Interesting...

Old August 25th 05, 10:51 PM
David A

"Mojtaba" wrote in message
I neither red nor participate

Mojtaba

nor spell correctly.

Do you own a Nikon?

Old August 26th 05, 01:24 AM
no one

Rox-off wrote:

Smarterstats shows me that a total of 283 visitors looked at the page I
put up showing the photo of the plane crash on the 23rd.

Interesting...

I wonder how many people read these groups but don't participate.

Does it show how many repeat visits? I ended up going back to it several
times between other sites while looking up stuff that caught my interest
while reading the group. Say 10 hits with the back button.
Old August 26th 05, 03:17 AM
MarkČ

"no one" wrote in message
Rox-off wrote:

Smarterstats shows me that a total of 283 visitors looked at the page I
put up showing the photo of the plane crash on the 23rd. Interesting...

I wonder how many people read these groups but don't participate.

Does it show how many repeat visits? I ended up going back to it several
times between other sites while looking up stuff that caught my interest
while reading the group. Say 10 hits with the back button.

Hitting a "back" button doesn't register as a hit, because it doesn't
require accessing the server. Most often, that page is in your computer's
memory, unless you have actively disabled this.

Many services are smart enough to identify your IP, and won't keep counting
you (like when you participate in an on-line poll or vote, for
example...they know you'vebeen there).

I'm sure hitting the back button won't keep registering, but it's quite
possible (likely) that return visits (other than the back button) count.

Old August 26th 05, 06:56 AM
MarkČ

"Rox-off" wrote in message
In article , says...
In article ,

says...
Of course the ******s reserve this treatment for anyone not claiming
be a deciple to the God of EOS. If that stopped, all the wise people
of
the world who avoid Canon like the plague, might discover Usenet all
over again. Huh! hell will freeze over first.

While the relentless, unthinking Canon-worship bothers me as much as
anyone, if you really think that's why people get on your case... it's
not.
You'd get the same thing if you were a Canon loyalist.

Actually, he got most of the trouble while he was using Canon gear.

He's just off his rocker.

I hope you're not referring to me. FWIW, during the three years I shot
with Canon equipment I did notice that I had less hassle on here than
previously (except for the Polson-Dallas wars, which I now regret having
subjected the group to).

It wasn't *what* you shot that got hassled...it was your methods of carrying
on about how crappy Canon was ad nauseum... But you and I agreed to stay
clear of that (and we're both happier for it!), so I shall now shutteth my
moutheth. Thounth like I'm lithping, doethn't it?

As soon as I went back to using Nikon things definitely heated up again!

Nah...
Canon criticism is fine and good when it is somewhat deserved...and they
have often deserved it.
You received terrible customer service from them for some reason, and you
deserved to be very very irritated. I've hurled many a frustration at Canon
myself over the years on this forum...
-No spot meter...CRAPPY raw software for years (though I just noticed it has
finally improved), and etc.

Part of what is happening here is that Canon became the market leader over
Nikon somewhere in there. Canon also has raging success in the
point-and-shoot market, especially compared with Nikon. That doesn't mean
they are better, but it means that there are far more Canon users here than
Nikon.
Here's one indication:
I tend to notice the part of dpreview's page that ranks the percentage of
"clicks" different cameras get on their site, and they are ranked 1-10