Tutorial to rotate an entire cellphone video 90 degrees in Shotcut freeware

Old August 2nd 20, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Arlen Holder[_6_]

Default Tutorial to rotate an entire cellphone video 90 degrees in Shotcut freeware

I snapped a video today which was rotated, where I needed to flip it.
o Looking it up, there were _many_ ways, one of which is shown below.

If you know of a better, easier, more effective rotate, let us know.

How to rotate an entire cellphone video 90 degrees in Shotcut freeware
1. Download & install Shotcut freeware from http://shotcut.org/download/
2. Make a copy of a small smartphone test video, e.g., "test1.mp4".
(My test video was about 60 seconds at about 60MB, aka 60,000KB.)
3. Start Shotcut (mine was version 20.07.11) and open the test video:
File Open File test1.mp4
4. Make sure "View Filters" is set & click the "Filters" tab.
5. In the Filters tab, click the "+" icon (aka "Add a filter").
6. Select "Rotate and Scale" & set the "Rotation" field to "90.0 deg".
7. Click the "Export" tab and then the "Export File" tab.
8. Choose a new name, e.g., "test2.mp4" & press the "Save" button.
9. At the top right, a "Jobs" window will show the 0-to-100% progress.
10. Voila! When the job is 100% finished, you have a newly rotated video.

As always, please improve so that all benefit from every action you take.
--
The high cost of freeware is in finding & testing those that work best.
Old August 2nd 20, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
ray carter

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 18:43:14 +0000, Arlen Holder wrote:

[...]

I simply use 'ffmpeg' - one simple command line. And it's multithreaded
so maxes out all foyr cores on my desktop.
Old August 2nd 20, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-08-02 18:22, ray carter wrote:

I simply use 'ffmpeg' - one simple command line. And it's multithreaded
so maxes out all foyr cores on my desktop.

Handbrake (freeware too: Linux, Mac OS, and that crap from WA state),
does it with a simple drop list to select rotation (90° .. 270° in 90°
increments) under "Filters". Also multithreaded. Also has a plethora
of other options (ie: can select ffmpeg to do the huffing and puffing
(not the default)), CLI version too...
Old August 2nd 20, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
nospam

In article , ray carter
wrote:

I snapped a video today which was rotated, where I needed to flip it.
o Looking it up, there were _many_ ways, one of which is shown below.

If you know of a better, easier, more effective rotate, let us know.

I simply use 'ffmpeg' - one simple command line. And it's multithreaded
so maxes out all foyr cores on my desktop.

the easiest method is to rotate it directly in the video player. no
intermediate conversion needed.
Old August 3rd 20, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Arlen Holder[_6_]

On 2 Aug 2020 22:22:56 GMT, ray carter wrote:

I simply use 'ffmpeg' - one simple command line. And it's multithreaded
so maxes out all foyr cores on my desktop.

Ah, yes, FFMEPG!
o https://ffmpeg.org/download.html
o https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmpeg/

Thanks for that suggestion to use FFMPEG freeware, which also came up on
the Android newsgroups when discussing how to run the conversion on the
smartphone:
o *Android ad free gsf free freeware to rotate a cellphone video by 90 degrees*
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/ef_YFoctoLA

Given the US & European patents finally expired, FFMPEG should be
packagable in other apps nowadays, without us having to download it
separately, e.g., for Audacity https://audacityguide.com/ffmpeg-audacity.

Looking up the FFMPEG command to rotate 90 degrees, I find it he
o *How To Rotate Videos Using FFMpeg From Commandline*
https://ostechnix.com/how-to-rotate-videos-using-ffmpeg-from-commandline/
o $ ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf "transpose=clock" output.mp4
Or...
o $ ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf "transpose=1" output.mp4
Where...
o 0 - Rotate by 90 degrees counter-clockwise and flip vertically
o 1 - Rotate by 90 degrees clockwise.
o 2 - Rotate by 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
o 3 - Rotate by 90 degrees clockwise and flip vertically.

Where flipping vertically & horizontally is also scripted:
o *Rotate/flip video with ffmpeg*
https://duxyng.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/rotateflip-video-with-ffmpeg/
For example... To Flip video vertically:
o ffmpeg -i INPUT -vf vflip -c:a copy OUTPUT

To Flip video horizontally:
o ffmpeg -i INPUT -vf hflip -c:a copy OUTPUT

To Rotate 90 degrees clockwise:
o ffmpeg -i INPUT -vf transpose=1 -c:a copy OUTPUT

To Rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise:
o ffmpeg -i INPUT -vf transpose=2 -c:a copy OUTPUT

Where there's a snippet of FFMPEG batch commands he
https://gist.github.com/cmlewis/f950d876171a11703f89
o ffmpeg_rotate_90_or_180_degrees.bat
rem For the transpose parameter you can pass:
rem
rem 0 = 90CounterCLockwise and Vertical Flip (default)
rem 1 = 90Clockwise
rem 2 = 90CounterClockwise
rem 3 = 90Clockwise and Vertical Flip
rem
rem To rotate 180 degrees, instead use "transpose=2,transpose=2"
rem
rem Using -codec:a copy will simply copy the audio instead of reencoding
rem
ffmpeg -i in.mp4 -vf "transpose=1" -codec:a copy out.mp4
--
Adults working together to solve problems is what Usenet is all about.
Old August 3rd 20, 11:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 03/08/2020 06:42, RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 2 August 2020 14:43:17 UTC-4, Arlen Holder wrote:
[...]

Otherwise known as software for those too stupid to live. If I have to look at ONE more video with the narrow format flanked by blurred sides to fill a real screen...

VLC does this too, a lot easier.
Old August 3rd 20, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Arlen Holder[_6_]

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 18:38:27 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

Handbrake (freeware too: Linux, Mac OS, and that crap from WA state),
does it with a simple drop list to select rotation (90° .. 270° in 90°
increments) under "Filters". Also multithreaded. Also has a plethora
of other options (ie: can select ffmpeg to do the huffing and puffing
(not the default)), CLI version too...

Ah, Handbrake!
https://i.postimg.cc/BnmGGmg8/handbrake.jpg

I had forgotten about C:\software\editor\convert\handbrake, which I used to
use often, which replaced Super when Super went over to the dark side:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
https://github.com/HandBrake
https://sourceforge.net/projects/handbrake.mirror/

While I keep editors and codecs in separate directories...
https://i.postimg.cc/Wz0vLjWj/editors.jpg

In my "conversion" directory, are the following from long ago:
o C:\software\editor\convert\avidemux
o C:\software\editor\convert\avisynth
o C:\software\editor\convert\handbrake
o C:\software\editor\convert\oxelon
o C:\software\editor\convert\super
o C:\software\editor\convert\totallyfreeconverter
o C:\software\editor\convert\virtualdub

Note that VLC, FFMPEG, and other "players" & "components" are in a
different locale...e.g., C:\software\editor\codec\...
o C:\software\editor\codec\avicodec
o C:\software\editor\codec\codecinstaller
o C:\software\editor\codec\cole2k
o C:\software\editor\codec\gspot
o C:\software\editor\codec\klite
o C:\software\editor\codec\mediainfo
o C:\software\editor\codec\screencapturecodec
o C:\software\editor\codec\videoinspector

And in C:\software\editor\vid\... as shown in the screenshot above:
o C:\software\editor\vid\adobe_premiere
o C:\software\editor\vid\avisynth
o C:\software\editor\vid\kdenlive
o C:\software\editor\vid\mpc_be
o C:\software\editor\vid\mpc_with_klite
o C:\software\editor\vid\mpc_without_klite
o C:\software\editor\vid\shotcut
o C:\software\editor\vid\videopad
o C:\software\editor\vid\vlc

Thanks for the suggestion of Handbrake, which is not only cross platform,
but which also has a "simpler" method, I'm sure, for 90-degree video
rotation.
--
The experiences of others drastically reduces the high cost of freeware.
Old August 3rd 20, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Arlen Holder[_6_]

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 19:21:17 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Libor Striz wrote:

the easiest method is to rotate it directly in the video player.
nointermediate conversion needed.

While rotating it every time anyone views it will work,
each person has to figure out how to do that on each
platform that is viewing the video.

That's not efficient, IMHO, overall.

Additionally, if a video player does not have a particular desired
feature,
an Avisynth script can do near any video preprocessing,
limited only by CPU ( and eventually GPU ) performance.

Thanks for the suggestion of Avisynth, which I have, but I haven't used it
https://i.postimg.cc/Wz0vLjWj/editors.jpg

My log files contain this snippet, which includes avisynth:

o ShotCut freeware pretty much handles everything fantastically
https://www.shotcutapp.com/download/
o Handbrake freeware is cross platform compatible
https://handbrake.fr/
o Super freeware used to be the best (but get the older versions!)
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER/old-versions (no longer there)
o Others are VirtualDub, AviDemux, AviSynth, oxelon, totallyfreeconverter
https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdub/files/virtualdub-win/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/files/latest/download
https://sourceforge.net/projects/avisynth2/files/latest/download
http://www.oxelon.com/media_converter.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/oxelonmediaconv/files/oxelonmediaconv/oxelonplugins/oxelonplugins.exe/download
http://www.sabsoft.com/TotallyFreeConverter.htm

o And the US/Euro patents expired on ffmpeg so you no longer need lame
https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html
--
The experiences of others drastically reduces the high cost of freeware.
Old August 3rd 20, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
nospam

In article , Arlen Holder
wrote:

the easiest method is to rotate it directly in the video player.
nointermediate conversion needed.

While rotating it every time anyone views it will work,
each person has to figure out how to do that on each
platform that is viewing the video.

no they don't.

That's not efficient, IMHO, overall.

clicking a rotate button is a *lot* easier to figure out and far more
efficient than obtaining a separate app and generating a converted file
every time.
Old August 3rd 20, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Arlen Holder[_6_]

On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 14:23:23 -0400, nospam wrote:

clicking a rotate button is a *lot* easier to figure out and far more
efficient than obtaining a separate app and generating a converted file
every time.

Hi nospam,

I agree that clicking on a rotate button is the easiest, but the
recipient's video player has to have that rotate button, where we have no
idea what video player the recipient will be using (or even what platform
they're on).

Nonetheless, I do agree with you that rotating it in the app, if the app
has that feature, is certainly about as easy as we could hope for.

But I prefer to rotate it so that nobody else has to.

BTW, I realized, only belatedly, there's a problem with my shotcut tutorial
that nobody noticed yet, which is that the resolution, by default, is such
that the resulting rotated video is sometimes "chopped" at the edges.

That's because (apparently) of how Shotcut sets the default resolution
based on the first frame, where some people literally load a JPEG of the
desired resolution as the first frame of the video timeline in Shotcut, but
that's getting more complicated, so I'm going to further explore the
Handbrake, FFMPEG and Avisynth suggestions, all of which I have on my
system, since the goal is the simplest 90-degree rotation on Windows.