My last post

Old October 22nd 04, 01:57 PM
John

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:34:30 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Well, if that's their intention, they're not even close. Check other
newsgroups if you want to see some *real* action: this ain't nothing.

This isn't a competition David. In general I agree with Peter.

My point was that things aren't half as bad here as some folks make out

You're wrong. The level of disrespect in this group has
reached an all time high as exhibited by your continued use of
profanity and the number of posts referring to people as "stupid" and
"asshole" among other less-than-creative terms.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

Old October 22nd 04, 01:58 PM
John

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:20:55 GMT, Gregory W Blank
wrote:

In other words it attracts (In general better people).
--

Well, it used to anyway.

Old October 22nd 04, 03:00 PM
Lloyd Erlick-Usenet

wrote:

In other words it attracts (In general better people).
--

Well, it used to anyway.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

oct2204 from Lloyd Erlick,

It continues to, John. We're in a public place. Anyone
can enter, and quite a few have lately. Many new names
posting and many interesting conversations taking
place. Of course the usual proportion of public
nincompoops drift by, too, but the proportions are
overwhelmingly on our side.

Potential new posters could be put off by the few
postings and few threads that are troll related. But I
think most of those potentials would be Usenet savvy,
so they'd have seen it all before. The inexperienced
ones would be a loss, though. Fresh minds that were
alienated by trolls and troll-relateds. That's what I
see as the reason to minimize troll-related (eg.,
troll-repeating) business.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com

Old October 22nd 04, 03:18 PM
Lloyd Erlick-Usenet

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:57:21 -0500, John

My point was that things aren't half as bad here as some folks make out

You're wrong. The level of disrespect in this group has
reached an all time high as exhibited by your continued use of
profanity and the number of posts referring to people as "stupid" and
"asshole" among other less-than-creative terms.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org

oct2204 from Lloyd Erlick,

It is incontrovertible that the level of disrespect in
this group has reached an all time high.

The whole reason this discussion is taking place is
that many posters sense a change for the worse from
time past. I am not as long term as many, but I can
clearly detect a lowering of the civility factor. It is
clear and obvious to me. There was a time when "as
exhibited by your continued use of profanity and the
number of posts referring to people as "stupid" and
"asshole" among other less-than-creative terms," would
never have been acceptable as a true statement. At the
present time it is true. That change took place over
time, and many people regret the loss. I am one of
them.

I too am unimpressed by claims that other newsgroups
fare much worse than this one. My comparison is with my
own experience, within this newsgroup. I preferred the
atmosphere we had in the past, and I also liked the way
it was capable of attracting what I can only call
distinguished guests, such as Douglas Nishimura and
Michael Gudzinowicz, among others.

At the same time as I decry, I have to admit that
killfiles and averting my attention have improved
matters for me. The troll factor, even combined with
the troll-related factor (troll-repeaters, etc.) is
still a tiny minority. Killfiles deal with such a small
problem fairly well. I regret to have to use them at
all, but I have resorted to killfiles and I like it
better this way. I'd rather have the good old days, but
who ever received even a single one of those??

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old October 22nd 04, 05:20 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 10/22/2004 5:57 AM John spake thus:

wrote:

Well, if that's their intention, they're not even close. Check other
newsgroups if you want to see some *real* action: this ain't nothing.

This isn't a competition David. In general I agree with Peter.

My point was that things aren't half as bad here as some folks make out

You're wrong. The level of disrespect in this group has
reached an all time high as exhibited by your continued use of
profanity and the number of posts referring to people as "stupid" and
"asshole" among other less-than-creative terms.

Well, I don't want to argue about it; it's a pretty subjective thing.

However, I think we can all agree on at least one objective measure of how bad
things are or aren't he if Richard Knoppow ever stops posting, then I'll
agree that things have gotten very bad indeed.

--
Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a
really easy way: stop participating in it.

- Noam Chomsky

Old October 22nd 04, 08:20 PM
Tom Phillips

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 10/21/2004 8:42 PM John spake thus:

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:02:22 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 10/21/2004 5:36 AM John spake thus:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:40:15 GMT, Gregory W Blank
wrote:

Peter I agree, but just leaving gives in to them, and is exactly is what
these people want, If you don't ignore them they will always win.

Unfortunately they seem to be determined to have the longest
****ing contest in the history of the USENET.

Well, if that's their intention, they're not even close. Check other
newsgroups if you want to see some *real* action: this ain't nothing.

This isn't a competition David. In general I agree with Peter.

My point was that things aren't half as bad here as some folks make out. If
they want to see a really ****ed-up situation, there are other newsgroups with
much more vituperation, backbiting, etc., etc.

I think there's a bit of Chicken Little stuff going on here.

Interesting point of view from someone who sometimes
behaves like a troll himself...