Looking for advice on entry level SLR Please!

Old December 21st 03, 05:15 PM
woobles

Default Looking for advice on entry level SLR Please!

Hello,
I am looking for suggestions on an entry level SLR.
I will be using the camera mainly for
1) Massive amounts of pictures of my family which I often print.
2) Periodic weddings that friends ask me to shoot being that they like
my pictures ect..ect..
3) I do a lot of photo printing mainly 4x6's but occasionally 8x10's
and am looking for very good quality at 8x10.
4) I take holiday 4 times a year and keep my camera with me at all
times averaging 500 pictures in 7 days.

I am not a professional but do not mind learning what's needed to
handle an SLR.
I have all of adobe products and do a lot of editing and retouch when
needed such as wrinkle removal, trimming down the bride and the like.

I am looking for something that will fit the following needs.
1)Accepts standard rechargeable AA's
2)Optical viewfinder
3)Prefer to handle compact flash but not a decisive factor.
4)Is pretty fast at continuous shooting, but rapid fire not really
needed.My old DC280 could take 3 shots at about 2 seconds apart, then
I had to wait 20 seconds before I could shoot again.
5)I would like to stay under $1000 for the camera itself.

In general, I'm just looking for a good solid camera that has some
weight to it and that offers a good quality shot. Advanced settings
would be nice for I can learn as I go. I do not want a tiny point and
shoot type, and I want to avoid
manufacturer specific memory and power systems. When shooting at a
wedding, I like to shoot, wait a few seconds, shoot, and repeat
without problems.I consider myself somewhere between amateur and
professional and am looking to move up to the next level.

Thank you very much in advance,
any input appreciated.
Robert
Old December 21st 03, 05:33 PM
J. D.

woobles wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for suggestions on an entry level SLR.
I will be using the camera mainly for
1) Massive amounts of pictures of my family which I often print.
2) Periodic weddings that friends ask me to shoot being that they like
my pictures ect..ect..
3) I do a lot of photo printing mainly 4x6's but occasionally 8x10's
and am looking for very good quality at 8x10.
4) I take holiday 4 times a year and keep my camera with me at all
times averaging 500 pictures in 7 days.

I am not a professional but do not mind learning what's needed to
handle an SLR.
I have all of adobe products and do a lot of editing and retouch when
needed such as wrinkle removal, trimming down the bride and the like.

I am looking for something that will fit the following needs.
1)Accepts standard rechargeable AA's

Most dSLRs will have lithium batteries, similar to camcorder type.

2)Optical viewfinder

All have viewfinders. LCD screen is used for review, menus and info only.

3)Prefer to handle compact flash but not a decisive factor.

I think all use compact flash. you can use up to 4GB cards.

4)Is pretty fast at continuous shooting, but rapid fire not really
needed.My old DC280 could take 3 shots at about 2 seconds apart, then
I had to wait 20 seconds before I could shoot again.

The Canon Digital Rebel will fire 4 bursts at 2.5 per second before it
has to recycle.
5)I would like to stay under $1000 for the camera itself.

The Canon DRebel is under $1000 including a kit lens (18-55mm). Nikon
will be releasing a sub-grand dSLR, but not until March. If you can find
a Canon 10D or Nikon D100 for around a grand, I'd go for that. But if
you're relatively new to SLRs, then go for the DRebel.

Jay