Gimp for windows?

Old October 19th 04, 11:43 PM
Tripmonkey (UK)

Default Gimp for windows?

Any one from the group use this software instead/aswell as photoshop?
Just curious as to how well it compares.
Had a quick go on it myself but as I've only just started to get into
editing photo's fully, I'm not really the best person to comment on it.
I build a lot of computers for people and they are always asking my
opinion on what software to use. I try and steer them away from pirate
progs and to the freeware ones as much as possible but it's not that
easy with programs like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete
with it's features.
For basic editing I get them to use photofilter but they normally
complain that they want the best (even though they will never use it).
I really want to get them something that uses layers if possible as this
is one of the only advanced options that I can see them using.

Cheers in advance..
Trip
Old October 19th 04, 11:55 PM
chidalgo

Tripmonkey (UK) escribio:

[...]

I love open source, and like GIMP, but it can't be compared to Photoshop.

For basic editing plus something else, it's good. But Photoshop is by
far the best.

Of course, in Photoshop you need to pay (a lot!) for its perfection

GIMP is good, but maybe is not good enough. If money is an issue, go
with GIMP.

--
chidalgo
Old October 20th 04, 12:13 AM
GT40

The GIMP is the best for the price!! Can do most basic PS functions

Old October 20th 04, 12:51 AM
Alan Meyer

"Tripmonkey (UK)" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I never used Photoshop. Couldn't justify the cost. But I have
used the Gimp on Windows. It works well.

I've also consumer oriented photo editors - Photosuite,
Picture It, and the precursor to Photoshop Elements.

My impression is that the Gimp is much better than the consumer
oriented photo editors, but is much harder to use. Photoshop
may also be harder to use. For casual users who want to
crop a photo, sharpen it, and maybe brighten the color, the
Gimp will be very intimidating. However if they really want
to put some learning time in and want to get excellent results,
the Gimp will do really well.

Alan

Old October 20th 04, 12:56 AM
Derek Fountain

Tripmonkey (UK) wrote:

Do the layers handle the same way in Gimp as they do in Photoshop?

Yes, but only in so far as they go. GIMP doesn't have adjustment layers, or
layer clipping, or layer sets, etc. It has the basics of Photoshop and no
more. Blend modes work in the same way and have the same names for the most
part, so at least that should be familiar.

Old October 20th 04, 01:33 AM
Chris D

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:43:46 GMT
"Tripmonkey (UK)" wrote:

I build a lot of computers for people and
they are always asking my opinion on what software to use. I
try and steer them away from pirate progs and to the freeware
ones as much as possible but it's not that easy with programs
like photoshop as not many freeware progs can compete with
it's features.

Being in a similar position to you (Not so much with
Photoediting, but mainly office stuff) - My advice to people is
to Go with the freeware program, try it for a week or two. If
you don't like it, or it doesn't have all the features you need,
well then you think about shelling out the cash for something
"better", for want of a better word. If you fork out (x)
dollars, then realise that you could have used freeware, you've
lost (x) dollars, which is normally a pretty big number. If you
use freeware, realise it's not enough, then buy something,
you've lost nothing but the time you spent trying the freeware.

-Chris D