Edges browning

Old November 27th 05, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Edges browning

I've got a framed, matted print (however no glass) in which the edges are
starting to turn brown. Print has been displayed for about 9 months. RC
paper...forgot the brand. Ilford I think.

My guess is that my fixer was bad and that the print is improperly fixed.
Anything else I should know?

Old November 27th 05, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Mike wrote:

I've got a framed, matted print (however no glass) in which the edges are
starting to turn brown. Print has been displayed for about 9 months. RC
paper...forgot the brand. Ilford I think.

My guess is that my fixer was bad and that the print is improperly fixed.
Anything else I should know?

That pretty much sums it up, improper fixing equals a host of issues.
Btw I assume this is a BW print,...you did not say.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old November 27th 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:54:04 -0600, Mike wrote:

I've got a framed, matted print (however no glass) in which the edges are
starting to turn brown. Print has been displayed for about 9 months. RC
paper...forgot the brand. Ilford I think.

My guess is that my fixer was bad and that the print is improperly fixed.
Anything else I should know?

Sounds like edge pentration to me. Was the image toned ? Also, are we
talking about a quality frame ? I once had someone mount one of my prints
in what turned out to be particle board painted with some textured paint.
As to a remedy, I'd trim the edges 1/4" past the staining, rinse in a luke
warm sulfite bath to open up the emulsion again and re-fix, re-tone and
rewash.

John S. Douglas, Photographer & Webmaster
http://www.puresilver.org - http://www.legacy-photo.com
Old November 27th 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:42:02 -0600, Gregory Blank
wrote:

That pretty much sums it up, improper fixing equals a host of issues.

But one would expect staining in the image itself as well, right ?

Old November 27th 05, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I've got a framed, matted print (however no glass) in
which the edges are
starting to turn brown. Print has been displayed for
about 9 months. RC
paper...forgot the brand. Ilford I think.

My guess is that my fixer was bad and that the print is
improperly fixed.
Anything else I should know?

Probably not the fixer, the symptoms are wrong. More
likely its damage from the mounting. How is it mounted?

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old November 27th 05, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in news:rYoif.2722$A23.679
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I've got a framed, matted print (however no glass) in
which the edges are
starting to turn brown. Print has been displayed for
about 9 months. RC
paper...forgot the brand. Ilford I think.

My guess is that my fixer was bad and that the print is
improperly fixed.
Anything else I should know?

Probably not the fixer, the symptoms are wrong. More
likely its damage from the mounting. How is it mounted?

And what is it mounted on? Sounds like chemical contamination migrating in
from the mount.
Old November 27th 05, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Probably not the fixer, the symptoms are wrong. More
likely its damage from the mounting. How is it mounted?

It could be! I usually don't dry-mount RC paper, but this print is indeed
dry-mounted onto foam-core. I keep my press set to about 190 degrees.

The browning is all along the edges where it touches the mat. No, I'm not
using expensive museum mat boards...just the cheap brand.

Old November 27th 05, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:29:46 -0600, Mike wrote:

The browning is all along the edges where it touches the mat. No, I'm
not
using expensive museum mat boards...just the cheap brand.

Given that the image was not enclosed with the mat board, I'd have to
wonder about a combination of poor processing and poor materials in the
mat combining to effect the image.

Old November 28th 05, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Mike wrote:

Probably not the fixer, the symptoms are wrong. More
likely its damage from the mounting. How is it mounted?

It could be! I usually don't dry-mount RC paper, but this print is indeed
dry-mounted onto foam-core. I keep my press set to about 190 degrees.

The browning is all along the edges where it touches the mat. No, I'm not
using expensive museum mat boards...just the cheap brand.

You state its an RC print, can you clarify whether its a silver base
paper? Some RC prints like those made on color paper like from a
one hour place use RC -paper that is dye based, if that is so I would say
it could be a result of Bleach fixer left on-in the paper,...these type
prints have been know to have yellowing in the white border areas.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old November 28th 05, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Probably not the fixer, the symptoms are wrong. More
likely its damage from the mounting. How is it mounted?

It could be! I usually don't dry-mount RC paper, but this print is indeed
dry-mounted onto foam-core. I keep my press set to about 190 degrees.

The browning is all along the edges where it touches the mat. No, I'm not
using expensive museum mat boards...just the cheap brand.

You state its an RC print, can you clarify whether its a silver base
paper? Some RC prints like those made on color paper like from a
one hour place use RC -paper that is dye based, if that is so I would say
it could be a result of Bleach fixer left on-in the paper,...these type
prints have been know to have yellowing in the white border areas.

Its B&W. Ilford RC paper. I got it for free at my local camera
shop...it might have sat on their shelf a LONG time for all I know. Does
Ilford even make RA-4 paper anymore?

I'm 99% sure that the brown edges did not exist after I made the print.