Travel Lens

Old October 22nd 04, 04:04 PM
S.

Default Travel Lens

Hi Folks,

I am traveling to Europe soon with my 20D. I don't want to lug a lot of
weight around all day so I am only taking one lens and not taking the BGE2
either. I was thinking of taking the 28-135 for the flexibility and IS
capability but damn it's heavy for an all day/ 10 day thing. What would you
all take under the circumstances? I do have an old EOS 28-80 but I don't
think it's too sharp.

Thoughts?

Steve

Old October 22nd 04, 04:40 PM
GT40

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:04:10 GMT, "S." wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am traveling to Europe soon with my 20D. I don't want to lug a lot of
weight around all day so I am only taking one lens and not taking the BGE2
either. I was thinking of taking the 28-135 for the flexibility and IS
capability but damn it's heavy for an all day/ 10 day thing. What would you
all take under the circumstances? I do have an old EOS 28-80 but I don't
think it's too sharp.

Take a look at the two 28-105mm lenses.
Old October 22nd 04, 06:04 PM
Joseph Meehan

S. wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am traveling to Europe soon with my 20D. I don't want to lug a lot of
weight around all day so I am only taking one lens and not taking the BGE2
either. I was thinking of taking the 28-135 for the flexibility and IS
capability but damn it's heavy for an all day/ 10 day thing. What would
you
all take under the circumstances? I do have an old EOS 28-80 but I don't
think it's too sharp.

Thoughts?

Steve

Personally I would want something wider. 28 on a 20D is not going to do
much for interior, architecture, or landscape. It also could be a little
long for many group photos. When traveling I use wide angle about 80%
normal about 15% and 5% telephoto.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 22nd 04, 06:52 PM
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:04:10 GMT, "S." wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am traveling to Europe soon with my 20D. I don't want to lug a lot of
weight around all day so I am only taking one lens and not taking the BGE2
either. I was thinking of taking the 28-135 for the flexibility and IS
capability but damn it's heavy for an all day/ 10 day thing. What would you
all take under the circumstances? I do have an old EOS 28-80 but I don't
think it's too sharp.

Take the IS. Your neck will get stronger in a week or so.

How will you feel if you miss, or mess up, a shot that you would have
gotten if you had it?

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."

Old October 22nd 04, 07:08 PM
Phil Stripling

"S." writes:

Hi Folks,

I am traveling to Europe soon with my 20D. I don't want to lug a lot of
weight around all day so I am only taking one lens and not taking the BGE2
either. I was thinking of taking the 28-135 for the flexibility and IS
capability but damn it's heavy for an all day/ 10 day thing. What would you

I'd suggest a 28-105. Is the 20D a 1.6 factor digital? That would mean the
28mm would not be a very wide wide angle, by the way. Many of my European
photos are of interiors. On a 35mm camera, I sometimes found 28 wasn't
quite as wide as I needed. I'd take another lens, something that's
equivalent to an 18 or 20mm lens on full frame. If you're going to be in
the mountains, a 1.4 teleconverter may be useful on occasion to reach out
and get some shots across the valleys.

("Traveling to Europe" is rather general, so my suggestions are, too.)

Old October 22nd 04, 07:39 PM
Dave Herzstein

"S." wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am traveling to Europe soon with my 20D. I don't want to lug a lot of
weight around all day so I am only taking one lens and not taking the BGE2
either. I was thinking of taking the 28-135 for the flexibility and IS
capability but damn it's heavy for an all day/ 10 day thing. What would you
all take under the circumstances? I do have an old EOS 28-80 but I don't
think it's too sharp.

Thoughts?

Steve

I spent 3 days hiking in Yosemite last summer with my 10D. 80% of the
images were taken with a 20-35 (often not wide enough), 10% with a
28-135 IS, 9% with a 100mm macro (probably little use in Europe) and 1%
with a 300/4 IS (ouch my back).

-Dave

Old October 22nd 04, 10:12 PM
S.

"Dave Herzstein" wrote in message
"S." wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am traveling to Europe soon with my 20D. I don't want to lug a lot of
weight around all day so I am only taking one lens and not taking the
BGE2
either. I was thinking of taking the 28-135 for the flexibility and IS
capability but damn it's heavy for an all day/ 10 day thing. What would
you
all take under the circumstances? I do have an old EOS 28-80 but I don't
think it's too sharp.

Thoughts?

Steve

I spent 3 days hiking in Yosemite last summer with my 10D. 80% of the
images were taken with a 20-35 (often not wide enough), 10% with a
28-135 IS, 9% with a 100mm macro (probably little use in Europe) and 1%
with a 300/4 IS (ouch my back).

-Dave

A lot of good ideas. The point is well taken about wide angles and
interiors (previous post). A lot of time is spent in Churches and Museums.

Steve