Todays Experience With 42nd Street Photo..NYC

Old August 25th 04, 11:30 PM
rHooD

Default Todays Experience With 42nd Street Photo..NYC

Called today to order a Sony F828. Online price $759.99. Asked the
salesperson if the camera is in stock...yes it is. Asked if it's got
an American warranty...yes it does. Asked if the online price is still
valid...yes again. So far, so good. Got all the come ons I expected
and politely declined the extra memory, batteries and whatever else he
was pushing that I didn't need. and was mysteriously disconnected in
mid sentence. Hit redial and, guess what, those three cameras that
were in stock....all gone! What a surpise! It'll have tyo go on
backorder he tells me. Told him to save the bull**** for someone who's
buying it...goodbye.
Old August 26th 04, 02:08 AM
Terry

order on line from B & H

--
Terry
Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

Old August 26th 04, 02:08 AM
Gary Eickmeier

rHooD wrote:

Called today to order a Sony F828. Online price $759.99. Asked the
salesperson if the camera is in stock...yes it is. Asked if it's got
an American warranty...yes it does. Asked if the online price is still
valid...yes again. So far, so good. Got all the come ons I expected
and politely declined the extra memory, batteries and whatever else he
was pushing that I didn't need. and was mysteriously disconnected in
mid sentence. Hit redial and, guess what, those three cameras that
were in stock....all gone! What a surpise! It'll have tyo go on
backorder he tells me. Told him to save the bull**** for someone who's
buying it...goodbye.

Absolutely fascinating. I guess the game is to catch the clueless. So
gradually they erode their own market (as would-be customers get
smarter). It's like telemarketers scamming the elderly.

My question is how do most of them get their check rating in the photo
magazines, which claim to be spot checking them anonymously. Is 42nd
Street check rated in Pop Photo, for example?

Gary Eickmeier

Old August 26th 04, 02:10 AM
BenOne©

rHooD wrote:

Called today to order a Sony F828. Online price $759.99. Asked the
salesperson if the camera is in stock...yes it is. Asked if it's got
an American warranty...yes it does. Asked if the online price is still
valid...yes again. So far, so good. Got all the come ons I expected
and politely declined the extra memory, batteries and whatever else he
was pushing that I didn't need. and was mysteriously disconnected in
mid sentence. Hit redial and, guess what, those three cameras that
were in stock....all gone! What a surpise! It'll have tyo go on
backorder he tells me. Told him to save the bull**** for someone who's
buying it...goodbye.

Is there some sort of government department over there that can see these
*******s fined for false advertisting?

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

Old August 26th 04, 03:28 AM
Jerry

I had a similar experience in NYC and I don't know if it was the same store
but if not it was close to 42nd street.
Anyway I went in to buy a Sony V220 Camcorder some years ago.
It was advertised for X amount of dollars and cents.
Asked if they still had it and they told me yes but only if I was going to
buy it right there and then with cash.
(Taliban looking fellas, looked like they just came out of the desert.)
Anyway I told them I had to go to the Bank to get that kind of cash and I'll
be right back.
They looked at each other and said I needed to put at least $1,000.00 down
and they would do the advertising price when I got back.
Well to make a long story short.
Just be glad you never gave them your Credit Card Number with the extra info
over the Phone.
Just be glad!

Good Luck,

Jerry