A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Help with bags?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 23rd 20, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 428
Default Help with bags?

With the Fuji 16-80, you can cover a lot of requirements with a single
lens and body. I usually keep the grip on the X-T3 for the extra battery
capacity, but that combination doesn't fit any of my smaller shoulder
bags (and I just tried four others at Clifton Cameras, all of which had
the same problem of being sized for a gripless camera).

Perhaps I need a holster type bag, but I don't want one for a big lens
like the 100-400. The 16-80, 50-230, and 90 f/2 prime have similar
lengths, needing a total depth of 170 to 180 mm.

Any recommendations? I can't be the only person with this problem.

  #2  
Old July 23rd 20, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 16,255
Default Help with bags?

On Jul 23, 2020, newshound wrote
(in [email protected] w.co.uk):

With the Fuji 16-80, you can cover a lot of requirements with a single
lens and body. I usually keep the grip on the X-T3 for the extra battery
capacity, but that combination doesn't fit any of my smaller shoulder
bags (and I just tried four others at Clifton Cameras, all of which had
the same problem of being sized for a gripless camera).


What specific bags have you tried, and do not meet your needs?

What do you need to carry when using a bag, camera+grip + 16-80 only, or an extra lens, or two?

Perhaps I need a holster type bag, but I don't want one for a big lens
like the 100-400. The 16-80, 50-230, and 90 f/2 prime have similar
lengths, needing a total depth of 170 to 180 mm.

Any recommendations? I can't be the only person with this problem.


Personally I find holster type bags limiting, and I end up never using them. My personal choice for daily carry is the Domke F-803.

https://tiffen.com/collections/domke/products/domke-f-803-ruggedwear-messenger-bag

--
Regards,
Savageduck

  #3  
Old July 23rd 20, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 428
Default Help with bags?

On 23/07/2020 14:46, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 23, 2020, newshound wrote
(in [email protected] w.co.uk):

With the Fuji 16-80, you can cover a lot of requirements with a single
lens and body. I usually keep the grip on the X-T3 for the extra battery
capacity, but that combination doesn't fit any of my smaller shoulder
bags (and I just tried four others at Clifton Cameras, all of which had
the same problem of being sized for a gripless camera).


What specific bags have you tried, and do not meet your needs?


I have a Billingham Pro, great for the 100-400 but a bit large for a
single camera and smaller lens.

Retrospective 7, great for one or two bodies and a few lenses. Excellent
design, very flexible. OK if carrying the grip detached, and other bits
and pieces, but the nice thing about the X-T3 with 16-80 is that it does
almost everything.

Retrospective 5, sort of works but it is a tight squeeze with the grip
on. Easy to knock the lens cap off when taking out or putting away.

Lowepro backpack, brilliant if you are out on a shooting session with
all the kit, the "side door" is fine for a gripped body even with the
50-230. Probably not quite wide enough for the 100-400 although I have
not tried that. But that leaves me with six spare "pockets" for lenses,
batteries, filters, and the top pocket if I'm just carrying the one body
and lens.

With the X-T3 and grip I find I just don't need to carry spare batteries
or memory cards (at least for a casual outing, obviously I would carry
spares if I was shooting a big sports event or a wedding).

I have a couple of unbranded shoulder bags but they are either a bit too
small or a bit under-padded for my liking.


What do you need to carry when using a bag, camera+grip + 16-80 only, or an extra lens, or two?


In this case just looking to carry a gripped body with one lens fitted.
Usually the 16-80 but it might be the 90 f/2 and extension tubes if
doing macro, or the 50-230 at places like county shows if I think I
might need the extra reach. The 100-400 and monopod come out for
"serious" shooting of course, together with other lenses.


Perhaps I need a holster type bag, but I don't want one for a big lens
like the 100-400. The 16-80, 50-230, and 90 f/2 prime have similar
lengths, needing a total depth of 170 to 180 mm.

Any recommendations? I can't be the only person with this problem.


Personally I find holster type bags limiting, and I end up never using them.


I've never particularly got on with them either, although I had one in
film days and also found a small one good for the Canon S2-IS (which I
always used with a rigid tube with a UV filter on it, covering the
telescoping lens).

My personal choice for daily carry is the Domke F-803.

https://tiffen.com/collections/domke/products/domke-f-803-ruggedwear-messenger-bag

I do like the look of that, I like bags that don't shout "camera". But
it does look a little shallow, will it really shut over a gripped XT3 if
you have it "lens down" in a centre compartment?

But many thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly look out for one to
have a proper look at.
  #4  
Old July 23rd 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 428
Default Help with bags?

On 23/07/2020 15:25, newshound wrote:


My personal choice for daily carry is the Domke F-803.

https://tiffen.com/collections/domke/products/domke-f-803-ruggedwear-messenger-bag



On looking further, Domke F3X looks close, also maybe F4AF and F6.
Unfortunately local dealer does not stock them.
  #5  
Old July 23rd 20, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 803
Default Help with bags?

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 10:25:18 AM UTC-4, newshound wrote:
...
I have a Billingham Pro, great for the 100-400 but a bit large for a
single camera and smaller lens.

Retrospective 7, great for one or two bodies and a few lenses. Excellent
design, very flexible. OK if carrying the grip detached, and other bits
and pieces, but the nice thing about the X-T3 with 16-80 is that it does
almost everything.

Retrospective 5, sort of works but it is a tight squeeze with the grip
on. Easy to knock the lens cap off when taking out or putting away.

Lowepro backpack, brilliant if you are out on a shooting session with
all the kit, the "side door" is fine for a gripped body even with the
50-230. Probably not quite wide enough for the 100-400 although I have
not tried that. But that leaves me with six spare "pockets" for lenses,
batteries, filters, and the top pocket if I'm just carrying the one body
and lens.

With the X-T3 and grip I find I just don't need to carry spare batteries
or memory cards (at least for a casual outing, obviously I would carry
spares if I was shooting a big sports event or a wedding).

I have a couple of unbranded shoulder bags but they are either a bit too
small or a bit under-padded for my liking.



Because you'd mentioned the grip, I was thinking towards more
professional-oriented companies, such as Think Tank, which
you're already familiar with. Another to browse could be
Kinesis:

https://kgear.eogear.com/collections/kinesis

Been awhile since I've bought anything from them; I recall
their customer service to pick the right product as pretty
good.

Because you're working a body with a grip, I suspect
that their C380 holster bag may be a bit too small.

Their C540 (link below) looks like enough room for the
body w/grip, without going too overboard on lens pocket?

https://kgear.eogear.com/collections/kinesis-camera-and-lens-holster-cases/products/kinesis-c540-medium-tall-holster-case

FWIW, the k-gear typically has some nice external hardpoints
that one can use to attach accessory pouches/etc.


-hh
  #6  
Old July 23rd 20, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 428
Default Help with bags?

On 23/07/2020 18:33, -hh wrote:
On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 10:25:18 AM UTC-4, newshound wrote:




Because you'd mentioned the grip, I was thinking towards more
professional-oriented companies, such as Think Tank, which
you're already familiar with. Another to browse could be
Kinesis:

https://kgear.eogear.com/collections/kinesis

Been awhile since I've bought anything from them; I recall
their customer service to pick the right product as pretty
good.

Because you're working a body with a grip, I suspect
that their C380 holster bag may be a bit too small.

Their C540 (link below) looks like enough room for the
body w/grip, without going too overboard on lens pocket?

https://kgear.eogear.com/collections/kinesis-camera-and-lens-holster-cases/products/kinesis-c540-medium-tall-holster-case

FWIW, the k-gear typically has some nice external hardpoints
that one can use to attach accessory pouches/etc.


-hh

Many thanks. The C380 would be too small, but the C540 looks pretty good
to me. I'll look out for one. I'm also quite taken by the Domke F3X or
F4AF. But there's nothing quite like checking them with a real camera. I
was happy enough to get a Retrospective 5 on-line, since I already have
a Retrospective 7. The 5 is fine without a grip with slightly longer
lenses as you can either put the camera in "back downwards" or "edge-on".
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Casual Bags Richi Other Photographic Equipment 0 January 28th 08 07:52 AM
lovely bags [email protected] Digital Photography 1 September 3rd 07 09:00 AM
camera bags Craig M Digital SLR Cameras 5 June 5th 07 03:08 AM
Camera Bags tomm42 Digital SLR Cameras 16 March 17th 06 04:28 PM
camera bags mo Digital SLR Cameras 14 August 12th 05 10:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.