ISO 200000 ?

Old January 16th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default ISO 200000 ?

New Korean image sensors have 2000X light sensitivity.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1137003594.html
Too good to be true?
Gene

Old January 16th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 07:12:06 -0600, "Gene F. Rhodes"
wrote:

New Korean image sensors have 2000X light sensitivity.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1137003594.html
Too good to be true?
Gene

The credibility of Korean reasearch (especially this kinda
stuff) has taken a bit of a hit lately, have you noticed?

Not fair to extrapolate, of course.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old January 16th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In message , "Gene F. Rhodes" wrote:
New Korean image sensors have 2000X light sensitivity.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1137003594.html
Too good to be true?

I heard something about this some time ago, it
is supposed to be much more power efficient too.
I guess Hasselblad is not amused :-)

Old January 16th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Gene F. Rhodes" wrote in message
New Korean image sensors have 2000X light sensitivity.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1137003594.html
Too good to be true?
Gene

Might be true, if someone uses one for a new camera, how many ND Filters
would we need.

Roy G

Old January 16th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

New Korean image sensors have 2000X light sensitivity.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1137003594.html
Too good to be true?
Gene

From the press release, I gather that they ar eusing light
amplification (hardly new; it's been used for at least 40 years), but
have used nanotechnology to shrink it down to a size where it can be
used in a single sensel on a sensor chip. Neat!
But their claims for low light abilities are not that surprising; 1
lux photography is available now in many camcorders, and a few of the
more recent DSLRs.
The real application I see is the claim of smaller chips with the same
number of sensels made possible by the technology. Extrapolating, this
could mean APS-C sensor chips with, say, 20MP at the current ISO
numbers and low noise.
But that would require some seriously new, better lenses.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
Old January 16th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:05:14 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

The real application I see is the claim of smaller chips with the same
number of sensels made possible by the technology. Extrapolating, this
could mean APS-C sensor chips with, say, 20MP at the current ISO
numbers and low noise.
But that would require some seriously new, better lenses.

It would also require lots of money for those much better lenses.
But I wouldn't consider either a requirement, nor, I suspect, would
many people, perhaps you too. The same sensel technology could be
used to produce 10mp APS-C sized sensors with even higher ISO and
the same low noise. You wouldn't want to get a Canon Digital Owl
that could use all of the Rebel's lenses, with new, slightly higher
resolution sensors able to produce very low noise images at ISO
values near 100,000 (I'm not sure this is possible, but even higher
is claimed)? A nice side effect would be much greater battery life,
since the flash would be needed much less often. Based on past
messages here, there are many people that would find it would be a
great help where they've previously had problems taking pictures in
museums, cathedrals, night clubs and at sporting events.

Old January 16th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

New Korean image sensors have 2000X light sensitivity.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1137003594.html
Too good to be true?
Gene

The credibility of Korean reasearch (especially this kinda
stuff) has taken a bit of a hit lately, have you noticed?

Not fair to extrapolate, of course.

Well, there *are* single photon counters that can be
found in various laboratories. One could set up an
array of them...

In principle any sensitivity between that and huge numbers
of photons needed to register anything is possible.

What counts, it seems to me, is usability.

---- Paul J. Gans

Old January 16th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , Gene F. Rhodes
writes
New Korean image sensors have 2000X light sensitivity.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1137003594.html
Too good to be true?

Not really.

This looks like it could be a consumer version of the EMCCD technology
that E2V have had available for some time for high sensitivity video
cameras (10 uLux sensitivity). It was certainly more than a decade ago
that I first saw in the dark tunnel under Chelmsford, when we were all
part of the, now defunct, Marconi Group.

http://e2vtechnologies.com/datasheet...ures/l3c95.pdf
http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/telescopes...files/chapter4.
pdf
http://www.emccd.com/Electron_Multip...e_New_ICCD.pdf

They have *just* released a 1Mp version.

Texas Instruments have also produced a similar devices:
http://www.tij.co.jp/jsc/docs/disp/eng/impact/pdf/SOCS085(std).pdf
http://www.pco.de/download/?url=%2Fd...5SPD-30_DS.pdf

These are CCDs, but similar techniques have been published for CMOS
imaging sensors as well - I just don't have the references to hand at
the moment.

I understand that the TI devices are manufactured in South Korea. You
might think "industrial espionage" but, of course, I couldn't possibly
comment. ;-)

To date, the E2V and TI technologies have been too small and too
expensive for use in commercial photographic cameras, but that has only
been a matter of time and money...
--
Kennedy
Old January 16th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , Tesco News
writes

Might be true, if someone uses one for a new camera, how many ND Filters
would we need.

Well, if it based on the same approach as the E2V and TI chips, none at
all. The electron multiplier gain is adjustable, so it can work from
daylight down to overcast starlight in the same lens aperture.
--
Kennedy
Old January 16th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Kennedy McEwen writes:
This looks like it could be a consumer version of the EMCCD technology
that E2V have had available for some time for high sensitivity video
cameras (10 uLux sensitivity).

Is that something like image intensifier tubes used in night vision
gizmos? That stuff is considered very highly military sensitive, fwiw.