Freelance Journalist Arrested After Photographing Voting Lines

Old November 1st 04, 04:17 PM
Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³

Default Freelance Journalist Arrested After Photographing Voting Lines

He was warned.

http://www.local6.com/news/3878057/detail.html

Old November 1st 04, 11:22 PM
Gene Palmiter

Naturally it happened in Florida! I will be photographing the polls tomorrow
in Easton Pennsylvania....I hope I get arrested...I need the money!
Unfortunately my paper is owned by a City Councilwoman and all the
politicians for the past 10 years know me...as do most of the cops. Maybe I
need to work a poll in another town.

Being warned that you are being denied your rights will not protect the
government from damages.

Old November 2nd 04, 02:01 AM
Larry CdeBaca

Uh, no. Heavy-handed. Typical post-911-destroys-Constitution.
Were signs posted? Did the gov't do their bare minimum -- post in newspaper?
"He tripped over his own feet"??? Laughable lie.
How do these draconian laws get passed?
I'm not arguing that voters have no privacy rights, mind you. The guy needs
a telephoto lens.

Old November 2nd 04, 02:38 AM
David H. Lipman

Dean:

Thanx for sharing !

Dave

Old November 2nd 04, 02:38 AM
David H. Lipman

Dean:

Thanx for sharing !

Dave

Old November 2nd 04, 03:07 PM
Owamanga

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:09:08 -0800, "Mike Kohary"
wrote:

Larry CdeBaca wrote:
Uh, no. Heavy-handed. Typical post-911-destroys-Constitution.
Were signs posted? Did the gov't do their bare minimum -- post in
newspaper? "He tripped over his own feet"??? Laughable lie.
How do these draconian laws get passed?
I'm not arguing that voters have no privacy rights, mind you. The guy
needs a telephoto lens.

"Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³" wrote in
message ...
He was warned.

http://www.local6.com/news/3878057/detail.html

We really have no idea what went down, so no reason to make presumptions.
Was it draconian? Or was this guy in peoples' faces? We don't know, so
best not to speculate and fan the flames of paranoia.

I wonder. About an hour away from WPB is Miami Beach, a hotspot for
models who like to pose on the beach. Would he have been arrested for
doing the same thing there ? - ie, overtly photographing the public
in public.

What privacy rights is he violating - there isn't a different line for
Kerry voters vs Bush voters, so the fact a man is in a line means
nothing. It doesn't even mean for sure that he's going to vote - after
all, he may be a West Palm Beach Democrat and just go in to scribble
on the machine or hunt chads.

--
Owamanga!
Old November 2nd 04, 06:21 PM
RustY ©

"Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³" wrote in message
He was warned.

You mean folks actually queue to vote in those turkeys ?