Price of used 35mm equipment

Old December 26th 03, 04:59 AM
PhotoMan

"Don Coon" wrote in message
news:CCNGb.662579$Fm2.580699@attbi_s04...

"PhotoMan" wrote in message
.. .
Sigh........I remember how I lusted for my film scanner. Now all the

negs
and slides are scanned and I'm burnin' up pixels like there was no

tomorrow.
Except for restoration jobs, I don't remember the last time I even

powered
up the flatbed.
Joe Arnold

Lucky you : ) I scanned the "400 best" slides last winter as defined by my
wife. Then we visited her mother who lives 640 miles away. That resulted

in
about 200 more but only because I kept insisting on "only the 10% best".
Thought that was done when suddenly about 200 more show up from her

cousin.
Have touched those yet and maybe I'll just be stubborn : ) The last straw
was the discovery during a remodel project of maybe 200 more of our best
slide she had pulled decades ago to have prints made. Will it ever end??
Think I'll break the scanner or sell it on Ebay!

Well I hope my luck holds out Don. I met a gal last week, and we've found a
common ground in photography - me as a shooter, her as a viewer that knows
how to critique photos. She has boxes of slides that she'd like to see on a
computer, but I've suggested that SHE do the scanning. I've really had enuff
of it. I'll load the scanner on a spare computer and let her have at it.
Scanning served its purpose for me, but hopefully that's behind me now.
Speaking of which, my 200+ sq. ft. darkroom has turned into a storage area.
It's really disheartening to see all that fabulous equipment gathering dust.
It used to be the love of my life, but after doing a job digitally in an
hour that would have taken till 3 AM in the dark, I really saw the light
;-)! Digital is here to stay as far as I'm concerned. And now I have 100+
pounds of Canon FD gear to unload - it'll be like losing an old friend.
Joe

Old December 26th 03, 11:49 PM
Jim Waggener

We do come back once in a while, mostly for family matters, but we
usually go to Kyushu. We still keep a 3LDK condominium (fronted by a
bamboo forest and Zen temple...) in the Osaka area if anyone would like
to buy that... )

Steve Kramer
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com

give me a price USD

Old December 26th 03, 11:57 PM
Jim Waggener

"Bob Hickey" wrote in message
I think, for many, ebay is the world's cheapest rental store. Buy it, use

it
as long as you need it, get your money back. Buy it on Tues; sell it back

on
Sun, might even get postage back.
Bob Hickey

yup, I bought my black F2A for $350 in 1977. They are still selling around
that price on
Ebay now. Now there is a return on a dollar.

Old December 27th 03, 12:14 AM
Don Coon

"Jim Waggener" wrote in message

"Bob Hickey" wrote in message
I think, for many, ebay is the world's cheapest rental store. Buy it,

use
it
as long as you need it, get your money back. Buy it on Tues; sell it

back
on
Sun, might even get postage back.
Bob Hickey

yup, I bought my black F2A for $350 in 1977. They are still selling

around
that price on
Ebay now. Now there is a return on a dollar.

Unless you figure in the realtive value of the dollar. I'd guess you paid
an equivalent of $1000 or more in 2003 dollars. I could look it up, but you
get the point.

Old December 27th 03, 06:18 AM
Tom Pfeiffer

The calculator on the Bureau of Labor Statistics web site says $1068, so you
were darn close. So Jim has only "lost" $650 on his camera since he bought
it 26 years ago, but then look at all the enjoyment and use he's gotten for
only 11¢/day!

Tom P.

Old December 27th 03, 09:57 AM
Chris Brown

Peter Chant wrote:

That does not explain lenses, or does it? I suppose DSLR's are still
much dearer than their film counterparts so people are just getting out
of SLRs to go digital.

AFAICS, EOS lenses are holding their value very well, and selling fast on
the second hand market. If you know somewhere this isn't the case, do let me
know as I could get a nice late Christmas present for my 10D. ;-)
Old December 27th 03, 10:05 AM
Chris Brown

In article N4GGb.135394$8y1.415169@attbi_s52,
Don Coon wrote:

However, I will say that used Canon EOS lenses are *NOT* selling anywhere
near half price. The demand for EOS lenses is so high that "out-of-stock"
is common at many etail sites and prices on Ebay are high.

Indeed, and now they've introduced the 300D, it's going to be even harder to
pick up a nice second-hand bargin.

Having said that, I did get a pretty good deal on a Canon 20-35 USM and a
Canon 15mm fisheye, both used, both in mint condition, recently. It wasn't
anything like as low as half price, but it was a reasonable discount from
new. The fisheye makes a very nice companion for a 10D, although it does
exhibit a bit of chromatic abberation, easily fixable in Photoshop CS's raw
convertor.
Old December 27th 03, 10:35 AM
Paul Rubin

Chris Brown writes:
AFAICS, EOS lenses are holding their value very well, and selling fast on
the second hand market. If you know somewhere this isn't the case, do let me
know as I could get a nice late Christmas present for my 10D. ;-)

I have the impression Nikon lenses are getting creamed pretty badly,
especially manual focus ones of which I have quite a few, but I
haven't been able to bring myself to check.

Old December 27th 03, 04:30 PM
Don Coon

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
Chris Brown writes:
AFAICS, EOS lenses are holding their value very well, and selling fast

on
the second hand market. If you know somewhere this isn't the case, do

let me
know as I could get a nice late Christmas present for my 10D. ;-)

I have the impression Nikon lenses are getting creamed pretty badly,
especially manual focus ones of which I have quite a few, but I
haven't been able to bring myself to check.

That's my assessment. Notice how many Nikon lenses are being offered for
sale on the rec.photo.marketing usergroups compared to Canon lenses. Leads
me to believe a lot of Nikon users are bailing out and converting to Canon
DSLRs.