Spherical Photography

Old November 14th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jan Nademlejnsky

Default Spherical Photography

Does anybody know how this spherical photography is done and what kind of
equipment do you need to do it? From those amazing pictures I could say that
it cannot be done by stitching, because there are moving objects in the
pictures which would be impossible to stitch together. It looks to me like
the picture is taken as a one shot through spherical mirror (one-way) or
something like this.
http://www.sphericalphoto.com/flash.html

I would appreciate any links to learn more.
Thanks
Jan

Try SPAMfighter for free now!

It has removed 74 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old November 14th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Jan Nademlejnsky wrote:
Does anybody know how this spherical photography is done and what kind of
equipment do you need to do it? From those amazing pictures I could say that
it cannot be done by stitching, because there are moving objects in the
pictures which would be impossible to stitch together. It looks to me like
the picture is taken as a one shot through spherical mirror (one-way) or
something like this.
http://www.sphericalphoto.com/flash.html

I would appreciate any links to learn more.
Thanks
Jan

Do you mean the result shows a full sphere field of view? How is it
displayed?

It is possible to create a torodal field of view lens that gives 360
field of view, but these lenses do not show directly above nor
directly below. The image is printed in a long strip as in a
super-panorama.

Old November 14th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Dingwall

Hi Jan,

This looks like it is made with the Panorama stitching tool called
PTGui. See this image from their website.

http://www.ptgui.com/gallery/natexpo...rama.html?sw=1

Bye for now.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 02:00:54 GMT, "Jan Nademlejnsky"
wrote:

Does anybody know how this spherical photography is done and what kind of
equipment do you need to do it? From those amazing pictures I could say that
it cannot be done by stitching, because there are moving objects in the
pictures which would be impossible to stitch together. It looks to me like
the picture is taken as a one shot through spherical mirror (one-way) or
something like this.
http://www.sphericalphoto.com/flash.html

I would appreciate any links to learn more.
Thanks
Jan

Try SPAMfighter for free now!

It has removed 74 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://www.georgedingwall.co.uk
Old November 14th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Lucke

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

Does anybody know how this spherical photography is done and what kind of
equipment do you need to do it? From those amazing pictures I could say that
it cannot be done by stitching, because there are moving objects in the
pictures which would be impossible to stitch together. It looks to me like
the picture is taken as a one shot through spherical mirror (one-way) or
something like this.
http://www.sphericalphoto.com/flash.html

I would appreciate any links to learn more.
Thanks
Jan

If you inspect all the images on that page, you'll see that all of them
could easily be done using a 360° panorama lens or a set of panorama
cameras with synchronized shutters pointing in several directions at
once (or indeed with a number of normal cameras with very wide angle
lenses linked in the same way), with the addition of a shot or two
straight up with a normal or fisheye or turning the 360° lens 90° on
its side.

Not all the images there even _have_ the overhead component, so it
becomes even more probable that that is how they are made - even the
ones _with_ an overhead portion, that overhead portion is clearly a
static one (ceiling, cloudy sky, etc.), with nothing moving rapidly
enough to not be successfully computer adjusted and stitched into a
360° panorama.

Not too long ago I watched a guy use a homemade rig he had made just to
do that - it was a sheet of 1/2" plywood, on which he had mounted 4
quick release plates for 4 cameras pointing at 0°, 90°, 180°, and 270°
with respect to dead center. He had what he called a "triple tripod"
(3 tripods at the same time) to support the plywood and level it
perfectly, using two of those electronic levels that Home Depot sells
which were mounted on the underside of the plywoood - the beeping from
which was highly annoying in the up-till-then peaceful location until
he finally got it leveled to his satisfaction and turned them off (and
I still have no idea why he mounted them instead of just using one,
settting it in various locations and directions until he was
satisfied). He had rigged up 4 cable remotes to 4 identical (3 rented)
cameras and to an electronic switch unit that looked like it came out
of a garage door opener, so that they would all fire simultaneously.
He locked off all the cameras to the same settings, stepped behind a
large tree, and pressed his [I suppose] garage door remote.

Some people will stop at nothing to attempt be creative. Rube Goldberg
would have been proud. Never did see the image(s), though, so I can't
tell to what extent he was successful. Theoretically, it should have
worked fine, as long as he or his stitching program was good enough to
compensate for the perspective extremes at the edges of the wide angle
shots.

Mind you, this was all to photograph a landscape scene - no moving
components. I have absolutely no idea why he didn't just use one
camera on a tripod and pan it. I never had the nerve to ask him such a
silly question (maybe because my jaw was hanging open the entire time,
and I was trying not to giggle - giggling tends to ruin your image in a
situation like that). Perhaps he was doing proof-of-concept for an
actual action scene, but why he had to do it way out in the
pucker-brush, I don't know.

Likely those pictures you saw were the result of either something
similar but much higher tech, or a true 360° lens.
Old November 14th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

"Jan Nademlejnsky" wrote in message news:qr96h.305462$1T2.144652@pd7urf2no...
Does anybody know how this spherical photography is done and what kind of equipment do you need to do it? From those amazing
pictures I could say that it cannot be done by stitching, because there are moving objects in the pictures which would be
impossible to stitch together. It looks to me like the picture is taken as a one shot through spherical mirror (one-way) or
something like this.
http://www.sphericalphoto.com/flash.html

I would appreciate any links to learn more.
Thanks
Jan

This looks like the result of a camera using two Nikkor 6.2mm f5.6
lenses on cameras mounted back to back - the final image is derived
in software (as I recall...)
--
David Ruether

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

Old November 15th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jan Nademlejnsky

Thanks to everyone to his info.
Jan

"Jan Nademlejnsky" wrote in message
Does anybody know how this spherical photography is done and what kind of
equipment do you need to do it? From those amazing pictures I could say
that it cannot be done by stitching, because there are moving objects in
the pictures which would be impossible to stitch together. It looks to me
like the picture is taken as a one shot through spherical mirror (one-way)
or something like this.
http://www.sphericalphoto.com/flash.html

I would appreciate any links to learn more.
Thanks
Jan

Try SPAMfighter for free now!

It has removed 74 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

It has removed 75 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old November 17th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

Jan Nademlejnsky wrote:
Does anybody know how this spherical photography is done and what kind of
equipment do you need to do it? From those amazing pictures I could say that
it cannot be done by stitching, because there are moving objects in the
pictures which would be impossible to stitch together. It looks to me like
the picture is taken as a one shot through spherical mirror (one-way) or
something like this.
http://www.sphericalphoto.com/flash.html

I would appreciate any links to learn more.
Thanks
Jan

Try SPAMfighter for free now!

It has removed 74 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Stitched. It doesn't matter if things are moving when you take the photo
if you plan it well.

Eric Miller