SLR bodies with "old standard" lens mount?

Old September 1st 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rex B

Default SLR bodies with "old standard" lens mount?

I have seen references to this in several threads, but no real
information. Apparently Nikon and other DSLRs accept "legacy" lenses
that one might have from their 35mm kit in the closet.
I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
point me to a link.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Old September 1st 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

Rex B wrote:
I have seen references to this in several threads, but no real
information. Apparently Nikon and other DSLRs accept "legacy" lenses
that one might have from their 35mm kit in the closet.

I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
point me to a link.

You can use just about any old Pentax lens with the IstD series. The
only ones to watch out for are a few very old M42 threaded lenses with
longer than normal threads on (used with a PK bayonet adapter).
Everything from PK onwards that I have tried works without problem.
There have been other threads about this here before...

The default action for manual focus lenses is not to let you take an
out of focus picture with an in-focus indicator. Provided the lenses
are good ones they work fine.

The only thing I miss occasionally is the fish-eye. Still need to use
real film for that.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old September 1st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rex B

Martin Brown wrote:
Rex B wrote:
I have seen references to this in several threads, but no real
information. Apparently Nikon and other DSLRs accept "legacy" lenses
that one might have from their 35mm kit in the closet.

I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
point me to a link.

You can use just about any old Pentax lens with the IstD series. The
only ones to watch out for are a few very old M42 threaded lenses with
longer than normal threads on (used with a PK bayonet adapter).
Everything from PK onwards that I have tried works without problem.
There have been other threads about this here before...

I'll search again, must have used the wrong writeria

The default action for manual focus lenses is not to let you take an
out of focus picture with an in-focus indicator. Provided the lenses
are good ones they work fine.

The only thing I miss occasionally is the fish-eye. Still need to use
real film for that.

That's helpful. Thanks Martin.
Old September 1st 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RK

With an adapter my PK lenses work beautifully on my Oly E-300 in either
Program or Aperture preferred modes. Since they were manual focus to
begin with I have lost nothing -- and the Oly sensor grabs the center
of the lens where resolution is best. Only downside is that I cannot
use spot metering with them.

Old September 2nd 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

Rex B wrote:
: I have seen references to this in several threads, but no real
: information. Apparently Nikon and other DSLRs accept "legacy" lenses
: that one might have from their 35mm kit in the closet.
: I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
: lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
: point me to a link.

I have a Pentax *ist-DS that I got in part because I had a ton of old
(1970's era) Pentax "K mount" lenses. They do work. But since the old
lenses do not have auto focus or electric reporting of focal length there
were many functions that could not be used. Obviously focus was
permanently manual. Aperture was not available to the electronics so you
had to manually set the f-stop and then set the camera (under aperture
priority) manually to match, while metering was at full open.

So Yes the camera does work with these lenses and as a "gradual purchase"
plan, it works. But once you get past the original body purchase you will
probably want to look into getting new KAF lenses. On the other hand, if
your "old" lenses are not quite as old as mine, and have auto focus and
an "A" setting on the aperture ring, the old lenses will be fully
functional on the new body.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old September 2nd 06, 07:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeremy

Rex B wrote:
I have seen references to this in several threads, but no real
information. Apparently Nikon and other DSLRs accept "legacy" lenses
that one might have from their 35mm kit in the closet.

I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
point me to a link.

Don't bother with manual focus lenses on digital cameras. Optically they
work great, however with most cameras you'll have no metering or automation.
You can use these in a studio but they are almost useless in the field.

Old September 2nd 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bongo rule

"jeremy" wrote in message
Rex B wrote:
I have seen references to this in several threads, but no real
information. Apparently Nikon and other DSLRs accept "legacy" lenses
that one might have from their 35mm kit in the closet.

I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
point me to a link.

Don't bother with manual focus lenses on digital cameras. Optically they
work great, however with most cameras you'll have no metering or
automation. You can use these in a studio but they are almost useless in
the field.

i have a nikon d50 and i find i mostly use every setting on manual instead
of using the autosettings,
well im ecentric but im happier this way

Old September 2nd 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
barrett

jeremy wrote:
Rex B wrote:
I have seen references to this in several threads, but no real
information. Apparently Nikon and other DSLRs accept "legacy" lenses
that one might have from their 35mm kit in the closet.
I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
point me to a link.

Don't bother with manual focus lenses on digital cameras. Optically they
work great, however with most cameras you'll have no metering or automation.
You can use these in a studio but they are almost useless in the field.

i have no personal experience with the old lenses, yet, but there is
ample documentation and testimony to verify that the old lenses both
mount and meter with the new bodies.

depending on the lens, there may be limitations to the degree of
automation, but these will not be crippling limitations (e.g., you may
have to manually stop-down the aperture, but you'll be able to meter
accurately).

what you say is true about many other brands/models (it's why i sold off
all my old nikon film equipment when going digital). but it's not true
about Pentax lenses/cameras.

barrett
Old September 3rd 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Rex B wrote:

I have seen references to this in several threads, but no real
information. Apparently Nikon and other DSLRs accept "legacy" lenses
that one might have from their 35mm kit in the closet.

I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
point me to a link.

Don't bother with manual focus lenses on digital cameras. Optically they
work great, however with most cameras you'll have no metering or
automation. You can use these in a studio but they are almost useless in
the field.

i have a nikon d50 and i find i mostly use every setting on manual instead
of using the autosettings,
well im ecentric but im happier this way

Yes, but do you still use the TTL meter?