A quick lesson on the inappropriateness of using Hotlinks to steal pictures.

Old January 17th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

Default A quick lesson on the inappropriateness of using Hotlinks to steal pictures.

Turn the volume down first!

http://www.xanga.com/InHisSteps13099...w.html#comment

I was going to complain to Xanga but their copyright infringement
procedure was tedious and she was stupid enough to hotlink.

Grumpy Vengeful Jim

Old January 17th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

JimKramer wrote:
Turn the volume down first!

http://www.xanga.com/InHisSteps13099...w.html#comment

I was going to complain to Xanga but their copyright infringement
procedure was tedious and she was stupid enough to hotlink.

Grumpy Vengeful Jim

See, Less then 3 hours to get results.

For those left wondering...

original stolen image
http://www.lookbefore.wading-in.net/.../IcedTree1.JPG

replaced image
http://www.lookbefore.wading-in.net/...s/IcedTree.JPG

Old January 17th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Chant

JimKramer wrote:

replaced image
http://www.lookbefore.wading-in.net/...s/IcedTree.JPG

Shh! No one tell Jim but I've hotlinked to that one...

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old January 17th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
michelo

"JimKramer" wrote in message
ps.com...
Turn the volume down first!

http://www.xanga.com/InHisSteps13099...w.html#comment

I was going to complain to Xanga but their copyright infringement
procedure was tedious and she was stupid enough to hotlink.

Grumpy Vengeful Jim

She is probably not the only one using your pictures because they are
returned by Google Images search. Google doesn't warn about copyright. Half
of the people don't know what a copyright is, and the other half don't care
about it anyway.

Michel

Old January 17th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

michelo wrote:
"JimKramer" wrote in message
ps.com...
Turn the volume down first!

http://www.xanga.com/InHisSteps13099...w.html#comment

I was going to complain to Xanga but their copyright infringement
procedure was tedious and she was stupid enough to hotlink.

Grumpy Vengeful Jim

She is probably not the only one using your pictures because they are
returned by Google Images search. Google doesn't warn about copyright. Half
of the people don't know what a copyright is, and the other half don't care
about it anyway.

Michel

Ahh, but I do, and the terms of service are plainly spelled out in the
site that she was blogging to.

Again if the site had a simple way to communicate it I would have
simply asked that it be taken down, but I'm not going to fuss with an
hour of aggravation when I can be nasty and make a very clear point.

Ironically, if she would have asked I would have given it to be used,
with a photo credit.

I donate a great deal of time and images to the local animal shelter
and a local wildlife rehabilitation center.

Still Grumpy, Jim

Old January 17th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas

"JimKramer" wrote in message
ps.com...
: Turn the volume down first!
:
:
http://www.xanga.com/InHisSteps13099...w.html#comment
:
: I was going to complain to Xanga but their copyright infringement
: procedure was tedious and she was stupid enough to hotlink.
:
: Grumpy Vengeful Jim
:
-------------------------------------
Hotlinking is (in my opinion) the most flattering way to steal your images.
Take advantage of it and put your name over it or... Change the images
around every few days for some fun.

For a while I used a complicated process of frames and .GIF image to
obfuscate the real images I published but as my pet troll - the Aussie image
thief so clearly demonstrated when I tested the system...

People with criminal minds will steal from you simply because they can. The
generation of people now so complacent about theft, abuse of privileges,
violence and ignorance of copyright (to name just a few of teenagers traits)
have no regard for laws made to protect the wealthy while they themselves
get poorer or at best, end up in a lower middle class rut.

I guess they can't grasp the time, effort and reward thing. Expecting they
are "entitled to" whatever is advertised in magazines describing how to
remain a virgin by having anal sex and the like...

And you though you were Grumpy? A month in traction is what you need if you
want to learn what grumpy is, Jim!
--

Australian Wedding Photography between Kempsy, NSW and Sunshine Coast.
http://www.photosbydouglas.com

Old January 17th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
michelo

"JimKramer" wrote in message
ups.com...

michelo wrote:
"JimKramer" wrote in message
[...]

Anything you put on internet becomes a donation to the web community. Some
commercial site put a transparent copyright across each picture or at least
on the side.

Michel

Old January 17th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Mitchum

michelo wrote:

[..]
Anything you put on internet becomes a donation to the web community.

WRONG.
Old January 18th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Robbins

She may have used your photo without permission but then you called her a
whore. You are hardly acting from a position of moral superiority.

"JimKramer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 18th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Robbins

Legally, no. In fact, yes. Get used to it. If you don't want images taken,
don't put them up.

"Paul Mitchum" wrote in message

[..]