Just to add fuel to the debate about the canon kit lens

Old August 18th 05, 03:27 PM
piperut

Default Just to add fuel to the debate about the canon kit lens

Hi Folks,

Just to add fuel to the debate about the quality of the canon kit lens.

I entered 3 photos in the Davis, Utah county Fair that I shot with the
kit lens on the Canon Digital Rebel. I entered in the Pro-Am division.

My photo Edinburgh Castle took first place in category - Senic
Landscape
My photo of a Highland Coo took 2nd place in its category -
animals/domestic.
(It was beaten out by a photo of a deer laying on a grave... impact
counts!)

The photo of the deer on the grave actually took best in show. I also
should have cropped the photo a bit more after looking at it hanging
there.

As far as judging the photo of a bride I entered - they said it was a
photo the bride would buy, but not one for competition.

For the state fair I will end up having the photos reprinted on glossy
paper, and crop the cow photo a little different.

The photo of the bride on the couch is an 11x17, and the state fair
only wants 11x14, so I am not sure what for a 3rd print. I have to
think about that.

roland

Old August 18th 05, 04:20 PM
BJ in Texas

piperut wrote:
|| Hi Folks,
|| Just to add fuel to the debate about the quality of the canon
|| kit lens.
|| I entered 3 photos in the Davis, Utah county Fair that I shot
|| with the kit lens on the Canon Digital Rebel. I entered in
|| the Pro-Am division.
|| My photo Edinburgh Castle took first place in category -
Senic
|| Landscape
|| My photo of a Highland Coo took 2nd place in its category -
|| animals/domestic.
|| (It was beaten out by a photo of a deer laying on a grave...
|| impact counts!)
|| The photo of the deer on the grave actually took best in
|| show. I also should have cropped the photo a bit more after
|| looking at it hanging there.
|| As far as judging the photo of a bride I entered - they said
|| it was a photo the bride would buy, but not one for
|| competition.
|| For the state fair I will end up having the photos reprinted
|| on glossy paper, and crop the cow photo a little different.
|| The photo of the bride on the couch is an 11x17, and the
|| state fair only wants 11x14, so I am not sure what for a 3rd
|| print. I have to think about that.
|| roland

Ergo, the subject and composition are most important in such
competitions as long as the image quality is adequate. Some
get hung up on image quality as compensation for technique.

BJ
--
"A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an
optimist has more fun." -- Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough For

Old August 18th 05, 04:54 PM
piperut

I realize subject and composition are most important.
However, I just thought it would add more fuel to this debate about the
image quality of the Canon Kit lens.

roland

Old August 18th 05, 05:19 PM
Unclaimed Mysteries

piperut wrote:
I realize subject and composition are most important.
However, I just thought it would add more fuel to this debate about the
image quality of the Canon Kit lens.

Within 12 hours of fitting the Canon 18-55mm kit lens to my D70 w/duct
tape, my body began to heal itself. The levels of blood sugar and
adrenaline in my system declined rapidly, and my ears and brain began to
repair the effects of nykoxia. The resulting images dropped my serum
cholesterol level drop to 145, and the fuel efficiency of my truck
showed an immediate 15% improvement. I hope to awww crap...

PULL UP PULL UP PULL UP PULL UP PULL UP

The comedy stall warning!

Gotta go.

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net
Old August 18th 05, 06:30 PM
Ed Lowe

"piperut" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Am I imagining this, or are Canon users particularly thin-skinned about their
choice of equipment? Many of the posts in this group seem to be Canonistas
defending why they use Canon and casting aspersions on those who use other
equipment. Not quite ad hominem attacks, more like ad machinam. Users of
equipment other than Canon seem to be far more secure and happy with their
choices.

Old August 18th 05, 08:36 PM

Ed Lowe wrote:

Am I imagining this, or are Canon users particularly thin-skinned about their
choice of equipment?

You are imagining it. When the Nikon Nutcases know they have no solid
ground to stand on, they engage in idiotic debate at the low end:

"The Nikon POS (PieceOf****) 10-55mm/5.6-8.0 is a better lens than the
Canon HOC (HeapOfCrap) 18-55/4.0-5.6. Why is this? How can the people
at Canon sleep at night knowing their lowest-end piece of junk lens is
_worse_ that the Nikon equivalent, a lens that I wouldn't even wipe my
ass with?"

(cf. RichA, et al, recent 'arguments'.)

Many of the posts in this group seem to be Canonistas
defending why they use Canon and casting aspersions on those who use other
equipment. Not quite ad hominem attacks, more like ad machinam. Users of
equipment other than Canon seem to be far more secure and happy with their
choices.

Since you offer no evidence for your claims, is not your very posting
guilty of the crimes you claim others of committing?

Old August 18th 05, 09:47 PM
BJ in Texas

Ed Lowe wrote:
|| "piperut" wrote in message
|| oups.com...
||| Hi Folks,
||| Just to add fuel to the debate about the quality of the
||| canon kit lens.
||| I entered 3 photos in the Davis, Utah county Fair that I
||| shot with the
||| kit lens on the Canon Digital Rebel. I entered in the
||| Pro-Am division.
||| My photo Edinburgh Castle took first place in category -
||| Senic
||| Landscape
||| My photo of a Highland Coo took 2nd place in its category -
||| animals/domestic.
||| (It was beaten out by a photo of a deer laying on a grave...
||| impact counts!)
||| The photo of the deer on the grave actually took best in
||| show. I also should have cropped the photo a bit more after
||| looking at it hanging
||| there.
||| As far as judging the photo of a bride I entered - they said
||| it was a
||| photo the bride would buy, but not one for competition.
||| For the state fair I will end up having the photos reprinted
||| on glossy paper, and crop the cow photo a little different.
||| The photo of the bride on the couch is an 11x17, and the
||| state fair
||| only wants 11x14, so I am not sure what for a 3rd print. I
||| have to
||| think about that.
||| roland
|| Am I imagining this, or are Canon users particularly
|| thin-skinned about their choice of equipment? Many of the
|| posts in this group seem to be Canonistas defending why they
|| use Canon and casting aspersions on those who use other
|| equipment. Not quite ad hominem attacks, more like ad
|| machinam. Users of equipment other than Canon seem to be far
|| more secure and happy with their choices.

No, it pretty much works both ways.

"This cause of exploration and discovery is not an option we
choose; it is a desire written in the human heart. We are that
part of creation which seeks to understand all creation. We find
the best among us, send them forth into unmapped darkness, and
pray they will return." -- George W. Bush

Old August 18th 05, 10:19 PM
piperut

BJ in Texas wrote:

|| Am I imagining this, or are Canon users particularly
|| thin-skinned about their choice of equipment? Many of the
|| posts in this group seem to be Canonistas defending why they
|| use Canon and casting aspersions on those who use other
|| equipment. Not quite ad hominem attacks, more like ad
|| machinam. Users of equipment other than Canon seem to be far
|| more secure and happy with their choices.

A lens is a tool. It depens on what you do with it.
I purchased a Canon Digital Rebel because I have money invested in
Canon Lenses from years gone by shooting 35mm Canon Cameras.

The camera is a tool. The photographer takes a photo, not the camera.
This is the age old debate. Put "Guns, and "Kill People" in and you
have a political debate about people kill people, not guns killing
people. Same debate, same emotions running just as high.

The camera and the gun are the tool. The person, or the photograher
takes the action that results in the final product - the photograph or
the death of a person or animal. Same debate. Same stupidity about
it.

You can take a great award winning photo with a 110 pocket camera, and
you can take a piece of garbage photo with the most advance Digital SLR
if you don't frame your subject properly, pay attention to the rule of
3rds, and other techinical aspects of photography.

The lens doesn't make the photo. Now, if you put a really great lens
on the Canon Digital Rebel you will increase what you are able to do
with the camera. You can gain f-stops, avoid vingetting on shots where
you are pushing the lens to the limit, things like that.

For most people - the kit lens is going to do fine. For some people,
they are going to want a better lens. It really depends on what you
are trying to do with the lens.

However, it is just a tool. If I want something I can really push to a
better limit I do have a Kiev 88 with some real wonderful glass on it.
The thing is not an easy camera to use, as it is all mechanical, and
you have to take a lot more time to set up a photo, and ...well you are
a lot more careful about what you shoot as the film and developing are
not cheap.

All in all, the kit lens is enough for what I normally shoot. That
along with the lenses I had for the 35mm. Well, I did break down and
get the Peleng 8mm fisheye.

roland

Old August 18th 05, 10:27 PM
SMS

Ed Lowe wrote:

Am I imagining this, or are Canon users particularly thin-skinned about their
choice of equipment?

Definitely imagining it.

What is happening is that a small group of posters have turned into
professional Canon-bashers. They will sieze on the most minor of issues
with anything Canon, and attempt to blow it beyond all proportion.

One of the favorite things to complain about is that one of the kit
lenses that Canon's offers with the 20D and 350XT is not as good as a
kit lens offered by Nikon (at more than 4x the price). This is despite
the fact that Canon offers kit lens that is far better than the Nikon
lens (at a mere 2x the price).

These posters have created strawmen to respond to, mythical people that
supposedly attack anything non-Canon. I have not seen any Canon owner
ever attack another brand of camera, or the people that use them. What I
have seen, and what I have done personally, is to calmly point out the
pros and cons of each model of digital SLR. This includes pointing out
the facts regarding the availability of lenses, the performance at high
ISO settings, the availability of certain accessories, etc. This
information is essential to those people looking for read advice, that
goes beyond the useless "find a good store," or "buy a camera that you
like the feel of."

All models have their pros and cons, including Canon. I would not
recommend that someone who requires spot-metering by a Canon 20D or
350xt--they don't have it, just as I would not recommend someone that
has a need for the best high ISO performance, buy anything other than
Canon. I have cameras from Olympus, Minolta, Canon, and Fuji, and each
has their strong points and weak points, which I am not afraid to admit.

As to the motivation of the Canon-bashers, it's a combination of
insecurity, jealousy, anger, and the need for attention. Their posts are
pointless. They will not convince newbies of anything with that type of
attack, nor will they offend any current Canon owner, because their
attacks are so transparent.