Nikon D70 or D100?

Old February 18th 05, 04:43 PM
Owamanga

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:28:03 +0100, Michael Schnell
wrote:

D100 has faster continuous shoot mode.

AFAIK: on the contrary: D70 has faster continuous shoot mode.

I think we are both wrong.

The speeds are practically identical, with the D70 having more buffer
space (ie the D70 is faster starting at frame 7 in jpeg or frame 4 in
RAW, but before that, they are the same speed.)

Source:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page20.asp

--
Owamanga!
Old February 18th 05, 04:45 PM
Owamanga

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:30:53 +0100, Michael Schnell
wrote:

D70's images are slightly sharper due to a less aggressive AA filter.

True, but that is why there are (very rarely) alializing problems.

Most important for me (we do have both):

The D70 shows a lot less noise when shooting with ISO 800.

Have you seen this (digital de-noise filter for PS):

http://www.neatimage.com/

For most people, the D70 is the better choice, and is cheaper.

TRUE !

-Michael

--
Owamanga!
Old February 18th 05, 06:55 PM
Scharf-DCA

"BBFoto" wrote in message
With the new rebates I can either of these cameras (D70 or D100) for

$100 difference. Is there a reason that one is vastly superior to

the
other? Which would you choose? Why?

They are in different classes. The D100 is prosumer, the D70 is
consumer. There is no mirror lock-up on the D70. The D70 lacks a Nikon
vertical grip, though there will soon be a slightly kludgy after-market
vertical grip available. OTOH, the D70 has numerous advantages over the
D100 as well, especially the maximum shutter speed.

I'm thinking that Nikon is soon going to release two new models, a D80
that will go up against the new Canon EOS-350D, and a D200 that will go
up against the Canon 20D (Nikon model numbers are hypothetical). Also,
Nikon is reportedly working feverishly on a full-frame CMOS sensor, so
they can have something to go up against the Canon EOS-1Ds, and EOS 1Ds
Mark II.

Look at the comparison table at "http://digitalslrinfo.com." I will
soon add some more columns, including maximum shutter speed, and usable
ISO range.

In short, the D70 would be the better choice, if you don't care about
the mirror lock-up.

Steve
http://digitalslrinfo.com

Old February 18th 05, 08:12 PM
Michael Schnell

"A D100 feature I really like is the brief, auto mirror lockup which
reduces camera vibration at slow shutter speeds."

AH, it's supposed to be an automatic feature. That is why I don't find
it in the handbook. It would be surprising if they do not do this with
the D70. Here it might be even more important due to the less heavy body.

-Michael
Old February 18th 05, 08:15 PM
Michael Schnell

Have you seen this (digital de-noise filter for PS):

http://www.neatimage.com/

Thanks. I don't have PS, but I sometimes do use the stand alone version
of neatimage. It's a PITA to define the appropriate parameters but the
result can be smashing.

-Michael
Old February 18th 05, 08:26 PM
Michael Schnell

In short, the D70 would be the better choice, if you don't care about
the mirror lock-up.

In the manuals of both cameras there is a chapter on mirror lock-up.
Same is used for sensor cleaning.

If you want a pre-locked mirror motion as an anti-shake means for slow
shutter speeds there is nothing in the manuals of either camera.
Owamanga claims that the D100 does it automatically (I donut doubt he is
right) but who did a test if the D70 does not do it, too ?

-Michael
Old February 18th 05, 09:02 PM
Owamanga

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:12:55 +0100, Michael Schnell
wrote:

"A D100 feature I really like is the brief, auto mirror lockup which
reduces camera vibration at slow shutter speeds."

AH, it's supposed to be an automatic feature. That is why I don't find
it in the handbook. It would be surprising if they do not do this with
the D70. Here it might be even more important due to the less heavy body.

...I should have cut more out from that page, but the guy goes on to
say 'I leave that feature switched on all the time'.

I don't have a D100, but it's probably in the custom menu. Having this
on slows down the photo process, because the D100 brings the mirror
up, waits for everything to stop shaking and then takes the photo.

...having just typed that, I found a web page that states:

"A carryover from the D1 series, the Anti-Mirror-Shock Mode delays the
exposure until after the mirror shock subsides (intended times when
the camera is on a tripod). Set through the Custom Settings Menu, the
default setting exposes the image as soon as the shutter is released.
Activating Anti-Mirror-Shock exposes the image a fraction of a second
after the shutter is released, giving time for vibrations from the
mirror actuation to damp out before the shutter opens."

Source: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ND100/D10P.HTM

I know that the D70 doesn't do this because there is no way to switch
it on, and if it was on all the time, it couldn't maintain 3fps.
Firmware hacks may change this in the future, who knows.

--
Owamanga!
Old February 18th 05, 09:06 PM
Owamanga

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:26:52 +0100, Michael Schnell
wrote:

In short, the D70 would be the better choice, if you don't care about
the mirror lock-up.

In the manuals of both cameras there is a chapter on mirror lock-up.
Same is used for sensor cleaning.

This is *only* for cleaning, you can't take pictures on the D70 (I
guess the D100 too) in this mode. Why not? Ask Nikon.

--
Owamanga!
Old February 18th 05, 09:06 PM
Owamanga

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:15:31 +0100, Michael Schnell
wrote:

Have you seen this (digital de-noise filter for PS):

http://www.neatimage.com/

Thanks. I don't have PS, but I sometimes do use the stand alone version
of neatimage. It's a PITA to define the appropriate parameters but the
result can be smashing.

Damn, my accuracy these last two days is appalling. It must be the
recent visits to the dentist have drilled my brain.

Neatimage is indeed standalone, and not a PS plugin as I presumed. As
far as I can see, it's not available as a plugin.

BTW, revist the website if you haven't been there for a while, they
have profiles now for all the major DSLRs available for download, and
I can see the D70 and D100 at various ISOs + RAW vs JPEG are there.

--
Owamanga!
Old February 18th 05, 09:18 PM
Graham

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:06:55 GMT, Owamanga,
wrote this:

Neatimage is indeed standalone, and not a PS plugin as I presumed. As
far as I can see, it's not available as a plugin.

The PS plugin is included in the standalone.