAW image rendering
is better than anything else I have seen. There has got to be something
wrong with this new version, but I am having a devil of a time finding
something to gripe about.