Tamron lenses

Old June 16th 05, 10:06 PM
Nicholas Wittebol

Default Tamron lenses

Hey guys,

I have a really quick question about Tamron lenses. I know that there
have been problems with Sigma lenses on older camera bodies (maybe only
Canon?) not working properly. Just wondering if Tamron is the same, or
if they work with newer and older camera bodies that use the same mount.

I am looking at buying a D70s, and wanted to know if Tamron lenses would
be good, or if I should by Nikon/Nikkor lenses to ensure that they will
work if I upgrade to body in a few years.

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas
Old June 16th 05, 10:17 PM
Alan Browne

Nicholas Wittebol wrote:

Hey guys,

I have a really quick question about Tamron lenses. I know that there
have been problems with Sigma lenses on older camera bodies (maybe only
Canon?) not working properly. Just wondering if Tamron is the same, or
if they work with newer and older camera bodies that use the same mount.

I am looking at buying a D70s, and wanted to know if Tamron lenses would
be good, or if I should by Nikon/Nikkor lenses to ensure that they will
work if I upgrade to body in a few years.

Not authoritative: I'd always heard / read that Tamron bought a licence
for the mount IP, and hence Tamron products should be as forward
compatible as Nikon's other lenses of the same period.

Sigma reverse engineer and so they don't see all aspects of the design
and can't implement future looking parts of the design at the time that
the IP is made available to Tamron.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 17th 05, 12:36 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Nicholas Wittebol writes:

Hey guys,

I have a really quick question about Tamron lenses. I know that there
have been problems with Sigma lenses on older camera bodies (maybe
only Canon?) not working properly. Just wondering if Tamron is the
same, or if they work with newer and older camera bodies that use the
same mount.

I am looking at buying a D70s, and wanted to know if Tamron lenses
would be good, or if I should by Nikon/Nikkor lenses to ensure that
they will work if I upgrade to body in a few years.

Basically, it's that there are problems with lenses on Canon bodies.
Nikon has preserved compatibility both ways from before the autofocus
era through their latest digital offerings -- not perfect
compatibility, but *useful* compatibility.

I've got various old Tamron and Vivitar and such lenses that work fine.
Old June 17th 05, 07:58 PM
Max from Holland

I`ve got a D70 with the new 18-200mm Di lens from tamron. A splendid
combination.

Max