HELP: Scanning OLD (1930s) Photos

Old October 17th 04, 09:24 PM
FunkyMan

Default HELP: Scanning OLD (1930s) Photos

Hi all! I'm trying to scan some of my grandmother's old photos so as to
store them in high quality on CD. I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9 with my HP
2410 all-in-one scanner/printer to scan them.

The problem I'm finding might be with resolution:

A) 2400 dpi is simply too big and my computer won't load or print them in
any decent amount of time. I keep running out of virtual memory, etc.

B) 1200 dpi works for newer colour photos - I can make great copies, but
with the 1930s photos, I get this grain on it and can't seem to print well.

C) 600 dpi works better with the 1930s photos.

Shouldn't I be saving them in higher DPI? Why am I having problems with
1200 dpi? The photos are either 5x7 or 4x6.

I'm trying to save them in TIFF (for quality), although they are VERY big
files (100 megs). How bad is it to save in JPEG? Anyone have any ideas
as to format?

Thanks in advance!

FunkyMan

Old October 17th 04, 09:44 PM
Tripmonkey (UK)

Couldn't u scan the photo twice, half at a time then stitch the 2
photo's back together using software?
This would allow you to save them at a lot better quality but as there
would be 2 files it wouldn't take u as long to load or modify them. You
could always decrease the resolution as needed and convert to a smaller
format later on as needed.

As for the grain that u seem to get at higher resolutions, some scanners
come with a despeckle option that should automatically reduce that. If
not then u should be able to do it by software.

Trip

FunkyMan wrote:

Hi all! I'm trying to scan some of my grandmother's old photos so as to
store them in high quality on CD. I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9 with my HP
2410 all-in-one scanner/printer to scan them.

The problem I'm finding might be with resolution:

A) 2400 dpi is simply too big and my computer won't load or print them in
any decent amount of time. I keep running out of virtual memory, etc.

B) 1200 dpi works for newer colour photos - I can make great copies, but
with the 1930s photos, I get this grain on it and can't seem to print well.

C) 600 dpi works better with the 1930s photos.

Shouldn't I bd be avae saving them in higher DPI? Why am I having problems with

Old October 17th 04, 11:37 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

FunkyMan writes:

Hi all! I'm trying to scan some of my grandmother's old photos so as to
store them in high quality on CD. I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9 with my HP
2410 all-in-one scanner/printer to scan them.

The problem I'm finding might be with resolution:

A) 2400 dpi is simply too big and my computer won't load or print them in
any decent amount of time. I keep running out of virtual memory, etc.

B) 1200 dpi works for newer colour photos - I can make great copies, but
with the 1930s photos, I get this grain on it and can't seem to print well.

C) 600 dpi works better with the 1930s photos.

Shouldn't I be saving them in higher DPI? Why am I having problems with
1200 dpi? The photos are either 5x7 or 4x6.

There's probably no point in scanning at higher than 300DPI -- the
paper and printing processes used couldn't put more information than
that on the paper. There's also no point in scanning above the
optical capabilities of your scanner, and I doubt an all-in-one really
supports 2400DPI!

I'm trying to save them in TIFF (for quality), although they are VERY big
files (100 megs). How bad is it to save in JPEG? Anyone have any ideas
as to format?

They'll be more manageable at 300 dpi. At which point I'd tend to
stay with TIFF, although top-quality JPEG isn't completly crazy for
that appliation.

Old October 18th 04, 12:42 AM
Big Bill

On 17 Oct 2004 20:24:46 GMT, FunkyMan wrote:

Hi all! I'm trying to scan some of my grandmother's old photos so as to
store them in high quality on CD. I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9 with my HP
2410 all-in-one scanner/printer to scan them.

The problem I'm finding might be with resolution:

A) 2400 dpi is simply too big and my computer won't load or print them in
any decent amount of time. I keep running out of virtual memory, etc.

If you want to use large file sizes, this happens.
You could add some RAM to help.

B) 1200 dpi works for newer colour photos - I can make great copies, but
with the 1930s photos, I get this grain on it and can't seem to print well.

C) 600 dpi works better with the 1930s photos.

Shouldn't I be saving them in higher DPI? Why am I having problems with
1200 dpi? The photos are either 5x7 or 4x6.

You're having problems because your hardware isn't up to the task. Add
RAM, and a larger hard drive. A faster CPU will also speed things up
once the images are in the computer. If it's taking too long to do the
actual scan, you can get a newer scanner with USB 2.0 (as long as your
computer has USB 2.0, too). Or Firewire.
All it takes is money!

I'm trying to save them in TIFF (for quality), although they are VERY big
files (100 megs). How bad is it to save in JPEG? Anyone have any ideas
as to format?

You can do the saving in JPEG yourself, and see the differences; if
the JPEG files are acceptable for you, then there's no reason you
can't use it.

Thanks in advance!

FunkyMan

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Old October 18th 04, 01:04 AM
Drifter

On 17 Oct 2004 20:24:46 GMT, FunkyMan wrote:

Hi all! I'm trying to scan some of my grandmother's old photos so as to
store them in high quality on CD. I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9 with my HP
2410 all-in-one scanner/printer to scan them.

The problem I'm finding might be with resolution:

A) 2400 dpi is simply too big and my computer won't load or print them in
any decent amount of time. I keep running out of virtual memory, etc.

Good GOD! You really don't need to go above 300dpi unless you plan on
seriously enlarging that photo (like to a wall size photo).

That "grain" you see is most likely a result of viewing a 1200dpi
photo at 100% on your screen. The equal of viewing it though a 10
power loupe in the real world. If you print it back out on a 4x6
you'll probably be amazed at how nice it looks.

I'm trying to save them in TIFF (for quality), although they are VERY big
files (100 megs). How bad is it to save in JPEG? Anyone have any ideas
as to format?

I'm doing the same thing with family photos going back to roughly
1892. I was saving them in TIF, but lately have become rather fond of
the .PNG format.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."