Question on pricing for Nikon F4 body

Old January 26th 04, 04:16 PM
Chris Eller

Default Question on pricing for Nikon F4 body

Hello all. I'm in the market for a Nikon F4 (or F4s) body and one is
available locally. They're asking $650 for this F4s; looks and feels in
great shape, has had an overhaul recently, and has no blemishes to talk
about. It is, however a 21xxxxxx serial number, so is among the oldest
produced.

I've noticed the prices for F4s bodies in eBay going down a little in the
past few months. The store said the price is not firm and we can work
something out. Now, the prices on eBay have been bracketed between $400
and $635.

For a good shape, but low serial number F4s, do you think I should try to
get them down to around $450 - $550 in price? I want a good deal, but I
also want them to meet me on the deal. They know the bottom price they're
willing to take, I don't.

Much appreciated!!

Chris
Old January 27th 04, 03:19 PM
Ken Rosenbaum

"Chris Eller" wrote in message

[...]

Chris,
When I am negotiating with a dealer who expects a hefty profit for something
like this, I start with an offer, perhaps a lowball one, such as $450,
explaining that such cameras have sold for that amount. Then, if not
accepted, encourage a counter-offer. You'll have a better idea of what they
will accept. Even if you have to counter their offer, you'll get a good idea
of what they will finally take. Usually, they will be reasonable, figuring
that some profit is better than no profit. If they don't move significantly
from their first price, I go elsewhere. After all, they likely got it for
much, much less. I don't begrudge them a profit, but I see many dealers
buying used goods for half of what they try to sell it for.
Ken

Old January 28th 04, 08:57 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Ken Rosenbaum wrote:
much, much less. I don't begrudge them a profit, but I see many dealers
buying used goods for half of what they try to sell it for.

It depends. Some dealers buy cameras and stick for sale signs on them without
even looking at them. Others (usually repair shops) check out the cameras
before they put them up for sale. In any case they are willing to provide
a warranty, which IMHO may be worth half the price of the camera.

When I lived in the U.S. (up unitl 1996) I bought my cameras from a store
that paid half of what they sold cameras for. In exchange, they checked
out every used camera they bought and CLA'd many of them, provided a one
week (as long as it was not damaged) return policy ("I don't like it"
was good enough), and a six month warranty.

AFIK you don't get that kind of service from EBay.

I am not interested in buying cameras for a collection, I'm interested
in buying cameras to be used. So for me a warranty, especialy on a 15
year old camera (which just about describes the F4) or even older
cameras such as the FM/FM2/FE/FE2/FA (the FM2n could be older or newer)
is esssential.

What makes me laugh is the dealers that sell on Ebay with a minimum bid well
over the going price for a camera. I assume that in the heat of the moment
at a camera show, they tell a prospective buyer, "I sell these for $xxx
on Ebay". Not lying, but how many do they actually sell?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM: