Prohibited Importation of Pentax Lens Circa 1975

Old March 9th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jeremy

Default Prohibited Importation of Pentax Lens Circa 1975

There was some discussion, in one of the Gray Market threads, about how
Honeywell Photographic had pressed US Customs to enforce their trademarks in
the 60s and 70s, when they were the sole US/Mexican importer for Pentax
cameras and Takumar lenses. I had noted that US servicemen that purchased
these cameras and lenses in the Far East had to obliterate the brand name to
get them past Customs, when they returned home.

Anyone wishing to see an example of a Takumar lens that had certain letters
drilled out and replaced with black paint should have a look at the photos
and description on eBay auction #180091628471. These items occasionally
still come up for auction, and often the sellers do not even know the reason
why the trade name was altered.

As far as I know, Pentax cameras were no longer screened by US Customs once
Honeywell Photographic withdrew from the photo distribution business in
1975. Asahi Optical then set up their own US distributor/importer, and I
never heard of any more incidents of having to deface the trademark on
cameras or lenses.

I believe that Mamiya continues to press for enforcement of their trademark
rights, although I don't know whether Customs defaces their trademarks on
gear that is unofficially imported, or just seizes the goods. Mamiya gear,
according to what I've read, sells for about twice the price in the US as it
does in the Far East.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/8f/3c/bd6b_1.JPG