Question about the Nikon WMU app

Old August 11th 20, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Carlos E.R.

Default Question about the Nikon WMU app

Hi,

I have a question about the Nikon WMU app (Wireless Mobile Utility) for
Android.

How does one close the app?

I can't, it stays in the notification area of the phone. I know I did
exit the app in the past, but today I can not find where. It was
somewhere in the menu.

Google is of no help. I find things about the app, but nothing specific
about how to totally exit it.

The only remaining way is to reboot the phone :-(

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old August 11th 20, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
"Carlos E.R." wrote:

Hi,

I have a question about the Nikon WMU app (Wireless Mobile Utility) for
Android.

How does one close the app?

I can't, it stays in the notification area of the phone. I know I did
exit the app in the past, but today I can not find where. It was
somewhere in the menu.

Google is of no help. I find things about the app, but nothing specific
about how to totally exit it.

The only remaining way is to reboot the phone :-(

Carlos-

Is there a "Press-and-hold" menu?

Fred
Old August 11th 20, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
geoff

On 11/08/2020 12:12 pm, Carlos E.R. wrote:
Hi,

I have a question about the Nikon WMU app (Wireless Mobile Utility) for
Android.

How does one close the app?

I can't, it stays in the notification area of the phone. I know I did
exit the app in the past, but today I can not find where. It was
somewhere in the menu.

Google is of no help. I find things about the app, but nothing specific
about how to totally exit it.

The only remaining way is to reboot the phone :-(

Try going to the three vertical lines icon on the bottom LHS of phone.
Click on it , then select 'Close All' . You'll be surprised to see all
the apps still there that you assumed were closed. Only ones with
explicit 'Exit' or 'Close' boxes actually get closed.

geoff
Old August 11th 20, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Arlen Holder[_6_]

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 02:12:39 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

How does one close the app?

Hi Carlos,

What happens when you "press and hold the back button" while in the app?
https://i.postimg.cc/gjZR18Yz/nikon02.jpg

To help you out, I installed the Nikon Wireless Mobility Utility on my Moto
G7 Android 10 so that I could try to reproduce the problem you're seeing:
o WirelessMobileUtility, by Nikon Corporation
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nikon.wu.wmau

Mine was the Nikon WMU version 1.6.2.3001.106023001 from Google Play.
https://i.postimg.cc/pXjQLvPr/nikon01.jpg

It has a gear icon at top right when the app is open, where I went first to
look to see if it has a "stay open at all costs" option somewhere. (It also
gets to the settings if you "press and hold the back button" while the app
is running.)

The only setting that "could" have an effect on your issue, would be the
"app auto launch" setting which defaults to "no"; but I doubt that's your
issue since you aren't saying the app is automatically launching on its
own.

However, when you press and hold the back button while the app is running,
it does have an "Exit" button on the bottom right, which works for me.
https://i.postimg.cc/gjZR18Yz/nikon02.jpg
--
What matters on Usenet is the value added by the poster; not his nym.
Old August 11th 20, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Carlos E.R.

On 11/08/2020 02.12, Carlos E.R. wrote:
Hi,

I have a question about the Nikon WMU app (Wireless Mobile Utility) for
Android.

How does one close the app?

I can't, it stays in the notification area of the phone. I know I did
exit the app in the past, but today I can not find where. It was
somewhere in the menu.

Google is of no help. I find things about the app, but nothing specific
about how to totally exit it.

The only remaining way is to reboot the phone :-(

I got it closed by going to the general Android Setup icon, then
applications, then find the wmu app, then force close application.

My phone doesn't have the bottom 3 buttons, just the finger sensors, and
gestures on it. So, no press and hold on "back" possible.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old August 11th 20, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Carlos E.R.

On 11/08/2020 06.32, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 02:12:39 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

How does one close the app?

Hi Carlos,

What happens when you "press and hold the back button" while in the app?
https://i.postimg.cc/gjZR18Yz/nikon02.jpg

No such button nor menu. See my other answer.

[...]

No, I start it manually.

Old August 11th 20, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Carlos E.R.

On 11/08/2020 04.37, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
"Carlos E.R." wrote:

Hi,

I have a question about the Nikon WMU app (Wireless Mobile Utility) for
Android.

How does one close the app?

I can't, it stays in the notification area of the phone. I know I did
exit the app in the past, but today I can not find where. It was
somewhere in the menu.

Google is of no help. I find things about the app, but nothing specific
about how to totally exit it.

The only remaining way is to reboot the phone :-(

Carlos-

Is there a "Press-and-hold" menu?

No... I tried press and hold on all places I could think of.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old August 11th 20, 11:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Carlos E.R.

On 11/08/2020 04.42, geoff wrote:
On 11/08/2020 12:12 pm, Carlos E.R. wrote:
Hi,

I have a question about the Nikon WMU app (Wireless Mobile Utility)
for Android.

How does one close the app?

I can't, it stays in the notification area of the phone. I know I did
exit the app in the past, but today I can not find where. It was
somewhere in the menu.

Google is of no help. I find things about the app, but nothing
specific about how to totally exit it.

The only remaining way is to reboot the phone :-(

Try going to the three vertical lines icon on the bottom LHS of phone.
Click on it , then select 'Close All' . You'll be surprised to see all
the apps still there that you assumed were closed. Only ones with
explicit 'Exit' or 'Close' boxes actually get closed.

This phone doesn't have the bottom global menu. Instead, it has a finger
sensor outside of the screen area, which detect gestures. Slide right
shows the list of previously used apps. There is no "close all". If I
slide out an app, it normally closes, except this one (the TomTom app,
called "My Drive" similarly refuses to close).

As I commented on another message, I got it closed by going to the

Old August 11th 20, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Jesper Kaas

wrote:

Hi,

I have a question about the Nikon WMU app (Wireless Mobile Utility) for
Android.

How does one close the app?

I can't, it stays in the notification area of the phone. I know I did
exit the app in the past, but today I can not find where. It was
somewhere in the menu.

I had the same problem with Tidal, but now that is fixed in a new
version.
You can go to the list of applications, Select WMU and then do a
"forced stop" (translated from norwegian, do not know what it is in
english). It could make the app behave strange, not sure if Tidal did
that.
--
Jesper Kaas -
Old August 11th 20, 12:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.android
Carlos E.R.

On 11/08/2020 04.42, geoff wrote:
On 11/08/2020 12:12 pm, Carlos E.R. wrote:
Hi,

I have a question about the Nikon WMU app (Wireless Mobile Utility)
for Android.

How does one close the app?

I can't, it stays in the notification area of the phone. I know I did
exit the app in the past, but today I can not find where. It was
somewhere in the menu.

Google is of no help. I find things about the app, but nothing
specific about how to totally exit it.

The only remaining way is to reboot the phone :-(

Try going to the three vertical lines icon on the bottom LHS of phone.
Click on it , then select 'Close All' . You'll be surprised to see all
the apps still there that you assumed were closed. Only ones with
explicit 'Exit' or 'Close' boxes actually get closed.

I don't have it.

There is no bottom three buttons, disabled. Instead, there is finger
detector. Hold, it is finger print detector + home, which is confusing.
Slide left is "back". Slide right, is list of apps - and yes, I can
display the list of apps and slide this one out: but it doesn't close.

--
Cheers, Carlos.