camera bags

Old July 18th 05, 02:18 AM
mo

Default camera bags

I bought a lowepro bag for my Nikon D70s but am already outgrowing it. I'll
be ordering a flash and telephoto lens this week and was wondering it you
have any recommendations for a bag? It is so hard to decide on a size based
solely on measurements! Thanks. Mo

Old July 18th 05, 02:55 AM
Jer

mo wrote:
I bought a lowepro bag for my Nikon D70s but am already outgrowing it. I'll
be ordering a flash and telephoto lens this week and was wondering it you
have any recommendations for a bag? It is so hard to decide on a size based
solely on measurements! Thanks. Mo

Just the other day I was looking at the Lowepro DryZone 200 and was
wunderin the same thing. I suppose we could drag our stuff to the store
and if it all fits, we commit.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...yZone_200.aspx

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old July 18th 05, 04:24 AM
Tom Foolery

Jer wrote in
:

mo wrote:
I bought a lowepro bag for my Nikon D70s but am already outgrowing
it. I'll be ordering a flash and telephoto lens this week and was
wondering it you have any recommendations for a bag? It is so hard to
decide on a size based solely on measurements! Thanks. Mo

Just the other day I was looking at the Lowepro DryZone 200 and was
wunderin the same thing. I suppose we could drag our stuff to the
store and if it all fits, we commit.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...yZone_200.aspx

Ya know, just a thought...so much theft going on these days, someone
suggested that you're just advertising your wares with an obvious camera
bag, so they just used a nice large diaper bag. Probably be able to keep
your lunch in there too.
Old July 18th 05, 05:06 AM
DoN. Nichols

mo wrote:
I bought a lowepro bag for my Nikon D70s but am already outgrowing it. I'll
be ordering a flash and telephoto lens this week and was wondering it you
have any recommendations for a bag? It is so hard to decide on a size based
solely on measurements! Thanks. Mo

One trick to get more into a bag (if you have two or more fairly
short lenses), is to glue two of the back caps together. The knurling
on the Nikon back caps interlocks, and I've glued them together by
holding them together, and dripping a light run of MEK (Methyl Ethyl
Keytone) onto the point of joining, then separating them slightly to let
it run between the two, and pressing together again. Hold it together
for perhaps fifteen minutes (light spring clamps work well for this, and
it is then together forever, or until you physically break it.

This allows two shorter lenses to be stored on end in a camera
bag in a single storage compartment. In my case, it is a 20mm f2.8 and
a 16mm f3.5 -- both are AI and need manual exposure setting. I can do
the same with the 50mm f1.4 and the "28-105mm f3.5-4.5 D", so I expect
the 18-70mm "kit" lens (when I get it) to work well on this same sort of
arrangement.

The 180mm f2.8 (Also AI, but converted to CPU for auto exposure)
is as tall as the two lenses combined.

I use all of the above with a D70, but the probable difference
is that I keep the camera body and one lens out of the bag, so it holds
the SB-800 flash, the stack of two lenses, the 180mm f2.8, and whichever
of the 50mm f1.4 or 28-105mm zoom is to on the body at the time, along
with the charger and power cord, and a spare battery (in a film loop in
the lid).

In addition, a handheld meter in the front zipper compartment.
All of these fit in a LowePro Elite III with no problem, but to hold a
tripod and a collection of filters, I've gone to a somewhat larger kiwi
bag which I already had around the house.

I would suggest keeping the LowePro, and using it for carrying a
subset of all of your lenses for when you know that you won't need them
all -- just to make the load lighter.

One thing about the Kiwi, however, which makes carrying a larger
load easier (including a tripod strapped to the case) is that it has a
belt to hold the case to the body, so it does not swing around as you
walk and climb over obstacles.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old July 18th 05, 05:10 AM
frederick

mo wrote:

I bought a lowepro bag for my Nikon D70s but am already outgrowing it. I'll
be ordering a flash and telephoto lens this week and was wondering it you
have any recommendations for a bag? It is so hard to decide on a size based
solely on measurements! Thanks. Mo

I reckon an old cheap looking but funtional bag is the way to go. Just
remember not to store your camera equipment in it after use.
Some of the bags that I see with foam in them are a very bad idea for
camera storage. They get wet from a little rain, then they get dumped
camera, lenses and all in a cupboard, take days or weeks to dry out, and
act as a fairly perfect incubator for growing fungus.
I found a couple of old nikkor lenses in my basement that I had more of
less forgotten about for 15 years. I sold one - it was stored loose in
the bottom of a cardboard carton, and was perfect. The other was in a
genuine padded lens case - and if lens fungus had the value per kg as
black truffles, this one would have been priceless.
Old July 18th 05, 05:33 AM
Jer

Tom Foolery wrote:
Jer wrote in
:

mo wrote:

I bought a lowepro bag for my Nikon D70s but am already outgrowing
it. I'll be ordering a flash and telephoto lens this week and was
wondering it you have any recommendations for a bag? It is so hard to
decide on a size based solely on measurements! Thanks. Mo

Just the other day I was looking at the Lowepro DryZone 200 and was
wunderin the same thing. I suppose we could drag our stuff to the
store and if it all fits, we commit.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...yZone_200.aspx

Ya know, just a thought...so much theft going on these days, someone
suggested that you're just advertising your wares with an obvious camera
bag, so they just used a nice large diaper bag. Probably be able to keep
your lunch in there too.

Point taken... on the one hand I'm not terribly fond of the neon yellow
either, unless I'm chasing it down the river - on the other hand, the
specs infer the contents would likely survive such a stunt. Or I could
just stick with some other enclosure and stuff it in a seabag which is
what I did last year in Costa Rica when I chased on the Pacuare. Sadly,
this one-strap bag has waaay too many miles on it and is no longer
trusted, and the Tamrac inside just isn't big enough. I'm concerned
less about theft and more about protection from the elements while 600
miles from pavement. Maybe if I strip off the pretty logos and paste a
bio hazard sign on it...

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old July 18th 05, 07:02 AM
Bigguy

I,m using a LowePro Stealth Reporter 500AW with my D70 kit and it works well
so far....
D70 + 18-70
AF80-200 f2.8ED
AF50 f1.4
2 x batts + charger
cleaning kit, 2 x CF, CF reader, notebook, pens. maglite..

Still room for a flash....

Guy

Old July 18th 05, 11:34 AM
Rox-off

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:06:45 -0400, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[...]

What a great tip! I have been pondering a way of getting more manual focus
short lenses into my Magnum AW bag for a while now.

So far in the bag I have managed to cram in:

D70 with 18-70mm DX
F100 with 28-70mm f/2.6 Angenieux (big lens)
FM2n (body only)
70-200mm VR
17-35mm f/2.8
16mm f/2.8 fisheye
105mm f/2.5 AIS
SB-800
Minolta IV flashmeter.

Everything fits nicely, but I would like to carry along my 24mm f/2.8 for
the FM2n. I could do this by hitching it up to the 105mm.

Bag weighs a ton but this is only for times when I am not going to be
walking far. For that I have a locally made backpack that swallows up just
about everything.

Another good bag is the Lowepro Minitrekker. It carries quite a nice
assortment of gear. I'm sorry I sold mine.
Old July 18th 05, 01:51 PM
Alan Browne

I use a LowePro 5 (Nova?) for two bodies and 5 lenses, 2 lasrge
flashes, and the usual assortment of large diameter filters, fil, and
doo-dads of all kinds. Two of the lenses in there are quite large
(80-200 f/2.8 and 28-70 f/2.8).

I keep my equipment in there all of the time, so I just need to 'tune'
what is in there according to whatever outing I'm on.

I keep thinkig of a new bag but to date I haven't found the right one.

Cheers,
Alan