Nikon D70 or wait for Fuji's Finepix S3 Pro

Old September 23rd 04, 04:45 PM
Gary Eickmeier

[BnH] wrote:
Does this interest you ? =)

Dpreview.com :
"For the first time on any digital SLR, a pre-exposure Live Image Mode has
been incorporated to enable photographers to frame and focus images without
the need to use the viewfinder. Activated for up to 30 seconds prior to a
normal exposure, Live Image Mode is ideal for shots using a tripod as well
as effective capture of candid image"

Frame, yes; check color, yes; focus, NO. The LCD on a camera is no
substitute for the viewfinder. Interesting feature, though. Of course I
have it on my E20, but haven't used it much.

Gary Eickmeier

Old September 23rd 04, 11:25 PM
Not Dick Daley

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
. ..

[BnH] wrote:
Does this interest you ? =)

Dpreview.com :
"For the first time on any digital SLR, a pre-exposure Live Image Mode

has
been incorporated to enable photographers to frame and focus images

without
the need to use the viewfinder. Activated for up to 30 seconds prior to

normal exposure, Live Image Mode is ideal for shots using a tripod as

well
as effective capture of candid image"

Frame, yes; check color, yes; focus, NO. The LCD on a camera is no
substitute for the viewfinder. Interesting feature, though. Of course I
have it on my E20, but haven't used it much.

Gary Eickmeier

I could see where this would be a useful feature. (in the studio) but can
you just imagine the batteries you'd go through without an external power
source????

Old September 24th 04, 10:41 AM
;o\)-max-

"Cary D."
I have been planning on purchasing the Nikon D70 for the past several
months. I already have many Nikon lenses. Recently, I learned of
Fujifilm's planned launch of the Finepix S3 Pro.
Any thoughts on the advantages of one over the other? Also, has anyone
heard what the expected price of the S3 Pro will be? I understand it will
be launched in October. Is it better to wait or just jump into the D70?

Some features on the D70, like 1/500 x-sync is nice if you need it
forget the S3, if not wait and see, we have great expectations so
lets see if Fuji delivers the improved image quality they claim, that would
be nice, though I had hoped for better kamera specs, hmm.. ;o)-max-

Old September 24th 04, 12:53 PM
Howard McCollister

[BnH] wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure how useful the live image mode actually is since it's for
display only, you can't trigger the shutter release in this mode.
Additionally, the viewfinder is blacked out because the mirror is up and the
shutter is open.

HMc