Manual focus feature in non-SLR digital cameras?

Old January 25th 05, 05:03 AM

Default Manual focus feature in non-SLR digital cameras?

How well does the manual focus of digitals like the Dimage A200 and
Canon G6 work? Easy or hard or too time-consuming to create soft focus
effects with these kind of cameras?

I can spend the extra $$ and go for the Digital Rebel, thus satisfying
all my manual focus needs. But if I could save some dollars on a
non-SLR digital...

Shnaggletooth

Old January 25th 05, 05:29 AM
FoulDragon

Well, I can't say it works the same on all cameras, but here's how my silly
little Rollei D330 does it.

1- press "zoom / manual focus" button

b- use telephoto/wide angle buttons to adjust focus.

It's sort of slow, and there's a touch of lag. There's no "set to x.xx metres"
indication of *where* you're focussing, like there is by reading the SLR lens
rings

I'm also not certain the small screens will give you the control necessary for
good adjustment.

Your experience and camera will likely vary.
--
Marada Shra'drakaii

Old January 26th 05, 11:36 PM

How well does the manual focus of digitals like the Dimage A200 and
Canon G6 work? Easy or hard or too time-consuming to create soft

focus
effects with these kind of cameras?

I can spend the extra $$ and go for the Digital Rebel, thus

satisfying
all my manual focus needs. But if I could save some dollars on a
non-SLR digital...

Shnaggletooth

On my Canon, you punch the Manual Focus button(MF), then you can use
the little rubberized wheel/switch on top of the hand grip to focus.
You use the same wheel to adjust aperture and speed in manual mode,
click it to change. Kind of puts me in mind of an old Zeiss focusing
wheel except it doesn't wear the finger out. I've used it a lot,
particularly in macro mode where I want one item to have the focus and
the rest blurred out. Displays a bar on the LCD panel for the
distance. The lens is reasonably responsive. Canon has the manual
available for download off their website should you want more info.

Soft focus isn't the same as out-of-focus, though. For soft focus, I'd
rather use the filter snoot and a suitable filter. Not sure what other
makes have available for filter atachments, Canon has both their own
brand(plastic "lens adapter") and aftermarket(aluminum) snoots
available.

Best bet is to try both at a retailer and see for yourself. Everyone
has their own preferences, Canon's particular control combination works
for me. The G6 is a lot more compact than the SLRs are, but you can
still use the thicker CF micro-drives and also external flashes. It's
a lot in a small package.

Stan

Old January 27th 05, 05:16 AM
wilt

On my Canon G2, it works like the G6 mentioned. But one additional
detail...the camera can be made to 'zoom' into a small portion of the
entire frame in a magnified view, so you can more easily SEE what is in
focus vs. out of focus.