Morro Bay -Drone Revisit

Old July 6th 20, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

Default Morro Bay -Drone Revisit

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 08:32:27 -0400, Ken Hart
wrote:

On 7/5/20 5:08 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 13:01:52 -0400, Ken Hart

big snip

From a photographer's viewpoint, Indiana offers a lot of opportunity
if you like old barns, abandoned old cars and farm equipment rusting
in fields, and interesting rural scenes.

I've photographed all the interesting rural scenes.

I know the feeling. I often run out of ideas of where to go to
photograph something new. But, photography is all about finding the
shot where there doesn't seem to be a shot.

Dunno where you are in Indiana...but no cable internet? Boonville or
further west?

In the middle of Jasper, Petersburg, and Washington.

I attended a wedding in Jasper in 2010. A friend from high school and
college owned a railroad car that he kept in the railroad museum near
French Lick. We boarded the train in French Lick, rode down to Jasper
on the French Lick Scenic Railway route, and the ceremony was
performed while the couple stood on the vestibule of the car. It was
the first marriage for the 72 year-old groom. (A retired divorce
attorney)

The railroad car was built in 1913 for the President of the Seaboard
railroad, and has three bedrooms, lounge, dining room, kitchen, and
crew quarters.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-.../i-C8qPQvF.jpg

My friend paid to have his car hooked up to Amtrak on several
occasions. In 1987, the car went from French Lick to New Orleans
where I.U. was in the final round of the NCAA tournament. (I.U. vs
Syracuse...Keith Smart with the winning basket) I was in NYC on
business at the time, and had brought my wife on the trip. We went
down to Washington DC from NYC, met the train, and rode in the private
car to Orlando.

To go from French Lick to New Orleans on Amtrak lines requires a
rather circuitous route.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 7th 20, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Morro Bay -Drone Revisit - / (1/1) [2K]

On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 20:56:32 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 12:28:49 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 16:14:00 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jul 5, 2020, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 13:25:05 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Weird things about Indiana:
1. What the hell is a "Hoosier"?

I have wondered that myself. Nothing to do with hoses. Perhaps Tony Cooper might be able to educate us, he is IIRC an Indiana native now exiled to FL.

You have no idea how many people ask me that. I gave up trying to
offer explanations years ago. I goes back at least to the early
1800s. If I offer one explanation, someone will come along and say
"No, that's not it. It comes from ....".

Even Wikipedia has a bunch oddball etymology which it seems has not been pinned down.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier

Then there's joker who says it comes from "Who's your father?"
suggesting that your mother wasn't sure who it was. That gets old.

I'm left-handed, too. I also gave up explaining why we are called
"southpaws". Too many different suggested origins of the term.

Much easier to explain why British policemen are called "Bobbies" or
"Peelers". Nice, clear reason available.

Robert Peel would be glad that you knew that factoid.

Did you know his father came from Scotland? Kenneth John Peel?

I'll bet I'm the only Yank here that understands that reference.

D'ye think I'm right?

Did you know his great-grandson was John Ravenscroft?

Now you have lost me :-)

Eric Stevens
Old July 7th 20, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

That's the real name of John Peel, the BBC Radio 1 personality. Quite
well known in the UK from the late 1960s until he died in 2004. Though
he was English, he got his start in radio in the US.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 7th 20, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

wrote:

Did you know his father came from Scotland? Kenneth John Peel?

I'll bet I'm the only Yank here that understands that reference.

D'ye think I'm right?

Nope! This one happens to have an English side to his family which included one scot uncle, and three scot cousins (two still alive).

D'ye ken that?

I remember “D’ye ken John Peel” being sung/played as a child. Naturally that “John Peel” had little do do with Robert Peel.

So, at least two of us ken that! We sang “D’ye ken John Peel” at camp in
Wisconsin shortly after the glaciers retreated.

“D’ye ken John Peel.
At the break of day...."

Old July 7th 20, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 7/3/20 PDT 1:09 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , John McWilliams
wrote:

since you can't see the obvious: he is the *only* person who can't see
the video, which means the problem is at his end and entirely of his
own doing. put simply: user error.

And you didn't define "network".

the meaning is well understood.

In other words, you don't know how to define it.

wrong.

I do see the "obvious". My definition of network includes the modem,
router, cabling and/or WiFi and the client used to show the video, photo
or text. Something was likely out of order, be it hardware or software.

obviously *something* is out of order, but it was clearly *not* network
related since his network was functioning properly, allowing him to
both read *and* respond to that post as well as others.

Please re-read my response, this time for comprehension, not argument.

he also mentioned it crashed when he tried to view it. that is *not* a
network issue.

And could have been the feed! Stuff happens even with broad broadband.

it wasn't the feed, since others did *not* have any problem in viewing
it.

Please re-read my response, this time for comprehension, not argument.
Old July 8th 20, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

That explains it. I had minimal exposure to the BBC in that time
period.

Eric Stevens
Old July 9th 20, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan
B wrote:

In , David_B
wrote:
To what harm can a Mac come, just by clicking on a link?

that depends if it's one of your links or someone else's.

So BD has hijacked a thread, and added a cross post where it does not
belong to go OT again!

It seems he just cannot control himself.

Yep and hes just hijacked another one of my threads on ucsm and cross
posted it. Why cant he just create in new topic and only in the other
group?

because his intent is to disrupt and troll.

he hijacked yet another thread in the win10 group earlier today.
Old July 9th 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B[_4_]

On 09/07/2020 16:37, nospam wrote:
In article , Alan
B wrote:

In , David_B
wrote:
To what harm can a Mac come, just by clicking on a link?

that depends if it's one of your links or someone else's.

So BD has hijacked a thread, and added a cross post where it does not
belong to go OT again!

It seems he just cannot control himself.

Yep and he¹s just hijacked another one of my threads on ucsm and cross
posted it. Why can¹t he just create in new topic and only in the other
group?

because his intent is to disrupt and troll.

No, it's not.

he hijacked yet another thread in the win10 group earlier today.

Cite the MID

Old July 11th 20, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-07-04 12:45, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 4, 2020, Brutus wrote
(in ):

"Savageduck" wrote in message
news.com...
On Jul 3, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

On 2020-07-01 22:04, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 1, 2020, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

I drove down to Morro Bay today, it was a lot less overcast that for my last trip, so here
here are some of the results of today’s flight around the bay.

First two 180º panoramas, which will be followed later, once it is rendered, by some video
shot at 4K 60fps with a Freewell ND16+CPL filter @ ISO100 & 1/120 SS.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-PnG64Fx/0/c5554fc7/5K/DJI_0006b-5K.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-5bJ8RsZ/0/0291682b/5K/DJI_0008-5K.jpg

Video to follow:

...and here is the promised Morro Bay video. As I said above, it was shot at 4K 60fps, ISO100,
SS 1/120, with an ND16+CPL filter. Rendered using iMovie.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-XVQXqpV/0/0ad11a2c/1920/MB-701-4K60-1920.mp4

Nice. Tip: edit these down to about 4-6 minutes (tops).

Now that makes sense!

Those files get to be quite fat for upload purposes, and then there is the viewer boredom factor
to consider. ;-)

Savageduck

Another question: what speed is the drone flying at?

For that flight in “Normal Mode” the speed was 23-27 mph (37-43 kph). With a few stops to hover and capture a panorama.

also what is it's max speed in dead air?

From the specs: in “Sport Mode” the max speed is 19m/sec or 42.5 mph, in “Normal Mode” 12m/sec or 26.8 mph, and in “Tripod Mode” 5m/sec, or 11.1 mph.

And does the speed influence the image quality...

It can. However, there are other camera settings which play a bigger part. Consider settings of frame rate, and shutter speed. Then there is the engineering, and software that controls the drone itself to deliver the incredible stability to the camera gimbal.

A huge contributor to image quality is the wide angle view and distance
to the subject. This masks a lot of vibration and vehicle dynamics that
would otherwise appear in the video.