"Why Raw" Article

Old September 1st 05, 11:18 AM
Tony Polson

Slack wrote:

I only have one comment: It would be cool if you made your articles in
an easy to print format, like pdf. I wanted to read it this morning,
but was running a little late.... I could've printed it and read it
during my lunch break.

If you are so unhappy, why don't you ask Ron for a refund?

;-)
Old September 1st 05, 12:48 PM
Mike Warren

Tony Polson wrote:
Slack wrote:

I only have one comment: It would be cool if you made your articles
in an easy to print format, like pdf. I wanted to read it this
morning, but was running a little late.... I could've printed it
and read it during my lunch break.

If you are so unhappy, why don't you ask Ron for a refund?

;-)

He's such a nice bloke, I think he would give double your money
back. :-)

-Mike

Old September 1st 05, 10:10 PM

In message ,
"David J Taylor"

wrote:

You mean that the 8-bit TIFF is gamma-corrected as well as the JPEG, and
that at the range in the TIFF from lowest brightness levels to the highest
exceeds that of a 12-bit RAW file?

From what I've seen and heard, a TIFF is more likely to be literal in
it's 2.2 gamma in the shadows, whereas a JPEG is more likely to render
the deeper shadows even deeper, to hide noise.

12-bit - 4096 linear levels from 0 to 4095 - range 4095:1

Yes, literally; level 4095 is 4095 times as bright as level 1.

8-bit gamma corrected, 255 levels from 5E-6 to 1 (or 0.001 to 255) - range
200,000:1

In therms of luminance, it is actually (255^2.2):1 or 196,965:1.
--

John P Sheehy

Old September 2nd 05, 12:58 AM
Slack

Ed Ruf wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:29:33 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Slack
wrote:

I only have one comment: It would be cool if you made your articles in
an easy to print format, like pdf. I wanted to read it this morning,
but was running a little late.... I could've printed it and read it
during my lunch break.

FWIW, some newer printers have a util to help print web pages. What's the
problems with the pages that you couldn't print them? Too wide, choose
landscape. Otherwise you can use Adobe Acrobat to print through Distiller
to PDF. if you want something like this.
----------
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )

Actually, that is what I tried to do and my printer is brand spanking
new (Dell 3100cn).

Some of the graphics were getting split between two different pages.
Some of the gray side bars in the 2nd half of the article got all
jacked up: overlapping with the main text. I tired playing around
resizing the print, but no joy. I tried to print via two web browsers,
FF & Mozilla.... maybe that was the problem??

What is Distiller? I'm always willing to learn new stuff.

--
Slack
Old September 2nd 05, 01:00 AM
Slack

Mike Warren wrote:

Tony Polson wrote:

Slack wrote:

I only have one comment: It would be cool if you made your articles
in an easy to print format, like pdf. I wanted to read it this
morning, but was running a little late.... I could've printed it
and read it during my lunch break.

If you are so unhappy, why don't you ask Ron for a refund?

;-)

He's such a nice bloke, I think he would give double your money
back. :-)

-Mike

I'm such a valued customer, he gave triple my $$ back. So there :-D

--
Slack
Old September 2nd 05, 04:35 AM
Beach Bum

Actually, that is what I tried to do and my printer is brand spanking
new (Dell 3100cn).

you're printer driver should have a print-to-fit option. it's fairly
common. else, some of the alternative browsers will actually resize the
page graphics and all (not just the font like IE).

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com