July or August better for Yosemite/Sierras trip?

Old November 5th 04, 05:14 PM
Charles M. Kozierok

Default July or August better for Yosemite/Sierras trip?

I am starting to make preliminary plans for a possible 3-week trip out
west next summer. We would spend some time in the SF area, then about a
week in Yosemite and an additional week or so doing Mono Lake, the
Bishop area, Bodie and so forth in the eastern high Sierras.

What I am wondering is... will early July be a good time to do this
trip, from both a "general enjoyment" standpoint as well as
photographically? If not, would early August be better? Or neither?

I realize that there will be a lot of crowds then. Given the mid-summer
timing, our plans would be to spend most of our time at the higher
elevations, not amongst the throngs in Yosemite Valley. We plan to do
day hiking but not overnight hiking.

Your honest opinions and recommendations much appreciated. (But please
don't tell me "oh you should go in October" or whatever... we have kids
who will be in camp in the summer, and that's the only time we can do
this.)

Specific areas I am wondering about whether July or August would be
better:

1. Which month has better wildflowers?

2. Is there any difference in waterfall flow between the months or is it
all over by July anyway?

3. Will the trails in the higher elevations be too mucky for use in July?

4. Is there any difference in terms of the likelihood of forest fires?

Thanks.

peace,

-*-
charles
Old November 5th 04, 05:56 PM

Charles M. Kozierok wrote:

What I am wondering is... will early July be a good time to do this
trip, from both a "general enjoyment" standpoint as well as
photographically? If not, would early August be better? Or neither?

Early July should be great. Just avoid the 4th.

--
http://yosemitenews.info/

Old November 5th 04, 06:35 PM
Charles M. Kozierok

In article , wrote:
} In article ,
} Charles M. Kozierok wrote:
}
} What I am wondering is... will early July be a good time to do this
} trip, from both a "general enjoyment" standpoint as well as
} photographically? If not, would early August be better? Or neither?
}
} Early July should be great. Just avoid the 4th.

Thanks.

Is the 4th bad just in the Valley or everywhere?

If the passes open late due to snow does this mean the trails in the
high country might still be snowed in in early July?

peace,

-*-
charles

Old November 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Charles M. Kozierok

In article , wrote:
} In article ,
} Charles M. Kozierok wrote:
}
} Is the 4th bad just in the Valley or everywhere?
}
} Everywhere. The 4th is the most popular time of year
} for Yosemite.

Other areas of the sierras as bad? Maybe we will stay in SF area at that
time.

} high country might still be snowed in in early July?
}
} I did an early July backpack in an El Nino year. The snow wasn't
} too bad below 10,000' and even there it was passable.

El Nino's are the bad winters for you guys out there... so I guess
that's okay.

Thanks a lot!

peace,

-*-
charles

Old November 5th 04, 08:50 PM
Doug Chadduck

In case no one else touches on it, make sure you have reservations for
whenever you decide. We usually go to the valley for several days in
Early May and again in August and our reservations are made a year and a
day in advance. These are for cabins, but even campgrounds can sell out
well in advance. Staying outside but close to Yosemite is doable also.
Web searches will easily bring up the available accomodations.
Regardless, I can't imagine not enjoying Yosemite. It has some
spectacular scenery. A bit of people tolerance and you should have no
problems. Enjoy.