Bad Air & Smoke in my California Neighborhood

Old September 15th 20, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_8_]

Default Bad Air & Smoke in my California Neighborhood

On Sep 15, 2020 at 10:03:24 AM PDT, "Alfred Molon"
wrote:

In article
.com,
says...
Here is one of my first (4th) MA2 flights in early July, which taught me a
lesson about losing visual contact & controller connection. Fortunately the
excellent DJI system saved the day. What I am showing with this video are
the hills shown in the linked shot above, and just how clear things are when
there is no smoke.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-Jv5psp9/0/4b99207a/1920/NearMiss-1920.mp4

Pretty cool. So it autoinitiated the return to home when it lost
contact, and automatically reestablished the connection to your
controller once it was in range?

Yup!

It has a few failsafe features to prevent a lost drone if controller signal is
lost, battery level is too low, or if you have lost visual contact. It will
either initiate Auto Return to Home (RTH), or you can initiate RTH via the
controller. You can cancel the Auto RTH once signal has been reestablished.

It is good to be able to navigate back to your home point and land manually
without the auto feature, but they are good to have. The other useful aid is
the map on the controller which shows, and records the flight path.

If the worst had happen, and I had to hike to retrieve it, there is a "find my
drone" feature activates a beeper and has the marker lights flashing.

The obstacle avoidance system also has several options to either go around, or
over an obstacle, hover in place, or land.

In the video above, the signal was reestablished when it cleared the tree and
had an unobscured signal path. For one moment I visualized $799 lost.
Savageduck