Batteries for Kodak DX3600 Camera Dock

Old July 22nd 04, 02:23 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

Default Batteries for Kodak DX3600 Camera Dock

I won this camera & dock on eBay. It's for a friend for Christmas 5 months
from now. Their needs are very simple; a 2.2 megapixel like this one is
plenty enough, and the simplicity of one-touch download/recharge/clearing of
the Compact Flash with the dock would be huge for this person who is
techno-challenged.

I don't think the dock includes the NimH batteries, and I'm wondering if it
would not support other batteries with different milliamps (mAh) than the
original Kodak batteries had. Nothing on the Kodak website states such mAH
matters in terms of what its charger can handle or what its original
batteries were rated at.

Yeah I know it would be easy-enough to buy another battery & charger outfit,
but I am trying to stay in the scheme of the dock as (again) this person
does tend to be techno-challenged.

Tips?

LRH

Old July 22nd 04, 03:16 AM
Ron Hunter

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

[...]

The dock is, indeed, a convenient way for those not really computer
techies to manage loading their photos into the computer.

If you want to use the dock to charge the NIMH batteries, you MUST buy
the Kodak NIMH battery pack. It will NOT charge other types of NIMH
batteries. You can order the battery pack from Kodak, online.

Old July 22nd 04, 08:32 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

I guess you mean this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....type=pr oduct

Or this:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

LRH

Old July 22nd 04, 11:06 PM
Matt

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:23:31 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
wrote:

I won this camera & dock on eBay. It's for a friend for Christmas 5 months
from now. Their needs are very simple; a 2.2 megapixel like this one is
plenty enough, and the simplicity of one-touch download/recharge/clearing of
the Compact Flash with the dock would be huge for this person who is
techno-challenged.

I don't think the dock includes the NimH batteries, and I'm wondering if it

It looks like the Dock, or a Camera/Dock set - IS supplied with an
Easyshare pack.

would not support other batteries with different milliamps (mAh) than the
original Kodak batteries had. Nothing on the Kodak website states such mAH
matters in terms of what its charger can handle or what its original
batteries were rated at.

Yeah I know it would be easy-enough to buy another battery & charger outfit,
but I am trying to stay in the scheme of the dock as (again) this person
does tend to be techno-challenged.

The weakness of the dock, is if you use more than one Easyshare pack,
you have to return the completely flat one to the camera, and you
cannot be charging one while using the camera.

You can buy an Easyshare charger - horribly overpriced for a rejigged
2 cell AA charger.

Anf the extra packs are a horrendously expensive piece of plastic
around a pair of failrly average AA NiMH cells - all the price of a
proprietary pack, but none of the advantages of anything better than
AA cells.

If they are non-techy, they might just as well get used to handling AA
cel sets and a crger, if they are likely to need more than one pack -
I have a spare pack for a mobile phone, and no standalone charger, and
it's a pain - about the least irritation sequence, for two packs, is
to charge the one that's in, replace it with the one that's out (in
flat or indeterminate condition, charge and leave in)

The other issue with the Kodak pack, is it has a tendency to get
sleepy / lazy if not worked hard enough - NiMH do need a degree of
workload, to maintain peak performance, but the Kodak pack tends to be
worse than most.

I'm thinking of the inititial, repeat dock and charge until 2 hours
total, that was common on the DX3700, and may need to be repeated if
the battery is allowed to get sleepy.
--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

Old July 23rd 04, 02:45 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Larry,

I am sure your friend will be very pleased with your choice. Great camera!
I had one for a couple years.

The batteries used in the EasyShare System are constructed in such a way
that when inserted into an EasyShare Camera like the DX3600 the battery
charges in the dock. There is a switch inside the camera that is turned on
when the battery is inserted. It only works with the KAA2HR batteries
supplied for the system. There is currently a range of them that runs from
1450, 1600, 1850, and hopefully at 2100 but not yet. These higher the
number the longer the battery will hold a charge.

It is important to remember, however, that because batteries are chemical
products involving internal chemical reactions, their performance may
deteriorate with prolonged storage. NiMH rechargeable batteries, if not
used for a while, may need to be reconditioned as you would when using them
for the first time. Otherwise, deactivation of the internal reactants may
cause decreased capacity, which causes premature termination of charging.
In other words, the batteries will not charge completely, even though the
dock indicates they have.

If this happens, we have a couple of recommendations. First, make sure you
have the latest firmware. If you don't, consider updating your camera to
the latest version. You can locate the update by going to:

http://www.kodak.com/go/software

Once there, choose your camera from the list. The next page will offer all
the available software for your model, including any current firmware
updates, if available. The firmware download will have a "Read-me" file
that contains the directions for performing the update.

Once you have successfully completed the update, we recommend conditioning
your battery the way you would if it were being used for the first time, as
we mentioned above. It is important that you be sure you always have a
fully charged battery. To do so, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE
Camera Dock. When the charge light turns green (all three green lights are
lit for the KODAK EASYSHARE Dock II), remove the camera from the dock FOR A
MINIMUM OF 5 MINUTES, then place it back on the dock. The 5 minutes the
camera is off the dock are the key to correct recharging for a new or
uncharged battery. Repeat this same process until the combined charging
time, while the light is red on the dock, EQUALS A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.

Once you have completed this charging process, we recommend that you leave
the camera on its dock and intermittently check it for power (remove from
the dock for a while then replace it). If you use your camera frequently,
of course, you will always have a charged battery because you will be
removing and replacing it. If you do not use your camera frequently,
periodically remove the camera from the dock and take a few test shots.
Doing this assures a properly maintained battery so that you will have lots
of power.

Do not make the mistake of trying to charge the KODAK PHOTOLIFE Lithium
Battery, CRV3, that comes with the camera. It is not rechargeable, and an
attempt to do so could result in leakage. Also, please be aware that the
camera will only charge the KODAK KAA2HR NiMh Battery. Non-Kodak batteries
or individual AA rechargeable batteries (including Kodak batteries) are not
compatible with this charger. If you need a separate charger, you should be
able to find one at the following online site:

http://digitalimagingstore.rite2u.com/aghtm/digital.asp

Remember, if you are using a KODAK EASYSHARE Dock I, your camera's dock is
only charging when it displays the red light. If the light is green, that
means it is either done charging or has detected another type of battery it
cannot charge.

If you are using KODAK EASYSHARE Dock II, you will see a sequence of lights
as the charging takes place. It ends with the third light being on (green).

PLEASE ALSO NOTE! Your camera's batteries lose power during image reviews
and when adjusting camera settings. Use of the LCD screen is a big power
drain.

Hope this helps you out, Larry, let me know if there are questions or other
needs. I am here for you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old July 24th 04, 05:49 PM
Matt

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:45:30 -0400, "Ron Baird"
wrote:

Greetings Larry,

I am sure your friend will be very pleased with your choice. Great camera!
I had one for a couple years.

The batteries used in the EasyShare System are constructed in such a way
that when inserted into an EasyShare Camera like the DX3600 the battery
charges in the dock. There is a switch inside the camera that is turned on
when the battery is inserted. It only works with the KAA2HR batteries

Interesting - on feeding KAA2HR into a search engine - there are now
MANY clones.
http://www.batterysavings.com/site/1...CID=C10204x021
One from "Hi-capacity"
The Lenmar DMKA2 also seems to be a widely stocked replacement.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal...ot_id=588 790

So the Easyshare pack (NiMH) has been cloned, just like most other
packs, Ink cartridges etc.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
$14.95 fot the genuine Kodak, - either the cloners are mot doing many
favours (a bit under $10 seems to be the chapest of those that are
actually available), or Kodak have already responded - searches found
clones at HIGHER prices than this official Kodak.

supplied for the system. There is currently a range of them that runs from
1450, 1600, 1850, and hopefully at 2100 but not yet. These higher the
number the longer the battery will hold a charge.

Not seen anything other than an official 1600, though some of the
cloners seem to favour 1800.

Capacity is not the only factor though, as some higher capacity cells
don't handle the high load too well.

I'd say most 2xAA cameras actually push the batteries too hard, and
particularly the small and not very good spring contacts - the AA
format was never designed for currents that must be over an amp.

[...]

The Camera/Dock will NOT attempt to charge it, unless you have
tampered with the tripswitch in the camera that is operated by the
plastic frame of the battery pack - that is the point of the system
that also stops you charging loose NiMH cells in the camera.

My old Casio calculator had a similar system, and when the battery
pack no longer held a worthwhile charge, I remade it myself.

camera will only charge the KODAK KAA2HR NiMh Battery. Non-Kodak batteries
or individual AA rechargeable batteries (including Kodak batteries) are not
compatible with this charger. If you need a separate charger, you should be
able to find one at the following online site:

http://digitalimagingstore.rite2u.com/aghtm/digital.asp

Remember, if you are using a KODAK EASYSHARE Dock I, your camera's dock is
only charging when it displays the red light. If the light is green, that
means it is either done charging or has detected another type of battery it
cannot charge.

The "standard" dock for this model - it also does not charge while in
transfer mode - if impatient for the auto-timeout, when transfer is
complete, reach over and hold the power button for 5 seconds -
cancelling transfer mode and returning to charge mode - it may not be
official procedure, but it works

If you are using KODAK EASYSHARE Dock II, you will see a sequence of lights
as the charging takes place. It ends with the third light being on (green).

PLEASE ALSO NOTE! Your camera's batteries lose power during image reviews
and when adjusting camera settings. Use of the LCD screen is a big power
drain.

LCD on while shooting is the highest drain, unfortunately, many
adjustments cannot be performed without the LCD.

If you are stretching battery life, be sure to turn off the feature
for reviewing the picture, and use the optical viewfinder, rather than
the LCD - if you push it until you lose battery power, you can corrupt
the memory card!

NB. 64Mb MMC cards tend to be around at clearance prices, so if it has
no card or a smaller one, add a 64Mb - and from my experience, you'll
be lucky to shoot-up a full 64Mb card on one set of batteries.