Suggestions on entry level camera with good macro mode?

Old October 13th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Suggestions on entry level camera with good macro mode?

My Kodak DC 120 appears to be done, but it was fine for my uses, even
at 1 MB. I need to take good close up photos for items that are
anywhere from half an inch square to several inches square. Any ideas
about a 2 to 3 MB digital camera that is reliable and inexpensive, and
takes good close ups (without flash)?

Thanks in advance.

Old October 13th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
deetee

Hi Monty,

I recently bought my first digital camera, a Canon A520 Powershot (4.0
MP), and it seems to do well in the macro mode without flash...I've
photographed insects and other small things moderately well (though for
something as small as half an inch, you'll have to do a bit of
enlarging...I just photographed my thumbnail in moderately dim electric
light, and the image got slightly blurry when I enlarged it to fill,
say, half the screen, but with stronger light this camera should do
well, I think). Good luck!

-deetee

Old October 13th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeremy

wrote in message
oups.com...
My Kodak DC 120 appears to be done, but it was fine for my uses, even
at 1 MB. I need to take good close up photos for items that are
anywhere from half an inch square to several inches square. Any ideas
about a 2 to 3 MB digital camera that is reliable and inexpensive, and
takes good close ups (without flash)?

Ricoh has had a reputation for extremely close macro performance. I
continue to use a Ricoh RDC-5300, 2.3 MP, purchased in 2000 for $700.00,
that can now be had on eBay for about $65.00. It is excellent. It has a
true 3:2 aspect ratio, just like 35mm film frame, interval shooting,
day-date imprinting in 3 modes, 4 flash modes, uses the Fuji Super CCD chip,
9-element ALL GLASS 3X zoom lens, multicoated, with 3 aspherical surfaces,
remote control, styled very similar to Contax G2, has an optical "Real
Image" viewfinder and also has an LCD with a protective slider cover. You
can use the camera without ever removing the LCD cover if you choose. This
saves batteries because the LCD does not turn on, and it also makes this
camera very much like using a traditional film camera, rather than holding
it 6 inches away from your face and composing on the LCD screen.

They're dirt-cheap (I now have 4 of them) and if you can live with 2.3 MP
this is one camera that definitely should be on your short list. You can
see photos and reviews on Steve's Digicams and on Imaging Resource web
sites, also on the Ricoh web site.

I don't think you'll find more camera for that price.

Old October 13th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Oct 13, 2:22 am, "David J Taylor"
My Kodak DC 120 appears to be done, but it was fine for my uses, even
at 1 MB. I need to take good close up photos for items that are
anywhere from half an inch square to several inches square. Any ideas
about a 2 to 3 MB digital camera that is reliable and inexpensive, and
takes good close ups (without flash)?

Thanks in advance.The earlier Nikon Coolpix series take a lot beating for excellent marco

shots - look out for a used Nikon Coolpix 990 (3.2MP), or the 995 or 4500.

David

I'll second the Nikon 995, 990 or 4500. The 990 has the best flash for
macro of the 3, but unrefined controls, though you are coming from an
older camera. These three cameras all came on the market near $1000,
have very good lenses, especially for macro. I have gone on to DSLRs
but I have still kept my 995. The sleeper on these cameras is their B&W
mode, very nice pics at ISO 400. They go for $100-$120.

Tom

Old October 13th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

"tomm42" writes:
I'll second the Nikon 995, 990 or 4500. The 990 has the best flash for
macro of the 3, but unrefined controls, though you are coming from an
older camera. These three cameras all came on the market near $1000,
have very good lenses, especially for macro. I have gone on to DSLRs
but I have still kept my 995. The sleeper on these cameras is their B&W
mode, very nice pics at ISO 400. They go for $100-$120.

Out of these three I'd get the 990 because it uses AA cells instead of
lithium. I hate to sound like a broken record but these cameras
(while still useful) are seriously obsolete, and having to buy weird
expensive batteries for them gets old pretty fast.