UK Digital Photography Magazines - Which one???

Old December 15th 04, 08:12 PM
Richard Hamilton

Default UK Digital Photography Magazines - Which one???

Hi,

I had owned a Sony digital compact for a number of years and enjoyed taking
photos with it and figured that some of those were pretty good efforts
considering the equipment and my totally non-serious approach to
photography.

Anyway, I decided that I would like to take my photography more seriously
and so recently purchased a Canon EOS 300D.

My question today is - can anyone recommend any of the multitude of digital
photography magazines available in the UK?

I appreciate that this is going to be down to personal preferences but if
there is any publication that stands out in the responses I receive then it
may be a helpful starting point. Likewise, if anyone thinks any of them are
particularly bad please say so.

It's just I visited my local newsagent to day and ended up leaving empty
handed as I just couldn't decide - there must have been 6-8 different
DIGITAL magazines along side the likes of Practical Photography, Amateur
Photographer...

I just want something that's going to keep me abreast of developments, show
some equipment tests/reviews and possibly teach me something about using my
new camera. Bearing in mind I'm using a digital SLR, a magazine crammed full
of info on the compacts may not be as helpful to me. Or should I just buy a
good old fashioned photography magazine? Practical Photography claims to be
the biggest seller in the UK.

Thanks for your help

Richard

Old December 15th 04, 08:37 PM
Owamanga

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:12:37 GMT, "Richard Hamilton"
wrote:

[...]

I got one here in the US (We import a lot of UK photo mags, because
the US ones are mainly CRAP), a couple of months ago that was good
(Sep04). It had a cover CD full of photoshop video tutorials that tied
in with the mag articles. It's always a giggle to see how much the
Brits have to pay for kit too.

'Digital Photo' (Very original name...)

You can subscribe/see the cover he www.greatmagazines.co.uk

The website is a bit buggered at the moment, try searching for
'Digital Photo' once you get there, rather than clicking on the
cover-image icon.

Personally, I would never limit myself to buying only digital mags,
photography is photography regardless of the equipment being used,
what I *don't* by is dark-room mags because my time doing that stuff
is over now.

--
Owamanga!
Old December 15th 04, 09:32 PM
Angela

"Owamanga" wrote in message

I got one here in the US (We import a lot of UK photo mags, because
the US ones are mainly CRAP), a couple of months ago that was good
(Sep04). It had a cover CD full of photoshop video tutorials that tied
in with the mag articles. It's always a giggle to see how much the
Brits have to pay for kit too.

'Digital Photo' (Very original name...)

I second that Digital photo is my favourite. I loved the last edition
(December) focussing on B&W in photoshop - it's definitely a keeper. The
other one I like is Total Digital Photography. I alsways buy those two but
I do by others depending on what features they have in them that month.

Personally, I would never limit myself to buying only digital mags,
photography is photography regardless of the equipment being used,

I second that one too - other mags can give you great tips on composition
and lighting

Old December 15th 04, 10:12 PM
teflon

On 15/12/04 8:12 pm, in article ,
"Richard Hamilton" wrote:

[...]

Here, a "non-serious approach to photography" is like blood to a vampire. ;]

Old December 16th 04, 01:21 AM
Geoff Jackson

Online mag at www.ephotozine.com/

--
Geoff Jackson, Nottingham, UK.

www.gjphoto.f9.co.uk
(Remove the obvious to reply)

Old December 16th 04, 02:26 PM
Lucrezia Herman

In message , Geoff Jackson
writes
[...]

I'll second the comment about ePhotozine above - it's an excellent
online community. The various UK digital mags have been repositioning
themselves in the last few months as digital has finally taken the lead
here. Long-term readers like me have seen the results as "dumbing
down", while newer readers (many of whom are just happy to learn how to
take better family snapshots) are finding themselves welcomed with lots
of more basic articles. General photo mags like Practical Photography
have succumbed to this as well, even though their publishers cater to
the digital market with separate titles.

If you are interested in photo *manipulation*, I would recommend Digital
Photo, Digital Camera, Digital Photo Effects (recently known as Digital
Photo Techniques) or Digital Photographer - at the moment, Digital Photo
appears to have the edge on well-written tutorials from comments I've
read in various forums. (Total Digital Photography - produced by the
publishers of Photography Monthly - has recently replaced its entire
original editorial team but, despite my appreciation of Will Cheung's
editorial abilities, I haven't been impressed with the new version.)
The others are way too basic (Digital Photography Made Easy, Digital
Photo User, etc.).

I'd say there are 3 "mainstream" photo mags here, all of which have
increased their specifically digital content to around 30% - I've never
liked Amateur Photo, but I subscribe to both Practical Photography
(which Will Cheung left last spring) and Photography Monthly (which he
now oversees), and the changes in both titles reflect his involvement.
PP has declined markedly, despite its recent cosmetic overhaul and PM
has been an exceptionally good read. If you are interested in B&W
images, then I'd recommend Black & White Photography, which contains
*some* specifically digital content, and lots of stunning images. In
any case, make sure you check out the mags' web sites before making a
decision, as many of them contain past articles and current contents
info. I have a list of links he
http://www.dont-blink.net/luplinks.htm

-Lucrezia
--
http://www.dont-blink.net/lining_up.htm

Old December 16th 04, 06:13 PM
digiboy

Digital photo is my favourite; also Total Digital Photography is
normally good, but been varied recently, and I suppose I should admit to
an interest in TDP as I went to colleage with the editor (who also
reviews for www.dpreview.com) and last year won one of their monthly
competitions, but stay well clear of Digital Photography Made Easy as
its full of cr*p and contains many factual inaccuracies. I bought it by
accident