Lithium AA Flash Batteries

Old December 23rd 04, 09:13 PM

Default Lithium AA Flash Batteries

I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
flash to reduce recycle time.

Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?

Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?

Old December 23rd 04, 09:46 PM
Alan Browne

A wrote:

I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
flash to reduce recycle time.

Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?

Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?

They will last longer than a set of NiMH's, for sure, but then you throw them
out. They should recycle faster (higher voltage, less voltage drop with current)

NiMH's recycle pretty quick in any case and of course can be recharged.

NiMH's just go back into the bag for a recharging. Keep a set of Li as backup
(or Alkaline which don't recyle as fast).

Check the manual for the flash for battery type warnings. Some camera grips
(Canon, Minolta) say not to use them at all.

Hmm, this prompted me to look at my flash manuals. My older flash has no
mention of Lithium.

My newer flash, (Minolta 5600HS) has the admonition: "When using the (sic)
lithium batteries, if the batteries become hot due to high temperatures or
successive use, (BATT INDICATOR) may blink and the flash may not be able to use
(sic) for a while. Wait until the batteries become cold before using the flash
again." (This unit is more powerful than the 420EX so perhaps it is more
susceptible to this condition).

If you're really unsure ... call or write to Canon who may (should) be able to help.

AA Li should be available in any hardware, drugstore, convenience store, etc.
(unless they are not legal in the UK for some reason).

Cheers,
Alan

Old December 24th 04, 09:20 PM
Wolfgang Exler

"A" wrote:

I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
flash to reduce recycle time.

what kind of battaeries are you talking about? Rechargable batteries?

Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?

I use the Energizer AA Lithium batteries as a spare pack for my camera.
Reason for this is the low self decharching (hope you understand what I
mean) for these batteries and have it for "emergency".

Sometimes there is a confusion because there are different standard voltages
for different types of batteries. Both NiCd and NiMh have a discharge range
from 1.2 Volts (full) down to 1.0 Volt (empty) and thus a small operational
difference thru the whole usage time. Alkaline cells starts from 1.5 Volts
down to 0.9 Volts which is defined by most manufacturers as "end of life"
value for this kind of batteries. I apologize not to have those values for
Lithium batteries availale yet. But due the fact that NiMh/NiCd voltages are
within the range of alkaline batteries they can be used as an general
replacement. But in real life, some devices do not use alkaline batterie
until their predefined end of life, often the batterie indicator shows "low
batt" at a reasonabe higher voltage and therefore, alkaline batteries are
often not used completely.

In general, the recycle time of you flash depends on the inner resistance of
the used power source an the resulting possible current. In general, NiCd
rechargeable accumulator have the lowest resistance and therefor the
shortest flash recycle time. But meanwhile, development of NiMh accumulators
has outbid the NiCd technology and capacity is doubled compared to NiCd
while carrying a comparable low resistance. So it is recommended to use new
NiMh accumulators for flashes with high capacity (2000 - 2600 mAh) to gain
maximum performance in both recycle time and count of flashes

As a german resident I have no recomendation for a source in UK. I always
check for some price comparing sites and additionaly compare those prices
with eBay shops. And most time the eBay shops are the winners. So if you
need assistance for buying from german stores (which may be cheaper than UK
shops) feel free to ask.

Wolfgang

Old December 24th 04, 10:23 PM
Frank Pittel

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm A wrote:
: I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
: flash to reduce recycle time.

: Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?

I think you would be better off with NiMh batteries. To start they are a
lot cheaper.

: Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?

Here in the US Lithium batteries are commonly available in larger stores.

-------------------

Old December 24th 04, 10:27 PM
Frank Pittel

:
: Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
:
: Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?

: They will last longer than a set of NiMH's, for sure, but then you throw them
: out. They should recycle faster (higher voltage, less voltage drop with current)

: NiMH's recycle pretty quick in any case and of course can be recharged.

: NiMH's just go back into the bag for a recharging. Keep a set of Li as backup
: (or Alkaline which don't recyle as fast).

: Check the manual for the flash for battery type warnings. Some camera grips
: (Canon, Minolta) say not to use them at all.

I've got a lot of equipment that gets powered by AA batteries with
intructions warning against the use of NiMh batteries. I use the rechargable
any how. I've never had any trouble with them.

-------------------

Old December 24th 04, 11:14 PM
Mark B.

"A" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
flash to reduce recycle time.

Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?

Yeah, they're a hell of a lot more expensive. Four NiMH probably don't cost
more than 10% higher than four lithium, but the NiMH can be recharged while
the lithium get thrown out.

Mark

Old December 24th 04, 11:15 PM
Alan Browne

Frank Pittel wrote:

I've got a lot of equipment that gets powered by AA batteries with
intructions warning against the use of NiMh batteries. I use the rechargable
any how. I've never had any trouble with them.

The difference here is that AA Li batteries supply a higher than nominal voltage
and in use they will sustain that voltage with even high current. I have no
problem putting in batts that are lower than voltage rating, but higher than
rating AND a warning from the manufacturer not to use them is another matter.

My camera does work on Lithium, BTW, in the body (CR123), or in the grip CR123
or 2CR5 Lithiums can be used. The warning is specific to AA Li. I'm not going
to risk my camera body to find out what happens.