Are manufacturers' warranties upheld for cross-border sales?

Old October 18th 05, 04:38 PM
BD

Default Are manufacturers' warranties upheld for cross-border sales?

Hey, all.

I have a lens I plan to sell, and I intend to open it up for US as well
as Canadian buyers (I'm in Canada). The thing's still quite new, and
has most of the manufacturer's warranty still on it. I have not yet
filled out the warranty card.

Anyone know what the rules/restrictions are regarding the warranty if I
sell this item? Is it still honored? What about across the border??

It's a Canon lens, fwiw...

Thanks!!

BD.

Old October 18th 05, 07:48 PM
John H

On 18 Oct 2005 08:38:05 -0700, "BD" wrote:

Hey, all.

I have a lens I plan to sell, and I intend to open it up for US as well
as Canadian buyers (I'm in Canada). The thing's still quite new, and
has most of the manufacturer's warranty still on it. I have not yet
filled out the warranty card.

Anyone know what the rules/restrictions are regarding the warranty if I
sell this item? Is it still honored? What about across the border??

It's a Canon lens, fwiw...

Thanks!!

BD.

Drop an email to Canon support and ask them. I asked Canon
Canada about warranty on a S2IS that I saw on ebay ,new, that had
Asian markings on the box. Their reply was that the item had to come
from an authorized Canon dealer. That doesn't help you but my point
is that I got a prompt answer from support so maybe Canon US would be
as responsive.
Old October 18th 05, 09:31 PM
Dave Cohen

"John H" wrote in message
[...]

First thing to do is check warranty to see if it is transferable.
Dave Cohen

Old October 18th 05, 10:08 PM
BD

Yes, I guess it's best to get it straight from the source.

Old October 18th 05, 10:23 PM
DeadKenny

BD wrote:
Hey, all.

I have a lens I plan to sell, and I intend to open it up for US as well
as Canadian buyers (I'm in Canada). The thing's still quite new, and
has most of the manufacturer's warranty still on it. I have not yet
filled out the warranty card.

Anyone know what the rules/restrictions are regarding the warranty if I
sell this item? Is it still honored? What about across the border??

It's a Canon lens, fwiw...

Should say on the warranty. Needs to be an International Warranty,
though US/Canada might be covered by a single North American warranty.

Might not be transferrable though.

Also one thing to watch out for is some manufacturers will not honour a
warranty if they find out the product was bought from the grey market.
I've heard of Nikon doing this and if it's an import product they want
proof of purchase along with customs information. I've heard too that
they won't even repair out-of-warranty items if they discover it's grey
market

In other words... if it's a cheap grey market import, your warranty
might not be worth the paper it's written on.

In my opinion it would be illegal if you could do them for being
anti-competitive and breaking free trade laws. Thankfully Nikon it seems
at least have been crapped on by the EU for trying to prevent grey
imports (aka parallel imports) between EU countries, but it still means
I can't buy a lens from Hong Kong where it's far cheaper and get a
warranty that's worth more than ****. If I pay UK rip-off prices on the
other hand, sure.