Digital exposure question

Old February 1st 05, 01:47 AM
John

Default Digital exposure question

I have photographed for years with film using Tri X and developing in D76.
It was a standard for me.
Now I have switched to digital (5 megapixel Nikon) and want to know if the
same rules apply if I want to shoot in black and white mode, i.e. do you
expose for the shadows? Do I have to adjust the contrast to come close to a
good black and white print? Thanks in advance for your help and
suggestions.

Old February 1st 05, 02:21 AM
Joseph Meehan

John wrote:
I have photographed for years with film using Tri X and developing in
D76. It was a standard for me.
Now I have switched to digital (5 megapixel Nikon) and want to know
if the same rules apply if I want to shoot in black and white mode,
i.e. do you expose for the shadows? Do I have to adjust the contrast
to come close to a good black and white print? Thanks in advance for
your help and suggestions.

It seems most shoot for the highlights. Digital has less range so to
get the best results you need to be more careful. I don't know your camera,
but if you shoot in RAW mode you should have a little more wiggle room, but
larger files.

I suggest that you take a day or two and experiment. Just experiment
with exposure and see what works for you and your camera. Don't trust the
"experts" unless you want to do exactly what they do, and if that is your
goal, save yourself the time, just buy copies of their work.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old February 1st 05, 02:44 AM
BobS

John,

I agree with Joseph Meehan in that you have a lot less exposure latitude.
Been a number of years for me but pushing Tri X and D76 gave some great
results but I doubt you'll like the results you'll get with digital in
comparison. You had about 7 stops with Tri X and now you'll have about 3
stops latitude and the shadows will suffer. I've yet to see the digital
equivalent of an Ansel Adams print.

But on the other hand, if you're looking for a challenge, the digital
darkroom can be fun as well as frustrating as I'm learning and there are
ways to make some good looking B&W prints. You don't get them by just doing
a desaturate in Photoshop or any other program either. Lots of better ways
to do it and as Joseph mentioned, shooting in RAW is step 1.

His Irish math does make sense...;-)

Bob S. (Addley - on my Mom's side)

Old February 1st 05, 04:57 AM
Tony

You would be best off to shoot in colour and convert to black and white
in the computer as you will have full control over the image for making
masks, for changing contrast and for post-shoot filtering.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto