What is the easiest way to find all images on a computer hard drive?

Old September 3rd 20, 09:16 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
David_B

Default What is the easiest way to find all images on a computer hard drive?

On 01/09/2020 12:04, FromTheRafters wrote:
David_B submitted this idea :
I've read he
https://www.macworld.com/article/316...-your-mac.html

*How would YOU find all the photographs on a hard drive*?

TIA

I wouldn't. I would leave alone all of the small photos and images for
icons, buttons and such in the system storage areas and concentrate only
on the images elsewhere in user storage areas. Finding 'all' images
could take a very long time.

That being said, I have some of my photographs in 'system' on this
computer so I can have a slideshow for the system screensaver and a
different slideshow for each user's screensaver.

"Each user's" rather threw me! I didn't imagine you would be letting
anyone else use YOUR computer!

I found this review https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/thephotostick.com

I've decided NOT to buy the heavily promoted item.

=

You may wonder why I was bothered! Since I bought my first iMac in March
2009 I have used a number of different operating systems.

OS X 10.5 Leopard (Chablis) - 26 October 2007
OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - 28 August 2009
OS X 10.7 Lion (Barolo) - 20 July 2011
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (Zinfandel) - 25 July 2012
OS X 10.9 Mavericks (Cabernet) - 22 October 2013
OS X 10.10: Yosemite (Syrah) - 16 October 2014
OS X 10.11: El Capitan (Gala) - 30 September 2015
macOS 10.12: Sierra (Fuji) - 20 September 2016
macOS 10.13: High Sierra (Lobo) - 25 September 2017
macOS 10.14: Mojave (Liberty) - 24 September 2018
macOS 10.15: Catalina (Jazz) - 7 October 2019

I purchased my 'new' machine when Apple decided that my hardware was
incapable of running High Sierra. I recall being rather cross about that!

At the start the software application called 'iPhoto' seemed fantastic,
especially after using Microsoft Windows for so long, and I very slowly
got to grips with it. Then Apple replaced it in 2015 with a completely
new application called, simply, 'Photos'.

For me the changeover was a disaster. :-( My wife and I spent weeks
trying to get our thousnds of photos into some semblance of order and
removing hundreds of duplicates. We are at last 'getting there' but it
has been frustrating to say the least!

I've now found this article which I will study later.
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...n-mac-3783353/

Here's a photograph which I took in May 2014. You can see that it is
unique and a 'never-to-be-forgotten' image! https://ibb.co/r6B21y7

I wanted to show it to a friend, along with many other photographs taken
when carrying out a top-end overhaul of the rather special engine in my
narrowboat.

It was nowhere to be found! I looked on *this* computer, the hard drive
from old iMac, my laptop, SD cards from old cameras, searched through
dozens of CDs and DVDs and my frustration grew. I KNEW I had taken the
shot! Grrrr! There appeared to be a batch of photos from March to June
2014 "missing"!

Some years ago I'd bought a software programme called Disk Drill which I
had used to recover all the photographs from my builder's laptop -
dropped and smashed by one of his young sons. To refamiliarise myself
with its use, I tried to recover photos from the SD card in my Fujifilm
camera - I must have used it to take the missing photographs as 2014 was
before I had an iPhone! The result? I did recover dozens of pictures -
but none from the period in question.

What next? I've always used a WD 'My Book' external hard drive in
conjunction with Apple's Time Machine facility. I decided to try my luck
and scan my entire 2TB external hard drive with Disk Drill. I found
THOUSANDS of images and have stored them all on THIS machine (it has a
2TB Fusion Drive). It took ages sifting through them but, eventually, I
found my missing photographs! :-D

--
Kind regards,
David_B
Old September 3rd 20, 03:09 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Snit

On Sep 3, 2020 at 3:20:40 AM MST, "FromTheRafters"
[...]

I understand. I can't play some movies on YT because I don't have the
right player because I don't have the right browser because I don't
have the right software platform because I don't have the right
hardware platform.

I get most of this -- I have "lost" plenty of old software due to it no longer
being supported -- but are you saying you cannot play some videos on YouTube
because of that? If so which ones?

Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow
superior by attacking the messenger.

Old September 3rd 20, 06:22 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , FromTheRafters
wrote:

I can't play some movies on YT because I don't have the
right player because I don't have the right browser because I don't
have the right software platform because I don't have the right
hardware platform.

which ones might those those be?

if you can see any movie on youtube, then you should be able to see all
of them.
Old September 3rd 20, 06:30 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Snit

On Sep 3, 2020 at 10:22:21 AM MST, "nospam" wrote:

In article , FromTheRafters
wrote:

I can't play some movies on YT because I don't have the
right player because I don't have the right browser because I don't
have the right software platform because I don't have the right
hardware platform.

which ones might those those be?

if you can see any movie on youtube, then you should be able to see all
of them.

I assume you mean merely based on technical viewing issues -- not other
considerations (public vs. private, etc.).

Old September 4th 20, 02:37 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Snit

Snit pretended :

wrote:

I can't play some movies on YT because I don't have the
right player because I don't have the right browser because I don't
have the right software platform because I don't have the right
hardware platform.

which ones might those those be?

if you can see any movie on youtube, then you should be able to see all
of them.

I assume you mean merely based on technical viewing issues -- not other
considerations (public vs. private, etc.).

e's probably right, I just need to investigate it more. It is an HTML5
issue with some YT videos I think.

Do you have some examples of ones that do and ones that do not work for you?

And, yes, assuming he means merely based on technical viewing issues of ones
that SHOULD be viewable I think he is right.

Old September 5th 20, 04:16 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Fishrrman

On 9/3/20 4:16 AM, David_B wrote:
There appeared to be a batch of photos from March to June
2014 "missing"!

Download the free app "Find Any File" from he
https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

Open it.

Click the "+" sign so there are three search fields

In the first, choose "created date" "is on or after" 3/1/2014.

In the second, choose "created date" "is on or before" 7/1/2014

In the third, choose "kind" "is" "image".

Now... search.
Does that help...?
Old September 5th 20, 07:50 AM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
David_B

On 05/09/2020 04:16, Fishrrman wrote:
On 9/3/20 4:16 AM, David_B wrote:
There appeared to be a batch of photos from March to June 2014 "missing"!

Download the free app "Find Any File" from he
https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

Open it.

Click the "+" sign so there are three search fields

In the first, choose "created date" "is on or after" 3/1/2014.

In the second, choose "created date" "is on or before" 7/1/2014

In the third, choose "kind" "is" "image".

Now... search.
Does that help...?

Wow! :-) Yes - that is a great help. THANK YOU! :-D

I have located my 'missing' photographs.

THIS item was most interesting too:-

"The root mode is mainly useful when the Mac has multiple user accounts
configured and you like to find files in every user's private folders.
Without the root mode, you won't get to look at other users' files.

If you're the only user on the computer, then using the root search mode
is hardly ever necessary, as whilst Mac OS X does protect quite a few
system files, it doesn't usually hide them from view. However, there may
be software that hides files on purpose from you, and that's where the
root mode might help you reveal those items, too.

If you prefer to perform all your searches in this root mode, see the
manual: Automating "Find All""

https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/support.php#asroot

--
Kind regards,
David
Old September 6th 20, 06:05 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Shadow

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 07:50:17 +0100, David_B
wrote:

THIS item was most interesting too:-

"The root mode is mainly useful when the Mac has multiple user accounts
configured and you like to find files in every user's private folders.
Without the root mode, you won't get to look at other users' files."

You've been using a Mac for a decade and you didn't know that?
You, a self declared forensic expert?
Sht, I've NEVER used a Mac and I knew it.
LOL

What comes next, you ask the OP for his personal details and
steal his copyrighted work?

------------------------------------
BD: I want people to "get to know me better. I have nothing to
hide".
I'm always here to help, this page was put up at BD's request,
rather, he said "Do it *NOW*!":

67 confirmed #FAKE_NYMS, most used in cybercrimes!
Google "David Brooks Devon"
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old September 6th 20, 06:10 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Snit

wrote:

THIS item was most interesting too:-

"The root mode is mainly useful when the Mac has multiple user accounts
configured and you like to find files in every user's private folders.
Without the root mode, you won't get to look at other users' files."

You've been using a Mac for a decade and you didn't know that?

Because Apple does not speak much of the root account... for most users it is
not needed and not recommended to EVER use, no less enable.

This is pretty common knowledge among techie folks who use Macs.

Old September 6th 20, 06:18 PM posted to alt.computer.workshop,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

wrote:

THIS item was most interesting too:-

"The root mode is mainly useful when the Mac has multiple user accounts
configured and you like to find files in every user's private folders.
Without the root mode, you won't get to look at other users' files."

You've been using a Mac for a decade and you didn't know that?

Because Apple does not speak much of the root account... for most users it is
not needed and not recommended to EVER use, no less enable.

I've enabled it in the past but hardly ever used it. At one point there
were some things I wanted to experiment with and via root was the only
way to configure those things. Amongst them setting the time server
(IIRC) to a local server vice the Apple server. And once upon a time
played with the VM settings in detail (including disabling VM and other
things). Could never find a sudo means to do those at the time.

It's no longer enabled on this Mac. After I did a clean install a few
years ago I never bothered.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."