Challenge for large format prints

Old January 11th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Challenge for large format prints

Dear readers :
I am an amateur photographer and only take pictures maybe few times a year.
Photography & high resolution video are my hobbies . But myself already in large format photography since 1999 with Toyo 45a 4x5" and Calumet 8x10 cameras and Schneider super angulon & Symar lenses.

For past years, I paid good money to drum scan my 4x5 & 8x10 films and print them out on a HP Designjet 500 large format printer , size from 20x24" up to 36x48" with pretty good resuls. Still I have looking for an alternative way to go digital, in order to save some time and money.

I always believe digital photography can never take over convention film
photograghy, because of the lens, films & chemicals, lab photo papers etc.

I heard many of the pros who claim the Canon, Nikon, Kodak etc high end
digital cameras to be able to print out very large size posters with good results. So
I am very interest to invite you who willing to take this challege and see the
results are.

The following cameras or digital back I really want to see are :

cameras with those digital scan back 14mega pixels or higher
Canon , nikon, Kodak , Fuji or others with 12mega pixels or higher

I will print out 24x36" large format print on glossy photo paper or high glossy
canvas for only $15 which conver the return USPS Priority Mail, material and inks.
You can send me the cd with your edited image . I won't change any setting and print it out directly.
( This is not a scam and 24x36" in photolab will cost over $ 60 and $15 is a peanut )

Please reply via e mail directly to for acceptance. I am willing to try only one type of each camera or digital back .

Thanks for your valuable time to read my post. Please forgive me, if my post is not very suitable or pure dumb.

Jason

--
jasonmiamifl

View this thread:
http://www.photographytalk.net/viewtopic-168607.html

Send from http://www.photographytalk.net

Old January 11th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jason,
Why don't you rent a Betterlight scan, they are capable of amazing
results. Unfortunately at a cost of $12K-15K. Which is better than $30K
and up for the new Phase One and Imacon 39mp backs, and I really don't
know if they can be adapted to 4x5 let alone 8x10.
The work I have seen out of a Betterlight beats film, at the cost of
scans that can last minutes. I am a large format photographer too, but
my big cameras have languished since moving and selling my darkroom.
Do you have your own drum scanner, I never found a satisfactory drum
scan service, they either charged $125 per scan or would only scan to
their specs, generally 300 dpi, much too small file size for 4x5.
Good luck on your quest, but you probably should rent your the stuff
you want to test. Pros don't give away images, and many amateurs aren't
very critical with theirs.

Good luck
Tom