Need help please finding quality, economical processing of my photos online

Old January 6th 05, 11:16 PM
Alice Gless

Default Need help please finding quality, economical processing of my photos online

I don't know which way to turn. I took two batches of photos on CD's to
Walmart to process in their Fuji lab. They sent the first one back because
they said they couldn't read the .txt file with my specs I put on the CD
with my pictures. I burned a new CD and wrote out everything, took it back
out to Walmart, dropped it in the Fuji slot, and picked up by "bad" CD.

When I got home, I looked at what they wrote and they didn't say anything
about not being able to read a .txt file. They said I could not have my
photos on Fuji matte paper if I submitted them on CD. I would need to go to
their website, sign up (did that) and upload my photos. Then supposedly I
can have them on Fuji paper.

I did go to Walmart.com and signed up for the photo processing. Then they
tell me I need Active X to upload my photos. I don't know which Active X I
need or where it might be on my computer if I already have it. I have
Windows XP and a Dell computer I bought about two years ago (DIM 4400). I
looked and see something about Active X in my Adobe Acrobat Reader, but I
can't figure out how to activate it.

I also contacted a place called the printroom.com and they got back to me,
but I am just an amateur that isn't going to be doing large volume requests
with anyone at the moment. I don't know what kind of paper I can have
there, and I noticed that their mailing charges look like it is going to get
expensive and I don't want their album or any of their other services
because I just got my own .com.

I am still on dialup and that means it will take forever to upload my photos
anywhere. I cannot afford to go dsl on top of my regular internet service
and my monthly dot com payments now.

The local store who processed my pictures did a beautiful job (if I get them
sized right) for 8x10's, but they charge $5.95 with a quantity discount.
Even with the discount that is way too expensive compared to Walmart. They
process on agfa sensatis matte paper which gives wonderful results.

I was hoping someone who has been through this might have a recommendation.
Should I stick with Walmart because their prices are sooooooo reasonable or
would I do better with someone else?

Thanks for any advice. It is sorely needed.

Old January 6th 05, 11:18 PM
PeterL

"Alice Gless" wrote in message
ink.net...
I don't know which way to turn. I took two batches of photos on CD's to
Walmart to process in their Fuji lab. They sent the first one back

because
they said they couldn't read the .txt file with my specs I put on the CD
with my pictures. I burned a new CD and wrote out everything, took it

back
out to Walmart, dropped it in the Fuji slot, and picked up by "bad" CD.

Why are your photos on .txt files?

Old January 7th 05, 01:31 AM
Stacey

Alice Gless wrote:
..

The local store who processed my pictures did a beautiful job (if I get
them sized right) for 8x10's, but they charge $5.95 with a quantity
discount.
Even with the discount that is way too expensive compared to Walmart.
They process on agfa sensatis matte paper which gives wonderful results.

This is a case of you get what you pay for. I doubt anyplace that is good
is going to equal Walmart's price. I'm using hunt color lab in atlanta
(they are right around the corner), they do nice work and get $3.30 for an
8X10. www.huntcolorlab.com
--

Stacey
Old January 7th 05, 01:32 AM
Alice Gless

Why are your photos on .txt files?

They're not. I put the instructions on a .txt file and put it on the CD so
I wouldn't have to write it all out longhand and in case they lost any I
might write. There are 47 pictures this batch. The photos are in .jpg
format and they were able to read them. I would rather use a lossless
format, but I guess it doesn't matter all that much.

It worked fine with the camera store who processed the first couple of
batches for me. They could read my .txt file and the photos that went with
them.

Old January 7th 05, 01:38 AM
Alice Gless

"Stacey" wrote in message
Alice Gless wrote:
.

The local store who processed my pictures did a beautiful job (if I get
them sized right) for 8x10's, but they charge $5.95 with a quantity
discount.
Even with the discount that is way too expensive compared to Walmart.
They process on agfa sensatis matte paper which gives wonderful results.

This is a case of you get what you pay for. I doubt anyplace that is good
is going to equal Walmart's price. I'm using hunt color lab in atlanta
(they are right around the corner), they do nice work and get $3.30 for an
8X10. www.huntcolorlab.com
--

Stacey

Thanks. What choice of papers do you get? Never mind. I'll check your
link. That is still a lot higher than Walmart, but I'm beginning to think
if I want quality prints I'm going to have to pay. I was hoping to sell
some of local interest and there's no point if I can't get the costs way
down because it isn't worth it for all the work I've put into them. Plus I
would have to pay postage.

We have places around here who would probably process an 8x10 for that, but
I do not like Kodak matte paper compared to the Fuji and Agfa. I don't want
shiny paper either because I don't like it for framing, glass and all.

Old January 7th 05, 02:19 AM
BobS

Alice,

I don't have a good answer for you but perhaps a suggestion to try. Like
yourself, I had a few problems in dealing with some personnel at Fugi (in
Albany, NY) so I know your frustration. If you have a Sam's Club nearby,
you may want to spend the $35 to get a membership. Most of the locations
have just installed new Fugi photo processing equipment and also have the
self-service kiosks. Pricing is better than Walmart as I recall and at least
at our local Sam's Club, they even had the employee's trained that work in
that area. I've only used the service once and had no problems. You may
want to check out their site www.samsclub.com and see what they say about
your local club and if it has the new photo service up and running yet. Even
though Walmart and Sam's Club are owned by the Walton's, they have different
pricing for the same products.

Bob S.

Old January 7th 05, 02:39 AM
Alice Gless

"BobS" wrote in message
Alice,

I don't have a good answer for you but perhaps a suggestion to try. Like
yourself, I had a few problems in dealing with some personnel at Fugi (in
Albany, NY) so I know your frustration. If you have a Sam's Club nearby,
you may want to spend the $35 to get a membership.

That's an idea. I'll call them tomorrow. They aren't as far out as the new
Walmart store.

I just spent 1/2 hour trying to upload one photo and it isn't worth it. No
status report. Just keeps going and going. And my album is still empty.

This is too much!!! I'd better not mess with this any more today/tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion.