How this for timing? (Not bad flying either)

Old April 2nd 19, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default How this for timing? (Not bad flying either)

https://i2-prod.devonlive.com/incomi...ger-Yersin.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old April 3rd 19, 11:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 02/04/2019 23:39, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://i2-prod.devonlive.com/incomi...ger-Yersin.jpg

Hmm. Do I believe it?
Old April 3rd 19, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 3, 2019, newshound wrote
(in ):

On 02/04/2019 23:39, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://i2-prod.devonlive.com/incomi...RNATES/s810/0_
Roger-Yersin.jpg

Hmm. Do I believe it?

It is actually well within the creative capability of PS, Affinity Photo, or
even Pixelmator. That includes the mirror reflections in the water.

Creative PP is much more likely than the perfect in-camera miracle capture.

Savageduck

Old April 3rd 19, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Wed, 03 Apr 2019 06:33:51 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Apr 3, 2019, newshound wrote
(in ):

On 02/04/2019 23:39, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://i2-prod.devonlive.com/incomi...RNATES/s810/0_
Roger-Yersin.jpg

Hmm. Do I believe it?

It is actually well within the creative capability of PS, Affinity Photo, or
even Pixelmator. That includes the mirror reflections in the water.

Creative PP is much more likely than the perfect in-camera miracle capture.

Unfortunately, this is what it has come to. Considering the ease of
faking a photo like this, we become automatically suspicious of any
photograph that captures something that involves precise timing or
very good luck.

Looking at some of the other photographs by Yersin, he's an
accomplished photographer of scenes in his native Devon (UK) that are
mostly landscapes and architectural. He's done some good stuff. I
see no reason to doubt his authenticity.

With two grandsons active in sports, I do a lot of sports photography.
During the baseball season, my objective is to catch the ball in the
frame...just coming off the bat or just entering the glove. I've
succeeded quite a few times, but they are the result of anticipation,
burst shots, and dumb luck. Many more failures than successes.

My Photoshop skills are such that I could easily fake success, but I
don't. I've never been tempted. It's a self-challenge to succeed.
I would hope that Yersin feels the same.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 3rd 19, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

wrote:

On Apr 3, 2019, newshound wrote
(in ):

On 02/04/2019 23:39, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://i2-prod.devonlive.com/incomi...RNATES/s810/0_
Roger-Yersin.jpg
Hmm. Do I believe it?

It is actually well within the creative capability of PS, Affinity Photo, or
even Pixelmator. That includes the mirror reflections in the water.

Creative PP is much more likely than the perfect in-camera miracle capture.

Unfortunately, this is what it has come to. Considering the ease of
faking a photo like this, we become automatically suspicious of any
photograph that captures something that involves precise timing or
very good luck.

I do agree but my suspicions would be the lake of any typoe of wake or disturbance in the water or sand, and whether or not the RAF would allow such a maneuver that is high;y dangerous and someone just happens to be in that location very close to the maneuver in order to take the picture.
I wouldn't consider being that close to such an event I'd be worried about the whoosh factor or air pushing me back.
No one is ever allowed that close in normal air shows.

My thoughts too. At least it is portraying something *physically*
possible, unlike another fast jet under a bridge fake that showed a
manifestly ridiculous pitch rate.

Old April 3rd 19, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 3, 2019, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

I also took a look at the Yersin web site where both Roger (photography), and
Elaine (fine art) showcase their work. I see nothing that indicates that
Roger engages in any type of action photography. No aviation, no motorsport,
no athletics, no field sports, and no frozen action of any type. He has not
showcased the low level, under bridge shot on his web site.
With two grandsons active in sports, I do a lot of sports photography.
During the baseball season, my objective is to catch the ball in the
frame...just coming off the bat or just entering the glove. I've
succeeded quite a few times, but they are the result of anticipation,
burst shots, and dumb luck. Many more failures than successes.

....and that is the experience of those of us who shoot any form of action
sport, or subjects in motion.

My Photoshop skills are such that I could easily fake success, but I
don't. I've never been tempted. It's a self-challenge to succeed.
I would hope that Yersin feels the same.

I have a feeling that for Roger Yersin, the shot we are discussing was a PS
exercise which turned out pretty good, and was then shared to the
devonlive.com site as a gag to see just how far it would go. I also suspect
that since the plane in question is a Hawk T1A in the colors of the RAF
display team, the “Red Arrows”, that any pilot pulling that stunt would
find himself off the team, and facing disciplinary action.

I also noted that the shot was also posted on the plymouthherald.co.uk on
April 1st and has been confirmed as an April Fools Day prank. The pilot was
alleged to be one "Ebrill yn Gyntaf” which translates from Welch to
“April Fools”.

https://translate.google.com/#view=h...=en&text=Ebril
l%20yn%20Gyntaf

Savageduck

Old April 3rd 19, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 3, 2019, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

wrote:

[...]

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=en&text=Ebrill% 20yn%20Gyntaf

BTW: this was allegedly shot under the Paignton Pier, and given the reality
of that particular pier, no aircraft was going to fly under it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Paignton_Pier_stitch.jpg

....but if you are anywhere near Torbay, Devon on June1, or 2 you will be able
to see the Red Arrows at work.

https://torbayairshow.com

Savageduck

Old April 3rd 19, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 03/04/2019 18:51, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear the full explanation. Seems to be a competent photographer
with no intent to deceive. The only thing I find mildly depressing is
the lack of challenge with "shares", something which seems to me to be
far too common these days.
Old April 3rd 19, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:11:13 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 02/04/2019 23:39, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://i2-prod.devonlive.com/incomi...ger-Yersin.jpg

Hmm. Do I believe it?

I must admit I was frankly doubtful. That's the kind of flying that
would have the authorities down on the pilot like several tons of
bricks. My source for the photograph was
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...-devon-2706620
and then I noticed the date of publication.

But it could have been possible. See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4trtpb8y59...25605.jpg?dl=0 in which I
believe the plane was doing some 400 knots.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqlexyo2si...Honda.jpg?dl=0
was somewhat slower but undoubtedly required precision flying.

I think that what gives it away as a fake is the lack of heat haze or
optical distortion in the region of the jet blast in the tail. Also
some of the reflection is rather too good for damp (not wet) sand.

I would have made these comments sooner but communication with my news
server was out for about 24 hours.

Eric Stevens
Old April 3rd 19, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

(in articler6OdnbG7M8VLjjjBnZ2dnUU78d3NnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

[...]

Agreed! It seems to have been an honest April Fool gag.

When you say “lack of challenge with shares” I assume that you are
referring to the current nature of the photography NGs, particularly r.d.p.,
and the lack of image sharing. These days r.d.p. has become a battlefield for
trolls, stalkers, and flame warriors.

The SI (Shoot In) died due to lack of enthusiasm & participants, and the
number of shared images has dwindled ever since. We still have a handful who
try to talk photos, or camera equipment. However, argument without substance,
and personal, and OT attacks, along with unexplainable stupidity prevail.

All we need is for effective kill files, and a willingness to keep the group
On Topic by sharing the occasional image, seeking occasional constructive
criticism, meet the occasional challenge Image creation/PP issue), discussing
equipment, and avoiding thread entropy.

Anyway, here is a shot of a pier (Pismo Beach Pier) any aerobatics team would
have trouble flying under.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cmHpsfT/0/e1e5b3a7/O/i-cmHpsfT.jpg

Nice!

I was thinking of "sharing" in the much more general "fake news" sense.
I am regularly astonished by seeing in email and social media obvious
nonsense passed around by some of my otherwise reasonably intelligent
and well educated friends and acquaintances.