Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Old April 19th 18, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, comp.sys.mac.apps, comp.sys.mac.system
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On Apr 18, 2018, Alan Baker wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-04-18 6:21 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:36:51 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

So post all these files, and let's see if there's anything you've said
that ISN'T bull****.

The initial files had been posted for quite some time in the OP of
Can the latest Mac Adobe Illustrator read in Windows Adobe Illustrator CS2
"ai-format" files?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.apps/xiJFl-xbD1o

The latest batch was updated where this is the most recent post:
Here are the updated files from Adobe Illustrator in CS2 on Windows.

0. With the Roadgeek 2005 Series B font set already installed into the
system font directory on windows...
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/333rxp7d/file.html

OK. Got it, installed it, validated it.

1. Starting with signs.pptx from MS Office 2007 on Windows which has the
entire font set embedded but which only uses "Roadgeek 2005 Series B"
fonts.
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/EqdGVdCQ/file.html

2. I saved that as PDF using the official Microsoft Office Save-as-PDF
plugin, with embedded fonts saved into the PDF as signs.pdf.
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Zf65nNnd/file.html

3. I opened that PDF with Adobe Illustrator 12.0 from CS2 on Windows, which
popped up a form saying:
- Illustrator PDF: Warnings
- The document contains PDF objects that have been reinterpreted:
- The font Roadgeek#202005#20Series#20B is missing. (sic)
- Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font. (sic)
- I substituted the RoadGeek font

So you substitute one RoadGeek font for another, or did PowerPoint ****
up the embedding?

4. I then selected all with control a, and then pressed
AI: Type Font (I selected "Roadgeek 2005 Series B"
using the dumbest GUI there could possibly be for a font selection,
which is to endlessly scroll, manually, since typing "R" doesn't
work and AI is too stupid to have a scroll bar - but no big deal,
eventually it scrolled to the Roadgeek 2005 Series B font to then
save as "signs_with_font_substituted.ai".

OK. I did it with the find/change dialog that came up in AI CC 2018. Not
my problem if you use bad software. Also not a Mac problem.

But I did it, and I noted that some of the text in the file was already
converted to paths before it was imported. All this

"CURB ‘UR" (where you used the wrong character for the apostrophe).
"PUPPY"

...was already converted to paths.

So how did that happen? Magic?

Your story starts to fall apart.

https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Dm3XIJJm/file.html

And that file too shows the "magical" text which converted itself to
paths...

5. I then pressed control+a and then control+shift+o to create outlines
and saved that ai file as "signs_with_outlines.ai"
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/JGit6LU6/file.html

Where you stupidly added a stroke to the type you converted to totally
**** up the letter forms...

6 And then I chose EPS to save as "signs_with_outlines.eps"
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Vj43bvg2/file.html

7. And then I saved as SVG as "signs_with_outlines.svg".
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/KMSPgaup/file.html

When the #4 signs_with_outlines.ai is read into a current Mac Adobe AI at
the printers, the outlines are all screwed up.

Looks like operator error to me.

I believe that you have just brought this tedious thread to a screeching
halt.

Good work.

Savageduck

Old April 19th 18, 08:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
dorayme[_3_]

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

[snip massive not-just-non-bedtime-reading quote]

Looks like operator error to me.

I believe that you have just brought this tedious thread to a screeching
halt.

A slight - ok, very slight perhaps - contradiction!

--
dorayme
Old April 19th 18, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Neil[_9_]

On 4/18/2018 7:36 PM, Alan Baker wrote:

I've worked in Illustrator since version 1.

So post all these files, and let's see if there's anything you've said
that ISN'T bull****.

As another who has worked with Illustrator since version 1, I've told
him much the same thing for weeks in the Windows10 version of this
thread. His problem is a complete lack of knowledge of the graphic arts,
and I've suggested a number of times that he hire a professional, but he
has not replied to ANY of those posts.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 19th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

I've worked in Illustrator since version 1.

So post all these files, and let's see if there's anything you've said
that ISN'T bull****.

As another who has worked with Illustrator since version 1, I've told
him much the same thing for weeks in the Windows10 version of this
thread. His problem is a complete lack of knowledge of the graphic arts,
and I've suggested a number of times that he hire a professional, but he
has not replied to ANY of those posts.

his lack of knowledge is not limited to just graphic arts.
Old April 19th 18, 06:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Thu, 19 Apr 2018 11:17:56 -0400, schrieb nospam:

his lack of knowledge is not limited to just graphic arts.

What is fact about you nospam, is that you are consistent in that:
a. *You have provided absolutely zero technical knowledge in this thread*
b. And yet, *you incessantly post purposefully unhelpful drivel*

All you Apple Apologists act exactly alike, including you Jolly Roger,
Lewis, Tim Streater, nospam, Savageduck, BK@OnRamp and yes, even dorayme.

I know very little about this process, but you all clearly have shown zero
technical expertise in this thread, and in almost all threads.

That's a fact.

*Hence all you can do is troll incessantly your fifth-grade drivel.*

Moving on, I just found the original email (I had to dig into my downloaded
zipped archives as Gmail locked me out at 15.250 Gigabytes):
What's a good way to back up Gmail when you've reached the size limit?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/6YHdHFcpGxs/OKSojSbLAgAJ

For those who are technically competent, here is the email we sent out.
If you have technically competent improvements to suggest, it would be
helpful for the tribal knowledge of this group for you to add value.
http://tinyurl.com/rec-photo-digital
http://tinyurl.com/
http://tinyurl.com/

BEGIN TECHNICAL MESSAGE OF PROCESS, TOOLS, & PROCEDURES FOR 27 HOUSEHOLDS:
(we originally had one street of 20, but another street of 7 wanted in).

***** ***** ***** ***** *****
Letter to 20 neighbors ... 7 more on another street added later
***** ***** ***** ***** *****

Hi Neighbors,

This document has the entire font set embedded on Windows for:
Roadgeek Series B Regular

As agreed, it's in PowerPoint, which everyone has & knows how to use.

If you are on Windows, it will work perfectly right out of the box.
If you're on the Mac, call us as embedded fonts on the Mac don't work.

You are to modify the template as you please, bearing in mind:
a. Each sign will be a single color of your choosing
b. There's no need to draw graphics, but if you want to, have fun.
c. Most (if not all) will just change the sample text we provided.
d. Do not tamper with the outside border - it must remain consistent.
e. Do not tamper with the bottom line - it's a legal town/ordinance line.
f. Everything else is fair game ... top line is the road or address.
g. Say whatever you want in all the text other than top & bottom.
h. The drill holes are already accounted for in the text location.
i. The size of the signs (12"x18") is already accounted for.
j. The characters of the main message must be 2 inches for legal reasons.

When you're done, just email the one-page file & we will send all 27
signs to the printers that we've already chosen to print each sign.
http://store.hallsigns.com/Alodized-Aluminum_c_255.html

We chose aluminum sign blanks:
https://www.bestblanks.com/signsubstrates.html

We chose 40 mil thickness (aka 0.040 Gauge):
http://www.themedsupplyguide.com/tra...gns/thickness/

There are three sign materials we could have chosen from:
1. 3M Engineer Grade Reflective Signs.
2. 3M High Intensity Grade Reflective Signs.
3. 3M Diamond Grade Reflective Signs.
https://www.roadtrafficsigns.com/ref...-traffic-signs

We chose "engineer grade" reflection for cost/performance reasons.
http://www.trafficsign.us/signsheet.html

All signs will be mounted on 12-foot posts with one-way tamper-proof
security bolts (truss head, stainless steel, rubber washer, 1/2 inch long,
3/8" diameter, 16TPI).
http://www.losspreventionfasteners.c...ecurity-bolts/

Please do not get fancy with the font.
If you're on Windows, just use the embedded true-type Roadgeek fonts.
If you're on the Mac, call us as you will need to do more work.

Road sign fonts are tested under real-world conditions for specific things
such as halation, night-time and speed legibility (especially when tight
interstices are involved), cutout-integrity, removal of tiny notches in
joints of the letterforms, negative spacing compactness (affecting
legibility of signs in negative-contrast color orientations), common
symbols, etc., all resulting in an increase in accuracy, viewing distance,
and reaction time.

The long-standing official USA roadsign font is "FHWA Series Gothic".
But "FHWA Series Gothic" isn't commercially available.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Gothic

A recently used (but then deprecated) US road sign font was "Clearview":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearview_(typeface)

A common USA Gothic-look-alike freely distributable font is "Roadgeek":
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005

In the UK, the commonly used road sign font is named "Transport":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_(typeface)

Germany (& parts of Continental Europe) uses the "DIN 1451" font:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_1451

Macs ship native with that actual DIN1451 font, simply named "DIN":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...uded_with_OS_X

Windows 10 now ships with a DIN-look-alike font named "Bahnschrift":
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...uild-16273-pc/

Whether you're on a Mac or Windows, DO NOT USE those non-USA fonts!
Long ago we agreed on compatibility & consistency with USA standards.

Windows MS Office can embed the entire font set which works for Windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-powerpoint

Mac MS Office can not embed fonts & also can not read embedded fonts.
http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html

The Mac also has an issue seeing the DIN font:
Sierra https://support.apple.com/HT206872
Mavericks: https://support.apple.com/HT201375

Highway Gothic look-alike fonts are available at cost he
https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/pixymbols/highway-gothic/

Highway Gothic look-alike fonts seem to be available for free he
http://www.dafont.com/highway-gothic.font

The beautifullly named "Clearview" font, is only available at cost:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearview_(typeface)

The lousily named Roadgeek font is freely available in many places:
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005

The only caveat with Roadgeek is that when we distribute the font,
we need to keep the copyright notice intact (included below).

***********************
Roadgeek copyright
***********************
License for use of Roadgeek Fonts

These fonts are free for recreational, hobby, and educational
purposes. You may redistribute these fonts provided the copyright
information remains intact and this license accompanies them.

License is also granted for use of these fonts on commercial websites
or for redistribution from commercial websites, provided no fee is
charged for the use of or access to these fonts, that the copyright
information remains intact, and this license accompanies the fonts.

You are NOT permitted to seek payment for access to these fonts.

You are NOT permitted to use these fonts for commercial purposes other
than for the use in displaying graphics or text on the web. If you
need official fonts for offline, commercial purposes (including, but
not limited to, the actual creation of highway signage), please
contact professional vendors for official fonts.

The creator of these fonts assumes no liability for accidents or
losses caused by the use of these fonts. Although an attempt has made
to replicate official highway sign fonts in the creation of these
fonts, no claim is made about these fonts actually satisfying any
particular specification. Use these fonts at your own risk. Do not
spindle fold or mutilate. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Old April 19th 18, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Baker

On 2018-04-19 10:32 AM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Thu, 19 Apr 2018 11:17:56 -0400, schrieb nospam:

his lack of knowledge is not limited to just graphic arts.

What is fact about you nospam, is that you are consistent in that:
a. *You have provided absolutely zero technical knowledge in this thread*
b. And yet, *you incessantly post purposefully unhelpful drivel*

All you Apple Apologists act exactly alike, including you Jolly Roger,
Lewis, Tim Streater, nospam, Savageduck, BK@OnRamp and yes, even dorayme.

I know very little about this process, but you all clearly have shown zero
technical expertise in this thread, and in almost all threads.

You claim:

'I've used the AI program for over 30 years.'

....but you know very little about the very process for which it is most
used?

Yeah... ...there's some bull**** in there.

That's a fact.

The fact is that your story doesn't add up.

Why were there fonts that were already converted to paths in your first PDF?

Why does someone with "over 30 years" experience using Illustrator not
understand that you don't add a stroke to the paths of text that's been
converted because it ****s up the letter shapes.

You're full of ****, twit.
Old April 19th 18, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Baker

On 2018-04-18 6:30 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:39:26 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

BTW, while it's a fact that the Mac Adobe Illustrator screwed up,

That is not a fact.

This is the technical gist of what Neil said, just now, on the Windows
newsgroup...

It's good that they're being so nice to you, because they want your
business. However, what you ran into is no surprise to me.

Illustrator is a complex program that requires users to have a good
understanding of vector graphics programs.

I've used the AI program for over 30 years.

What Windows group is that supposed to be?

What date and time was that message supposedly posted?
Old April 19th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Thu, 19 Apr 2018 10:18:02 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

You claimed:

'I've used the AI program for over 30 years.'

If you didn't mean to imply expertise, why did you even say that?

Hi Alan,
I realize you don't comprehend much, so all I will say is that *nobody* on
this planet has ever heard me say or seen me type what you so brazenly just
fabricated out of thin air that you imagine that I said.

Even the Apple Appologists (nospam, Jolly Roger, Savageduck, BK@OnRamp,
Lewis, etc.) haven't fabricated that completely imaginary accusation yet.

Why do Apple Apologists incessantly come up with brazen fabrications?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/K_yBNZiPFYo/2yfSU1BOAwAJ
eek font I used is "Roadgeek 2005 Series B Regular".

As agreed, it's in PowerPoint, which everyone has & knows how to use.

Everyone does NOT have it, and many who have it know nothing about it.

Again you brazenly fabricate what you don't know.

I wonder if that tendency to imagine functionality is why you gravitate to
supremely marketed Apple products?

Your entire belief system appears to rest on a foundation of fabrications.

If you are on Windows, it will work perfectly right out of the box.
If you're on the Mac, call us as embedded fonts on the Mac don't work.

Incorrect. You can't do the embedding on the Mac version, but they'll
work just fine.

The statement is correct but I do appreciate that you are attempting to
help with technical facts, since technical facts are what this thread is
about.

You're just wrong in that the file will NOT work on the Mac. Period.
It will work on Windows perfectly well.

That's a fact.
Luckily, it turned out that of the original 20 neighbors, nobody was on the
Mac, where I don't know the status of the 7 who joined in from another road
once they saw the beautifully organized signs put up.

Something which you could easily have discovered...

The whole point was to use the standard USA fonts in all the signs.
We didn't know there were so few Mac users in the real world when we
started, but if we used a Mac or Windows font, we would have had problems.

Unfortunately, the printer is on the Mac, so, even if nobody uses the Mac
in the real world in our Silicon Valley neighborhood, the printers still do
(but as we've seen, the Mac-based printers aren't all that technically
competent).

Windows MS Office can embed the entire font set which works for Windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-powerpoint

Correct.

Yup.

Incorrect. That article literally says nothing at all about whether you
can embed fonts into documents using the Mac Microsoft Office apps.

It's a fact that the Mac just can't do it.

Luckily, nobody seems to be using the Mac in the real world of our Silicon
Valley upscale neighborhood, so, it doesn't matter that the Mac has far
less functionality than does Windows in this regard.

The Mac also has an issue seeing the DIN font:
Sierra https://support.apple.com/HT206872
Mavericks: https://support.apple.com/HT201375

Incorrect. No longer being included is not having "an issue".

Fair enough. Thanks. We can correct the *next* announcement, if another
road wants to join in on our community-based efforts.

Old April 19th 18, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Baker

On 2018-04-19 10:46 AM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Thu, 19 Apr 2018 10:18:02 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

You claimed:

'I've used the AI program for over 30 years.'

If you didn't mean to imply expertise, why did you even say that?

Hi Alan,
I realize you don't comprehend much, so all I will say is that *nobody* on
this planet has ever heard me say or seen me type what you so brazenly just
fabricated out of thin air that you imagine that I said.

I've seen you type it:

Even the Apple Appologists (nospam, Jolly Roger, Savageduck, BK@OnRamp,
Lewis, etc.) haven't fabricated that completely imaginary accusation yet.

Why do Apple Apologists incessantly come up with brazen fabrications?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/K_yBNZiPFYo/2yfSU1BOAwAJ

What is a random posting from an iPhone newsgroup supposed to prove here?

eek font I used is "Roadgeek 2005 Series B Regular".

As agreed, it's in PowerPoint, which everyone has & knows how to use.

Everyone does NOT have it, and many who have it know nothing about it.

Again you brazenly fabricate what you don't know.

I do know that there are lots of people who don't have Microsoft Office.

And of those who have it, most of them use Word and Excel.

I wonder if that tendency to imagine functionality is why you gravitate to
supremely marketed Apple products?

What functionality am I supposed to have "imagined"?

Your entire belief system appears to rest on a foundation of fabrications.

If you are on Windows, it will work perfectly right out of the box.
If you're on the Mac, call us as embedded fonts on the Mac don't work.

Incorrect. You can't do the embedding on the Mac version, but they'll
work just fine.

The statement is correct but I do appreciate that you are attempting to
help with technical facts, since technical facts are what this thread is
about.

Yet you have no compunction about stating as a fact that which is not
true...

You're just wrong in that the file will NOT work on the Mac. Period.

I've had it open on my Mac in PowerPoint...

....and it works perfectly.

It will work on Windows perfectly well.

That's a fact.

Would that be like the fact that "embedded fonts on the Mac don't work"?

Luckily, it turned out that of the original 20 neighbors, nobody was on the
Mac, where I don't know the status of the 7 who joined in from another road
once they saw the beautifully organized signs put up.

Something which you could easily have discovered...

The whole point was to use the standard USA fonts in all the signs.

Why? What would it matter which font was used on a sign?

We didn't know there were so few Mac users in the real world when we
started, but if we used a Mac or Windows font, we would have had problems.

No. You wouldn't have.

Unfortunately, the printer is on the Mac, so, even if nobody uses the Mac
in the real world in our Silicon Valley neighborhood, the printers still do
(but as we've seen, the Mac-based printers aren't all that technically
competent).

Riiiiiiiiight. The people who do this for a living and depend on their
technology working well aren't competent...

....but you are.

LOL!

Windows MS Office can embed the entire font set which works for Windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-in-powerpoint

Correct.

Yup.

Incorrect. That article literally says nothing at all about whether you
can embed fonts into documents using the Mac Microsoft Office apps.

It's a fact that the Mac just can't do it.

It's a fact that the article you posted to support your claim does
nothing of the kind.

Luckily, nobody seems to be using the Mac in the real world of our Silicon
Valley upscale neighborhood, so, it doesn't matter that the Mac has far
less functionality than does Windows in this regard.

Sorry, but that's just not so, twit.

The Mac also has an issue seeing the DIN font:
Sierra https://support.apple.com/HT206872
Mavericks: https://support.apple.com/HT201375

Incorrect. No longer being included is not having "an issue".

Fair enough. Thanks. We can correct the *next* announcement, if another
road wants to join in on our community-based efforts.

Try again.

You LIED.
Old April 19th 18, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
nospam

In article , Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

It's a fact that the Mac just can't do it.

nope.

it's a fact that *you* can't do it.